Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightlilly

Any ideas for beginners project?

nightlilly
17 years ago

My mother was recently laid off from work and has decided to go back to school but she has a lot of extra time on her hands. I've been trying to talk her into painting with me, I think she might enjoy it. Crafting talent runs in the genes of our family, everything from sewing (even the men sew) and knitting to flower arranging, woodworking and painting, so I know she can do this. I want to start her out slow and get her hooked..lol My very first project was a simple side view of an apple pie in the tin with a slice of apple. It had all the basics..highlighting, shading, not a lot of detail. I usually save my patterns but I can't find this one anywhere and I REALLY don't want to draw something out and frustrate myself before I even get started...lol

Does anyone have any ideas or links for an easy beginners project? I've done a few web searchs and I'm not really coming up with anything.

Thanks,

Nightlilly

Comments (8)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear about your Mom's layoff. The first thought that came to my mind for easy beginner painting was Pat Olsen patterns. She does some cute but very simple designs. Make sure you find something that your Mom can actually use after she paints it. Does she collect apple items? Or does she prefer bunnies, roosters, flowers? She could make a plaque for her kitchen, or a plant poke to go in a flower pot, maybe a little wooden box to hold treasures--something she will get to use and enjoy seeing. Nothing worse than making something that you have no where to display. Sounds like lots of talent in the family--just show her one step at a time, and see if she finds it fun. I know not everyone likes it, but One Stroke painting can be very addictive, and Donna Dewberry claims anyone can learn to paint using her methods. Maybe some of the other gals on here will have suggestions for you too. Luvs.

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Luvs,

I found a project that looks pretty simple, I actually found it by accident. I have a website saved to my favorites list, I ment to click on the link for this board and hit that one on accident...lol It's the very top project on the freebie page of "puddles of paint" website. It's a bunny notepad holder. I was so excited that I ran out in the garage and cut 2 of them right away. Now I just have to get her to sit down and paint with me, she has my nephews all weekend.

Nightlilly

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Nightlilly, I took a look at the website to see the pattern. That is darling, I am sure your Mom will love it! Isn't it great to be able to run out and cut out the wood pieces you need? Anjabee has a saw and her DH is building her a bench for it, so she will be learning to cut her own wood too. I love my scroll saws and sander. Love the smell of the wood, and the convenience of being able to cut out what I want. Hope your Mom loves painting, that will be a great way for some "girl" time together. :o) Luvs

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have my saw on an old kitchen table...lol and yes, I just LOVE being able to cut my own pieces, I had a little trouble drilling holes but it worked out. I ended up painting those with my sister, I just couldn't talk my mother into it but I'm not giving up yet...lol

Nightlilly

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Nlilly~ I thought I had written you a little note here, but it's not here. Lost in cyberspace I guess. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I bumped up our list of freebie sites for you. There are some other great sites there to explore. Puddles of Paint is on there too I think. Glad you found something to paint even if it was with your sis.
    ~Anj

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Anj, I love the freebie list, I keep going back through it everytime I get a chance. Is there a limit to how many websites you can add to your Favorites list on Internet Explorer??...I hope not...lol

Nightlilly

• anjabee
    17 years ago

If there's a limit I haven't reached it yet and I have tons and still adding more. ha Makes me think I should probably back that sucker up today. What would I do if I lost that??? The horror!! ha ~Anj

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know...lol...I have mine organized into 10 different folders and still have 20 or so that aren't.

Nightlilly

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert