Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelthepainter

Donna Dewberry's Brushes

michaelthepainter
15 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here and am a young painter who loves decorative painting, etc.

I was just wondering what the difference was between Donna Dewberry's One Stroke brushes and regular brushes - flats/shaders for example.

I've been trying to paint one stroke with other flats and it doesn't seem to be working out...

How are they specially designed for the one stroke technique - it seems like any flat brush would be ok...

Thanks In Advance and I love this forum :) Happy painting!

Michael.

Comments (7)

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

Hi Michael and welcome!

I've done OneStroke with both Dewberry and other flat brushes but then I've been painting for a long time.

If you are new to OneStroke I recommend you start by using Dewberry's brushes. Even though you can use any other good, flat, TAKLON brush to do OneStroke, the Dewberry brushes are made a lot thicker than most flats to hold more paint which is necessary to do OneStroke. OneStroke uses a LOT of paint.

And just a note....I always found that using an ANGLE brush made doing OneStroke much easier and Dewberry now has those in her brush line.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hi Michael, Welcome to the forum, glad you found us. I like the DD brushes for painting One Stroke. Like Kraftymom said, they hold more paint. I learned to paint One Stroke roses with the flat brushes, but then started using the DD angle brushes for them and the angle brush makes it so much easier! I bought my brushes at Michael's with the discount coupon. Hope you will come post pics of your projects here for us to see. Have fun painting. Luvs

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Welcome Michael, glad to have you with us. This is a fun and informative group.

I do not do one stroke but still use some of DD's brushes because they are so full, they blend paints very well and as said above, they hold a lot of paint.

Be sure to sign on to Michaels website - lots of coupons and I found that The Artists Club is also a great place to find specials. I posted their sites below.

Hope you come back often and post some of your project over on the Gallery side.

Belle
    http://www.michaels.com
    http://www.artistsclub.com

• Prncess61
    15 years ago

I am one of Donna's OSCI's and her brushes are made for the begining student so you will be able to do her designs. A good way to get them is somewhere like Michaels or Hobby lobby with a 40% coupon. Buy the set of flats it is the best to start with. After you teach yourself to paint you will be able to do the same thing with many other brushes. Just comes from pratice over and over again. A good cheap way to do that is paint on wax paper you can get a roll at the dollar store.
    Sherry

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hi Sherry, So glad you found our forum and took time to post. Congratulations on becoming an OSCI. Do you teach classes now? Are you selling your work? Hope you come back and share some of your experiences with us here. Luvs

• maryfeustel5
    7 years ago

Does anyone else have trouble with Donna's brushes lasting very long. They are wonderful when they are new but they seem to lose their chisel edge very fast no matter how careful I am cleaning them. Has any one found any products that would help restore them? Thanks, Mary

• cyberdonna
    7 years ago

The Donna Dewberry brushes are best because of the chisel edge and the fact that they are thinner in the middle and have longer bristles so they can hold more paint. It's possible to find similar brushes but I've found that most flat brushes are too thick in the middle and don't have a chisel edge, which is essential for One Stroke painting. There are some that will work. You just have to choose very carefully to make sure they have the same characteristics of the Donna Dewberry brushes.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts