Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

A Project That Went Wrong?

calpat
17 years ago

When projects go wrong, don't get overwhelmed! Something can be salvalaged. I had thought by spraying that foam insulation on a pot it would help keep plant roots from freezing. The concept is a good one, but I forgot that you need to spray the foam between two forms, like a hollow wall. Poor thing was so icky looking, but scraping it off would have been a waste and a lot of work, so out came the paint can and here is the result. Not good, but not a total waste!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (5)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

That is certainly different looking ha, but glad you were able to salvage the pot. You'll have to let us know how it works for saving your plants. You are right, once that stuff sticks it's pretty much permanent. My brother does the spray insulation for a living and I went over to his house last Sat and he had built himself a snowman with it in his front yard. He is such a goofball. Like there wasn't enough snow around here to build a real one. ha Wish I could have taken a pic of it for ya'll to see. He had carved his down so it didn't have the fun texture yours has. I think it would have looked better with it. ~Anj

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

I think it's kind of neat looking. You watch, Walmart will be selling this concept by next summer!!!

Sal

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Pat, that sure is different, and different is good!!

It has my wheels a turnin'!

Is that a plastic nursery pot or terra cotta?

What kind of foam? We used one kind once to fill in a few cracks and it was an ugly orange! If that was painted in shades of grey, it would look like stone!

Anj, I am sure the spray your brother uses is on a much bigger level than the little spray cans. The snowman sounds so cool! One of my GD's who's family is stationed in TN., is so missing her annual snowman making!! She would love a big ole foam snowman!

Insulation goes between walls, so I wonder if it will be weather proof.

Have a great day all, it is actully 20 degrees this morn...maybe we are going to have a heat wave here in NH!! ;)

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gram, it's an inexpensive plastic pot, the insulation spray came in a regular size spray paint can. I made this over a year ago and it's held up pretty good. We don't get the harsh winters like some of you, but our summers are long and really hot!

• kayjones
    17 years ago

Pat, that is inspiration to me - I LOVE IT! I see a way to cover those ugly black nursery pots and I also see a massive project for me to attempt in the spring - THANKS!