Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How would you transfrom these items?

Posted by catkin (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 17, 02 at 15:54

I bought these plastic 60's wall decor pieces at a garage sale. They're those thingies that are painted gold and they're usually candle sconces. Know what I'm talking about? Very tacky looking now! LOL!

Does anyone have any ideas how to paint them to bring them up to date? They have scrolling designs on them thay are kinda cool looking.

Suggestions appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Cindy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How would you transfrom these items?

I'm not sure exactly what they look like, but if you don't like the gold you could try something like Flek-Stone spray to get a stone look. Or you could paint them to look like terra cotta. Have fun.

o

Thanks for replying. I'm going to consider that!

Cindy

o

Hi Cindy,

It seems that the crackled look is really IN,
nowdays. Perhaps you could paint them with crackle
medium and then with a green patina colored paint.
They would look really old and in style!

~Jude~

o

Or, go over to ebay in Home and Garden and do a search for shabby chic wall sconces, or "shabby chic wall" and see what it brings up. SC's very hot right now and I've seen what I think you're talking abt lots of times on there. Mostly painted white, some pt wiped off w/slight bit of gold showing thru, can be crackled, sanded, whatever, to get the shabby part of the lk, often times w/toled roses. Actually pretty cool. I've seen it in frames, sconces, iron work, furniture, tissue box tops, wastebkts, etc. Now, b4 you go over there, have you got all day?? lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here