Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

my connie parkinson painting

paintingfool
17 years ago

I love painting on boxes, this one in particular because the top is concave. This is from a class I took with Connie. It was a very loose acrylic style using a lot of paint to blend the back ground. {{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    17 years ago

I'm drooling all over this one!! What size is it? Love the detail on the pillow and blanket.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Wow PF~ that is gorgeous!!! I need to get in some classes! It's just lovely. I'm in the drooling club with gracie! :) ~Anj

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is about 10"x14". In class my stones came out looking like biscuits and I didn't have the folds on the blanket like I wanted but when I got home I worked on the stones and blanket until it looked better. That's the way it is sometimes for me, I concentrate so hard in class that I can't "see" my painting. For the stones, once I got them where they weren't all in a straight line, I used the fan brush to pull grass up and it hid the imperfection. Thanks for the nice comments. I am going to Georgia next week to take a class on fabric painting. We will paint an old ironing board Santa on Saturday and a parrot on the pant leg of jeans on Sunday. I need classes to keep me motivated.

17 years ago

Pardon my asking, but why do you take so many classes? Are you a professional, or is this a hobby? The reason I ask is that I took some classes from M. Lynn Brand, who has a couple of pattern books published. She goes all over taking classes.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

PF, as always your painting is just beautiful. That is just "my style" with all the soft colors, lace and roses--when you get tired of it, you can send it to me! ;o)
    Obviously, classes and experience really pay off, your painting always looks so professional. ;o) Luvs

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gracie, I love to paint and I wish it was professional but I rarely sell anything except at Christmas. Classes keep me motivated. Now that I am retired I really should think about submitting some of my original stuff to magazines or as patterns. I am not very confident in my work, while it looks good to me it may not to others. And I am all over the place - painting acrylics, watercolors, oils, on fabric, wood, etc. I probably should become more proficient in one area.

I have about 1000 bottles of paint, a tacklebox full of oil paints, more brushes than you can imagine and books - well, I have a four drawer file cabinet full of books!! Some of my books are 25 years old but they still have wonderful patterns in them. I have been a member of the Society of Decorative Painters (check out the website: www.decorativepainters.org) for more than 20 years and I have every issue of their magazine published (only 6 a year). Unfortunately, I have not heard of M. Lynn Brand but I think you can learn something from everyone and if I can take away even just a tidbit from a class I am satisfied. I once took a class from Priscilla Hauser - I was totally embarrassed when she singled me out in class and complimented me on my painting - I can't even take compliments well. I just hope what I post on here inspires everyone to keep painting - and practice makes perfect which is what I am still working towards.

17 years ago

Well I think you're already PERFECT!!!

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

ARE YOU KIDDING PAINTINGFOOL - I AGREE, IT'S PERFECT!!!

SAL

• amandac2006
    17 years ago

I have a few of her books and paintings. I actually won one of hers at Kaswood a few years back. Would you be interested in a trade? emmi5ca@yahoo.com

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Painting Fool - may I ask: How is it you take these painting classes with all these "top notch professional decorative painters" - are you in a State that they just happen to be in and are offering a course, or do you travel to one of their painting seminars? Just curious.

As I relook at your painting above and then read your words: ---I am not very confident in my work, while it looks good to me it may not to others.--- I, myself am not confident in my work, heck I come no where's close to even painting like you do, it behooves me that you think that way of your painting. You are surely one of the finest painters I've, and I'm sure others on the forum here will agree, ever seen. Your paintings speak "Confidence" for themselves. Just like your Painted Jeans post, it's so beautiful. You should definitely be selling your creations and for a pretty penny too. What YOU paint is worth every dime.

Sal

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sal, you must be a truly wonderful person!! Thanks for the confidence boost. I belong to the National Society of Tole and Decorative Painters (since 1985) check out their website. We have a local chapter. The primary focus of our chapter is to paint and we sponsor national teachers to come paint with us 3-4 times a year. There are chapters all over the United States, at least four within 3 hours drive of my home. Those chapters do the same thing. For instance, I took the Connie Parkinson painting in Crestview, Florida and the painted jeans in Enterprise, Alabama. I also travel to the National Convention anytime it is within a days drive from Florida. There is another convention in Houston in July and one in Ohio in August, I will be going to the one in Ohio. Over the past 25 years I have painted with Priscilla Hauser, Sherry Nelson, Bobbi Campbell, Jeanne Downing, Lousie Jackson, Connie Parkinson,Diane Richards, Elisabeth Pruitt Hayes, Gloria Gravasso, beautiful portrait teachers from California - Joy Wilson, among many others. Each of these ladies have a different style of painting and use different painting medium - watercolor, oil, and acrylic.

I am attempting to work on submitting samples of my work to the painting magazines and I am teaching more now that I am retired. I hope to either sell online or open a shop sometime in the near future where I can feature not only what I paint but I would like to take in items from other artesans - those who may not be able to compete with the more well known artists. But I still want to teach. There are so many painters out there who just have not learned some of the techniques and tricks to painting. It is very difficult to learn from books - in my opinion. I think when a person has the visual, then the feel of the painting they would be suprised how well they can actually paint. If you ever have any questions on techniques or anything to do with painting, please feel free to ask me. I may not know the answer but could probably could find an answer from my large collection of books.

Thanks again.
    PF

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Nahhh, I'm just Sally - but would you mind telling that to my "ex's!" LOL. PF, deserve every word of praise spoken by me or others in the forum. Years ago I wish I would have pursued my love of painting more than I did. It's mostly for fun that I do it.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH