Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spage1_gw

Making your own stencils

spage1
19 years ago

First,I am not a artist. I have never done any stencil work and now want to make my own stencil to go on a ceiling. Could someone guide me in what supplies to buy and helpful hints that would help make this the easiest way possible. I want to do simple scroll work around a chandelier. Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (3)

• sharon_fl
    19 years ago

I just created my own stencil to make 2 oval scroll designs as wall art. I spotted a rubber floor mat at Home Depot & the design matched the duvet design.
    I went to Joannes and bought a yard of clear vinyl & taped it over the design (3' long x 22"wide) then using a magic marker-traced the design & cut it out with an exacto knife. I then used spray adhesive to adhere it to the wall. Worked perfect! Good luck on your project!

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

:) sharon's got it pretty well down...

they sell 'blanks' at the craft stores, but they're not clear, so you have to photocopy the design, fix it to the blank with spray adhesive, and then cut the design out.

if this is your first time- make a few copies of it, and try cutting it out to work the bugs out- part of stencil design is making sure that there are no 'loose' bits (where two stems cross, there must be a 'bridge' to keep the stencil from falling apart)

I will warn you that working upside down is a pain in the keister, and it makes using an adhesive with the stencil important- holding the stencil still while readying the brush just isn't possible!

Elmer's Craft spray glue is perfect for this, since to be permanent, you need to spray both sides, and stick them togeter while wet.

the only other trick is to get a good stencil brush (ie one that doesn't shed bristles) and to work 'dry' (load the tip of the brush, blot most of it off, then apply to ceiling)

• spage1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks yall, Ive enlisted my more artistic talented sister to help me. I think between the 2 of us we may get it done with the suggestions you have given me. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company