Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

My sunflowers

paintingfool
17 years ago

I painted these in a watercolor class several weeks ago. Sorry the whole picture cannot be viewed, my scanner is not big enough. I have not finished it, I think it needs a bit more burnt sienna around the petals and I have to do something to the back ground. Thought you girls might like to see. {{!gwi}}

Comments (19)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

PF~ Your sunflowers look so warm and sunny! Too bad we can't see the whole pic, but it looks great. How big is the whole thing? ~Anj

• diarich
    17 years ago

They are beautiful!
    Great job!
    Hugs
    Diana

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Wow, those are looking really beautiful. Were these from your seminar? I've never tried watercolor, but I love the effect. Are you going to frame it? Thanks for sharing with us. Luvs

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

VERY BEAUTIFUL - I wish I could paint like that. As for scanning your pic and not getting all of it - take a digital photo of it and then upload your photo.

Sal

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Morning girls, the sunflowers are watercolor. I don't do watercolor very often but I took this in a seminar with a Sue Scheewe teacher. After posting I realized I need another leaf in the picture and I will probably glaze a blue around the flowers and let it run in drips on the bottom. The picture is 14"x18" and I will frame it for my second bedroom which is going to be in blue and yellow. I have a great digital camera but am very challenged when it comes to setting it up on the computer. Will get my sister over soon to do it for me.

Glad you all liked it. Now what about yall? Even if you haven't done anything lately, let's see what you have done in the past.

• calpat
    17 years ago

That is one gorgeous painting! I've never tried water colors, but watched Sue Scheewe, some time ago and she too was really good. I've got to stop this and get busy doing all this stuff I have planned! Organization!!that's what I need! LOL

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    17 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous; you are so talented.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again. I just posted that I wish we all lived near each other so we could paint together. I need to figure out my camera so I can take pictures of what I am doing - I haven't even hooked up my wireless mouse and video camera I received for Christmas 2005. I don't like fooling around with the computer - why do they have to be so complicated?
    Calpat - I don't do watercolor often and that is what Sue Scheewe does now. She use to do oils, then acrylics. But I have been taking classes every chance I get because I figure there is always something I can learn - and I like the chance to paint with a group.
    Thanks again, to all of you.

• thrift_shop_romantic
    17 years ago

Really lovely-- and very controlled-looking. I know watercolors can be really challenging and can tend to run amock. But you've captured the nice soft quality to them, while still keeping them defined.

Very nice.

--Jenn
    http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/

• mydream
    17 years ago

May I come over to your place and paint?
    Or you're welcome to come to mine and I'll even bake. :)

I like Sue, she makes painting seem so easy.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I live in Florida so if you ever come this way, give me a call and we will have a paint in. We have the most beautiful white beaches - even Hawaii cannot compare their beaches (tan sand) to our sugary white beaches with emerald green water. I also live in the first place city - which is older than St. Augustine. Our city, Pensacola, was founded first but a hurricane wiped out the fleet and when the Spaniards came back to Florida they settled in St. Augustine - but even so we are very proud of our town.

I like Sue Scheewe also, I met her at the National Society of Decorative Painters Convention in Nashville last year and she is the same in person as on TV - and her husband Stan Brown (has a large art and craft store) looks just like his carriacature.

I love to paint whether it is in watercolor, acrylics, or oils and can't imagine my life without a paintbrush in hand.

• mydream
    17 years ago

Wow..thanks very much for the invite. :)

I'm across the border from you and it's mighty cold here. At least the sun is shinning and I can dream of spring.

I did grow sunflowers last year and the squirrels loved them. :(
    Man..what nerve. At least I go some pictures. :)
    This year I bought "peach" colour sunflowers.

Here's a picture of one of the sunflowers I grew last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I love sunflowers. I want to plant a patch of the giant ones this year. Yours are pretty mydream. ~Anj

• mydream
    17 years ago

Thanks very much Anj!
    They're certainly bright and it does keep the birds and the squirrels busy.
    I just wish they would share some with me. :)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Love all these sunflowers--they are such a happy flower. One year some of the oiled sunflower seeds that I put out got blown onto the ground and grew--they got really big--I had to put stakes in next to them for extra support! Might have to try planting a few this year too--maybe by the wall this time. Thanks for the reminder. ;o) Luvs

• mydream
    17 years ago

Luvs;
    I too grew those big ones.
    They're the only ones that are too heavy for the squirrels to run away with. :)
    I planted red ones, red and yellow and "teddy bear" sunflowers. Digging those stalks up in the fall; that's something else. :)
    It's a great way to get pictures of birds and flowers to paint though.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't believe I have ever planted sunflowers but plan to this year. Behind our house our yard is very deep and on a bit of a slope, part is grass and the rest is natural. We don't have a lot of trees left since the hurricanes but I think the area would be nice for wildflowers and sunflowers, I am going to try it anyway.

Mydream - I didn't know sunflowers come in different colors, I think I will pay closer attention this year.

BTW, it was 81 degrees on Thursday, it would have been a great day to paint outdoors. Today, only about 68, can hardly wait for spring.

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Paintingfool, I was stationed at NAS Saufley Field back in May 73 when I was in the Navy. (I was only 18-19 at the time). Pensacola was my first duty station after going to Bootcamp in Orlando. You are so right when you say Pensacola beaches have the whitest sand. It was my first time away from home and I loved FL so much. I always said if I ever moved again, it'd be back to Pensacola. Cute story, me and a male friend from the Navy went down to the bogs one afternoon and had such a wonderful time just talking about how one day when we were "old" we'd be sitting on our porches in rocking chairs. Well gosh darn it, it happened, only I'm not so old. LOL. About 20 years ago I was able to contact my friend again after searching for him. He was still in Pensacola, he loved it there and married a gal from there. We both remembered the day we had gone to the bogs and talked about sitting in our rocking chairs, he too had a porch and a chair and often thought of that day. Wonderful memories!

Sal

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My husband was stationed at Saufley in 1966 and I lived on the road going to Saufley at one time. You know what they call Pensacola? The Mother-In-Law of the Navy, so many sailors find their wives here LOL. It sure is a small world!

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz