Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

My painted jeans

paintingfool
17 years ago

Finally, I have finished a couple of projects and thought you might like to see my jeans. The first shot is the Scarlet Macaw on the front of the left leg of jeans, the second shot is the back of the jeans. It is painted with So Soft paints and was a lot of fun to paint. Mind you, I don't even wear jeans but I think my sister will love this.

This forum is so slow right now, I guess everyone is out working in their yards. The weather is so nice right now, in the high 70's and low 80's. Perfect time to plant my flowers - if you knew me you would be laughing because I can paint flowers but can't grow them. LOL

I am finishing up a Santa, just have to do his beard. Will post again soon. {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}
bebe

Comments (18)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Painting fool, your painting is a work of art! My goodness--you even have highlights on your little squiggly's. ;o) Just beautiful, Im sure your sister will be thrilled. I'll look forward to seeing your Santa too. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Wow, Bebe, that is beautiful. Very detailed. I'm sure she will love those. If my DD saw them, she'd be putting me up to trying something like that. :) Do you have to put something in between the pants layers so that the paint doesn't go thru or does it just stay on top. I love your choice of colors and everything.
    Sorry, I've been taking my DM to drs appts and therapy appts so haven't been home to paint or get online much. Look forward to seeing your Santa. Gotta dash. ~Anj

• jlily
    17 years ago

BeBe, Your McCaw is georgous. You did a great job. anyone would be thrilled with that.

You are so right I'm having trouble staying in with it being so nice outside right now. Jlily

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Oh wow, those are fantastic jeans.

Sal

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, Sal, Jlily - Thank you very much.

Ang, when I paint on fabric - which isn't often right now, I use foam board ($2.68 for a large piece at Walmart) to slip between the legs so the paint doesn't bleed through. However, with the jeans, there was no bleed through on the back side. You don't use water, just the So Soft paint and a blending medium. The So Soft paints are relatively inexpensive - about $1.04 each at Hufcraft. I transferred the pattern first with a chalk fabric pencil, then outlined the bird and branches with a permanent pen. A lot of times I make copies of my pattern on clean transparency so I can proof the design as I paint. My grand daughter loves them also - she has decided she wants the same thing painted on her pants. The grandsons are only interested if I can paint Power Rangers - I have copied a few from coloring books and put it on their shirts and backpacks.

It is hard to believe that I have not worn a pair of jeans in 30 years - never felt comfortable in them. My kids think I am wierd because I have to "get dressed" to even go to the store.LOL

Thanks again ladies.

• defrost49
    17 years ago

Beautiful work Paintingfool!!! Making transparencies to proof the pattern is a terrific idea. Also to use foamcore board. I like to iron freezer wrap to the back side of shirts so I don't get bleed through plus it stabilizes the fabric if you're painting tees. I saw some painted jeans in the Coldwater Creek catalog. My husband hates jeans and I don't think he ever wore them. Said they were too hot. We have two little granddaughters now so I've been thinking of painting some outfit for them when they aren't growing so quickly.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think painting on fabric is coming back in. I also use freezer wrap but didn't this time because I cut the foam board to the same size of the pant leg. I do, however, use freezer wrap for palette paper - it is cheaper than the acrylic palette paper you buy in the store. My grand daughter has already picked out a couple of pants for me to paint on for her. For her 100th day of school she wanted a tan t-shirt with 100 cheetah spots on it - she's a cheetah girl, you see - but I sure don't want to have to do that again.LOL

If you are ever looking for a book on birds, Kathwryn Jenkins has one with full size patterns. It is an older book but is just beautiful. She paints in oils but it can be adapted.

BTW, I don't recall seeing your name before, so welcome. We have a great bunch of painters on this site. Bebe

• Cheri_C
    17 years ago

WOW, Awesome, Awesome!!! Great job painting on your jeans!!!

• defrost49
    17 years ago

Thanks for the welcome, Paintingfool. I don't paint or get here very often. Liked your project with Bobbi Campbell. Really nice highlights/mopping.

• thrift_shop_romantic
    17 years ago

Beautiful job-- you have some real, serious talent.

• thebizziemom
    17 years ago

This is my first time to visit this forum. I visit garden junk. Your jeans are awesome. I have been fabric painting for years and I hope it comes back in style! Painted jeans for girls have been selling on ebay. Perhaps that is a good sign. After reading some of the other posts I read that you are from Pensacola. I live just north of Pensacola in Molino. I will be visiting this forum often and will look forward to seeing more of your beautiful painting.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

(If they are selling painted jeans on ebay then we think paintingfool could make a bundle!! She does beautiful work.)

Just wanted to add my hello and welcome to defrost, Thriftshopromantic and bizziemom. Hope you'll check out our gallery and join in on any conversations too. If you have any pictures to share we love pictures!! Even if they are projects you've done in the past. Very glad to have ya'll with us. Come back often!! Most of us travel around to crafts, holidays and garden junk too so we'll most likely catch you somewhere along the way. :) ~Anj

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bizziemom, you are just north of me, I live by the University. If you are interested in painting, we have a local chapter of the Society of Decorative Painters. We meet at the Baptist Medical Park on 9 Mile Road and University Parkway the first Saturday of every month starting at 9 am. We will be painting tropical fish on shirts at our next meeting in May. We would love for you to stop by and visit. We have a different project every month, April's project was a Santa painted on a cypress knee. In July we have Christmas ornments and a Santa in August.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore the comments from anjabee, thrift shop romantic, defrost49, and cherri c. I just got excited to hear from someone living near by. I appreciate all of your nice compliments.

I am going to check out the ebay jeans. I wish we had a place here in our area to sell what we paint but unfortunately, the little shops have all closed but maybe like everything else they will make a return.

Thanks again yall.

• thebizziemom
    17 years ago

I would love to be able to come paint with ya'll. Right now I am busy organizing arts day for our local elementary school. I am looking for artists that would enjoy showing their talent with the children. Paintingfool, since you are local, perhaps you would be interested in participating. It is a lot of fun. I will have a display of my things there but I will have to let a volunteer show my things. I would love for you to see the murals that parent volunteers have been painting on the walls of the school. I am incharge of that project. We call it "Murals by Many" If you are interested or would like to talk with me further about this please email me (thebizziemom@yahoo.com) Hope to hear from you soon.
    Happy Painting!
    Peg

• mydream
    17 years ago

Thank you for the pictures PF.
    It inspires me to get my paints out.

Spring has finally arrived at my end of the world.
    The crocuses are in bloom, so garden here I come.
    I love seeing what everyone else is painting. Thank You everyone!

• thrift_shop_romantic
    17 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome. :-) Funny, I've all around here for months on Gardenweb but don't make it much to some of the subsections-- and with each subsection I manage to encounter a whole new group of folks-- very fun!

I've been hugely impressed with all the work you all have done-- it's marvelous to see. I'm still very much working on free handing roses so they'll look like, well, roses. I hope someday to get anywhere near the level of the rest of you folks. I'll put a link below to what I think is one of my better decorative painting projects-- my TV armoire.

http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/The_Thrift_Shop_Romantic/Mille-Fleurs_TV_Armoire.html

Can't wait to see what other beautiful things you all come up with!

--Jenn

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hope both of you checked out our gallery section as well as this side, we have pics both places.

I agree, Gardenweb is so fun and lots of nice people and fun topics too.

I'm off to look at your projects TSR. Thanks for posting your link.

Luvs

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz