Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting on fabric applied to wood

Posted by kitrink (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 15:32

Does anyone have directions for prepping wood and fabric and then applying the fabric to the wood piece so that then the patterned fabric can be highlighted with paint? I am making spindle santas and want to apply the fabric to a flat part of the spindle.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting on fabric applied to wood

I've used fabric as a background and then painted on top of it...is that what you are trying to do?

If so, all I've done is decoupaged the fabric on and then paint on top of it.

o

Thank you kraftymom for your quick response. I have never decoupaged. Would you apply Mod Podge to the wood spindle or fabric or both .....then wrap the fabric around with a small amount of overlap in the back?

o

First make sure the wood surface is smooth; sand if necessary and wipe clean with a clean cloth.

When using fabric I always apply the glue to the wood surface then apply my fabric. Doing it that way allows me to manipulate the fabric to fit correctly and lay flat. I then roll over the surface with a brayer to remove any air bubbles. Once that's done I decoupage over it.

If you are going to paint on the decoupaged fabric I recommend using a matte finish.

o

Thank you so much for your help, kraftymom

o

If you can, share a pic when your done. Your project sounds cute!

o

I did this technique years ago...what I did was applied "wonder under" to the back of fabric and then ironed the fabric to the wood. I would use a razor blade to trim the fabric to fit the wood. I have some pieces that have been finished for years without any peeling problems.

o

Ok, this may be a bit late but I remember now how we did it. first put about 3 coats of acrylic sealer on the fabric you are going to use. After it is dry, cut out your pattern and glue to the wood piece. I have done several Nancy Lenski pieces this way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here