Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

Donna Dewberry's new painting style

paintingfool
17 years ago

I watched Donna yesterday with the new High Definition paints, so tell me, what did yall think? I don't know what High Definition means but it looks like it works a bit like tube acylics.

Comments (5)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi PF, I haven't watched it yet--plan to catch it today. I'll let you know what I think.

I wasn't too impressed with the metalics--guess they have their place, and then she was doing "updated" designs that sort of looked "mod", those weren't anything I cared for either--but I still enjoyed watching her paint them! Ha ha

I'm curious to see what this will be--after all, she has to keep coming up with new things to keep all her followers buying her products! LOL

Luvs

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, I love to watch her paint also. I didn't like the new canvases. For me the colors are too bright and look very amateurish - but I have to remind myself she is new to this type of painting. She is very smart to start looking into other painting avenues otherwise her students will get burned out on painting the same way all the time. As with any good teacher, she is growing along with her students, you have to admire her for that. You know what I admire most about her? She gets up there, enthusiatic and really sells her product, even when her demonstrations are not her best painting - she is proud of it and keeps right on going.

The metallics are not my thing either, but they do have a place in decorative painting. I do a lot of stroke work in metallics but I have never done a complete piece in metallics - that reminds me of "chinoserie" (misspelled).

If she comes back on today, I am going to watch again. You never know when you might learn something new.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

I agree P.F.--love to watch her, and her enthusiasm and can do attitude is contagious. She has been a huge business success with it too--and never acts uppity or like she is an expert. Just says she is self-taught and trying to make painting pretty things as easy as possible.

You have really mastered allot of painting skills and do beautiful work---but bet even you would agree that sometimes just reading the directions in some painting books where they do the shading with three different colors and there is so much detail and so many color changes that you are too tired to paint after just reading it! LOL

We were gone all day, so I didn't get to see her on tv--darn, I should have recorded it.

Luvs

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You are so right!! Sometimes painters who author a book have such poor instructions or they use so many colors or mixes it makes you not even want to attempt the project. Most painters want instant gratification - like me. A lot of times if I am painting a project from a book, I might read through to see what colors they are using, then I decide what colors I want to use and then do my own thing.

I recently painted with Bobbie Campbell. She uses a mop brush to work her paints. She wets the area she plans to float on shading, then picking up paint with no water in the brush and blending it on the palette just a couple of times, she floats on the color then with the mop brush comes back and pounces from the dark side to the area where there is no color. She does the same with highlights. I am attaching my project piece and a copy of her piece. Notice the glass, the "white" of the glass is floated on then mopped out. It makes a smoother blended look. There is a back to back float on the cup - and if you have every tried to get that shine on ribbons or glass, you know how hard it is. But with the mop brush, you start pouncing in the middle and work your way out. It leaves no definite line in the middle. I need to work on mine because the book has nothing to hold it up. {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

I have done some back to back floating, but that truly does look much softer. I don't have a mop brush, but will keep that in mind. This picture is so pretty. The floated shade reminds me of my attempts at a ghost that was slightly see thru--same concept I think. Luvs