Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wachusettgrad61

One-Stroke Painting

Wachusettgrad61
20 years ago

Is it just me or has that one stroke painting been overdone in the past year or so. It seems to me that all hand painted items are looking more and more garish with so much of it around...

JMHO

WG61

Comments (12)

• Grama
    20 years ago

I have taken a one stroke class in Florida when I was on vacation. I wanted a challenge. It was interesting.
    I just started painting last March with trace and detail acrylic paint. I really enjoy it as I can shade and highlight with double loading. Most relaxing. My favorite is on canvas like paper(I like wall framed work throughout my house).

I have painted one stroke on a kleenex box, and a blue wine bottle. They turned out very nice.

I beleive I am going to like incorporating the two styles in my work. I am presently painting a fireplace screen on wood. LOOKING GOOD!!

Is it over done? Probably, but I'm sure Ms Donna D doesn't mind!

Are you doing it? If not try it. It is a little different, but interesting and fun!
    Grama

• Wachusettgrad61
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Grama,
    No, I haven't tried it. Perhaps I should, as I might learn some new brushstrokes. I do mostly tole painting and canvas painting. I actually put down my brushes when my mother died and have not been motivated very much since that time. But I have recently been dreaming of her and that has prompted me to look around.
    Ebay is full of that "One Stroke" stuff and among the ones that look decent the different artists all look like Dewberry. But there are some really bad ones out there too. wow.
    But what I was referring to was that no matter where you go, Donna Dewberry is everywhere, and it seems that individuality is lost.
    I would love to see your fire screen as I would bet it is lovely.
    WG61

• Grama
    20 years ago

Thanks, I'll be glad to see my firescreen too. When I wrote earlier, it was looking good (to me). However, I can't get one part to suite me; so it will be balanced and I decided to let it be for awhile. That seems to be working. I will finish it soon.

I am on vacation in Florida and am taking classes from a trained, certified teacher. All I really want to do is like you said, learn some new ideas, stokes and perception on what I am doing (or think I am doing). I knit, crochet etc. and not always do I follow the actual pattern...I generally do what I want..painting to me is the same way.

I really do enjoy painting, it so relaxing. I will never be a famous painter but, I am myself at the time.

Happy painting. Let's keep in touch.
    Grama

• calirose
    20 years ago

The so-called one stroke attributed to MsDD has been around for a long time. She is just declaring. double loading or even triple loading is all that is. And acrylic blends better when done that way. Oil on the other hand stays wet longer and can be blended easier with separate paint strokes.

I always laugh when i see her, she says one-stroke; and then proceeds to say as she applies her brush to the canvas, one, two, three and finishes the stroke. So in actuality she starts the stroke 3times.

Have either of you seen any of Priscilla Hauser's or other Dutch/German or rosemailing paintings?

• Grama
    20 years ago

I may have one of her books at my house. However, It's like cooking it helps give a variation of different types of cooking. I like the one stroke for some things but not for all. Yes, I questioned one stroke starting 3 times too.
    Grama

• CindyBelleZ6NJ
    20 years ago

I took one class, but I should have taken a loading/brush stroke class first before going onto a project. I have a Priscilla Hauser book, as well as a One Stroke video. If I ever can get some blocks of time I hope to start practicing. I think it's like everything, you can individualize a bit with your usage, color selection, etc. I would really like to master this, I find the results quite pleasing, and it would be a great way to convert a lot of my junk finds, as well as make some inexpensive gifts that don't look it.

• calirose
    20 years ago

Well, what should I do but make a remark about the "one" stroke and didn't I then see donna on tv? lol
    She says that it is about painting - making one stroke at a time. Like walking a mile begins with one step at a time.

Grama, I hope you didn't think I was criticizing her. I applaud anyone who teaches art !!

I believe we learn the techniques, then apply them to our own style. that is what makes the art world go 'round!

• Grama
    20 years ago

Hi Carlirose, No! No criticisim taken. I too applaud anyone who teaches but I also applaud anyone who TRIES and keeps trying.
    Yes, I also agree that techniques should be applied for each ones own style. That's what makes artists...artists!

New or older painter........ always stand to learn something new!

Thanks, Grama

• Candy_Anne
    19 years ago

I know, I know another one stroker. But, I do love it. I have been doing craft shows for about two years and it still sells well. This is one of my latest projects.
    Thanks,
    Candy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1473085}}

• Wings2W
    19 years ago

Couldn't see it Candy : (

Took a OS class and one in Tole. I think I'm a klutz! Got discouraged and don't practice as I should.

We did a decorative glass piece, sprayed with frost and then painted sunflowers. They're a lot easier but not near as pretty. No picture as it took me a long time to wash that stuff off! I used a glass pitcher.

I do like the glass block idea and have seen some great mailboxes. I'd buy something if it was done well and a bit unusual. Very little is offered around here.

Wing

• Candy_Anne
    19 years ago

Sorry Wing,
    Told ya I was new at this. I still can't figure out the size thing yet either.
    Hope this helps.
    Candy

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Grama
    19 years ago

I went back to Florida again this year and this time I took another painting class. It was an acrylic class using long brushes and a 2 inch brush. We painted scenes and I loved it. I believe I can do better with my small brushes though.
    I also took a drawing class. Wow! did I have a talent. I never drew before (couldn't even draw a stick man) but the teacher show me differently. Talk about a hidden talent-- I just love it. Happy painting!