Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvnaz61

Painting Glass Shower Door

luvnaz61
16 years ago

Hi, I am new here and have some questions about a project I want to do in the near future.

I have a shower door that is glass and I want to paint the outside surface with a very light water color effect lily pads and lilies and fish scene.

I am not familiar with what products will work best. Should I spray the door with a sealant first to give it some tooth to hold the paint? what kind of paint should I use? What should I use on top of the paint to seal it?

Thanks! Mary

Comments (4)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi luvnaz61, Welcome to the forum. I was hoping someone else with experience in painting on glass would jump in here with an answer for you.

I can think of a couple ideas for you. One is to use a stencil and glass etching creme to do a design on your door.

My other idea would be to research the glass paints a bit. There are several brands available with one of the most common being Perm enamel.

You might also be able to use the Gallery glass since it will be on the outside of your shower door--but I'm pretty sure that you would not be able to wipe the door down with that one.

Maybe just go to Michaels and read some labels on the various glass paints and then make your selection. Sure sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Luvs

• luvnaz61
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I went to JoAnn's last night and bought some tracing paper so I can get the design onto the shower door full size and not free hand it. I'm going to take a photo that I have of the design I want to paint to a reprographics shop so they can enlarge it to the size it will be on the door. Then I'll trace it.

I looked at paint and it seems that enamels are the thing to use. I may just buy a glass painting kit that I saw. It has brushes and an assortment of paint colors and hopefully some tips and instructions!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Be sure to take pics and come back and let us see when you get it done, okay? Luvs

• candy1954
    16 years ago

The best paint to use is an acrylic enamel paint as this is durable once cured. If you use a regular acrylic paint, then you must use a clear acrylic sealer. Let us see pix when you've finished. I'm sure it will look great.
    Candy

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living