Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting windows

Posted by cathy8091 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 9:52

I am trying to paint a picture of my house. Having trouble with the windows. I have already painted them white, I realize that was not a good idea. Can any one give me an idea how to fix and paint my windows. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting windows

Hi Cathy, can you give us a bit more information? What are you painting on and what type of paints are you using? I'm sure some of the gals on here who do the more realistic painting will be able to offer some advice to help you.

Luvs

o

Cthy,

You don't paint the windows. You only paint the reflection. Water down white or very, very light blue or grey. Depends on your color choices. Study your picture to see where the light source is coming from, then pick up the paint on the brush, blot it until almost dry and lightly streak the windows, once or twice. Do not put identical streaks in all of the windows, because the sun does not hit all of them at the same angle. Depending on your imagined light source you can put a bit, just a tad, of the same in some of the lower corners too.

How to fix the painting you have already done in the windows? Since it is dry by now... I don't know. Can you show us a picture?

Joan

o

Hello Cathy, glad you dropped in, and what a question!

Have you taken a photo of your home? Paint what you see in the photo or walk a short distance from your windows and see what you see through the windows. As Joan said, you paint what is reflected on or behind the glass, not the glass.

Be sure to post a picture for us to see and drop bye often!

Belle

o

The picture is on wood. Thanks for your suggestions. I will try to maybe sand away some of the painted window and add reflections. Some of the windows will be covered with tree. We have mega tress on our property. I will show a pic when finished. Thanks again. All suggestions welcome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here