Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kilz Paint question?

Posted by Vgkg (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 05 at 10:23

HI Folks,
Hope I'm at the right place for this one. I'm painting the new ceiling I just installed on our front porch roof and have put 2 coats of Kilz (white primer) on it so far. I like the look of Kilz (flat white) which is the color I want to end up with - it's Kilz 2 latex. My question is if it's ok just to use Kilz as the final coat without any other paint? The ceiling is ourdoors of course but not exposed to rain. Thanks for any direction on this, vgkg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kilz Paint question?

well- know that raw primer is a dirt magnet. like nothing you've ever seen in your life. it will catch and trap every particle of smog that passes by, and in a year, will be turning gray.

for a protected exterior, you could use an interior paint but I'd recommend a washable flat.

o
about Kilz Paint

you might also want to check the home decorating forum- the real house-painting mavens hang out there.

o

i used kilz casual colors black satin spray paint to paint a piece of natural wood (microwave cart) then I applied casual colors black gloss. It came out glossy in some area and matte in others. Can I seal this with a Polyurethane clear coat to give it a even finish? Do you have it in a spray?

o

Hi Lori, Sounds like you need to spray on another coat of the black gloss first. You should have gotten even coverage all over with the gloss paint.

I'm a believer in using a primer first then whatever top coat on top of that. Just seals the wood better and makes it ready for the top coat.

Spray paints often require two or three coats for good even coverage. Just make sure each coat has dried really well before applying the next one. You shouldn't need a polyurethane--but, yes, you could apply it. I am pretty sure it comes in a spray, just ask at the store.

Good luck with your project.

Luvs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here