Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightlilly

My new project...

nightlilly
17 years ago

I decided to build a simple wooden frame of sorts out of 2" x 1" wood, my sister recently gave me a bunch of planks that are about 4' long. I bought some tiny cup hooks and I want to stagger them under the top edge of the frame to hang necklaces. I should mention now that I'm REALLY bad at building things and I don't have the right tools to build things to begin with.

I cut mitered corners with my scroll saw, which turned out better than I expected, but the nails I have aren't made for building things and they keep pulling out. Soooo, I've glued the corners with wood glue and stapled the back of the frame on the seams with a heavy duty stapler. I'm hoping that all of this will hold it together...lol

After all of this, I think I may just paint it a solid color and do a simple stencil on the sides. I don't know if I can handle it falling apart after I put extra time into painting it nice. Maybe if I put enough base coats on, it'll help hold it all together more. Wish me luck...lol

Nightlilly

Comments (8)

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Sounds cute Nightlilly, can you post a pic? What kind of nails are you using that they keep falling out?

Sal

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I need to buy a digital camera one of these days, I keep stealing my sisters..lol..when I get the project finished I'll borrow her camera and post a picture.

I bought a little kit for hanging pictures a while back, it has all the little doodads for hanging things and it has nails of differents sizes that coordinate with different sized hooks. I imagine the hooks are nailed into the wall but the nails are meant to go in at a downward angle "/" so they weren't made to hold thngs together. The nails are smooth and don't have any grip to them. I could be completely wrong and it could just be my horrible ability to build things. I thought I had regular nails but after I cut the wood pieces, I couldn't find any and I'm not the type of person who can wait until I go buy the right ones.

Nightlilly

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Nightlilly, just be sure to let the glue dry really well before you handle it again. Then you will probably be okay. Sounds like a cute idea, can't wait to see your pics. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Sounds fun. I'll be waiting to see the pics too. ~Anj

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Well then I'll just wait patiently for a pic Nightlilly. I had to giggle at your thought of "can't wait till I get the right one" for the job - that's me to a T!!! I have had way too many "make-do's" around here and sometimes the results were disasterous. An ole' joke between friends: "I don't need a man, I got duct tape and WD40."

As for a digital camera, I know the feeling my friend. I bought mine on QVC a couple years ago and the only way I could get it was "on-sale" -and- using their payment method. You can actually call QVC and ask them on the phone about a certain product and/or for a program schedule for what they'll have on and when. Or, you can check out their website (qvc.com) and check out the products, then go to the "brand name" website and compare prices. The few things I've bought on QVC were "high quality" and not junk if any are wondering. I was very satisfied with the products.

Sal

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Sal, Thanks for the advice. I don't know why I didn't think of buying one on payments. I had forgotten that I had a Gateway credit card from a few years ago when I purchased a computer. I had paid that off almost right away but I still have a credit account with them. Anyway, I started looking around there but my sister suggested looking on Wal-mart.com, they're cheaper and they have a "bill me later" option, kind of like a credit card where they send you statements and you make payments. So I ordered a relatively cheap one and ofcourse since I'm making payments anyway, I got the expedited shipping...lol

Nightlilly

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Yeah, now we will have more pics to see. Good for you. ;o) Luvs

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Good for you Nightlilly, can't wait to see all the pics of your stuff.

Sal

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler