Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Difference?Tole & Rosemaling

calpat
17 years ago

What is the difference? The only thing I see is that Rosemaling is MORE in the same amount of space. It's quite beautiful, but I'm afraid my eye sight won't allow this much detail. But would appreciate an explanation of the differences! TIA Pat

Comments (2)

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Pat, rosemaling is characterized by strokes shaped like Cs and Ss and stylized flowers, scrolls, and fantasy figures. It was used to decorate household items such as trunks to store the family valuables, and at Christmas the brightest and most beautiful pieces were used to serve food. Tole painting means in french painting on tin. However, it is a structured method type of painting today using the Cs, Ss, comma, and teardrop strokes. Priscilla Hauser is probably the best known Tole painter around. Even Donna Dewberry uses a loosely translated style of tole painting. It has been around for ages and no longer means just painting on tin, it is done on clothing, wood, plastic, glass, etc.

I think Rosemaling,Bauernmalerei, Hindeloopen, Zhostovo Floral painting and American Folk Art are all pretty styles but I am a diehard Decorative Painter which can incorporate any part of the styles above without being catagorized to one particular style.

I wish I could tell you more about the difference but because so many of our "styles" of painting originated in Europe, the differences sometimes are very subtle.

At any rate, it is nice to meet a fellow painter.

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Paintingfool....thanks so much for this information!My sister & I were discussing this yesterday as we have both seen beautiful pieces of art work done in this media. It's not really my cup of tea, per se, as I have a dangerous & insatiable curiosity about "stuff". I'm sending her a hard copy of your explanation as it better explains this media. Thanks again! Pat