Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgoddess_01

Can't seem to get the 'wiggling' right

dreamgoddess
16 years ago

I've been watching the Donna Dewberry video and using the practice sheets that I got on ebay. I'm so frustrated! I just can not seem to figure out how to wiggle the brush so the petals come out right. My practice petals are pathetic!

The very first stroke that I do is the only one that looks halfway decent. After that, it's like both colors have blended completely and I'm only painting with one color.

This is definitely NOT as easy as it looks!

Comment (1)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Dreamgoddess, glad to hear you are practicing. No, it is not as easy as she makes it look--but it does get easier the more you do it.

When you are watching the video--pay attention to how she holds the brush and what position it is in. Rewind and watch again. You will see that she grips the brush fairly close to the metal part and holds it straight up. Now press and stroke the first "wiggle" two or three times to spread your bristles on your brush, then continue the rest of the wiggle strokes for that petal. Lift your brush, tip it in your two colors again and do the same thing for the next stroke. Does that make any sense? If you watch her closely , you will see that she picks up more paint frequently.

Don't give up, all of a sudden it will just "happen" and then you will wonder why you thought it was so hard! At least that is how it was for me.

Now I am trying to learn to paint one stroke bows, and really struggling with the "flip the brush over" part. I'm sure I will finally "get it", but like you said--Not as easy as it looks. ;o)

Luvs