Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colour_me_violet

Candle Painting

colour_me_violet
17 years ago

I have tried my hand at candle painting. I have some observations and questions if anyone can help feel free to jump in. I read in a book somewhere and unfortunately I have read so many lateley I can't remember which one - that after you clean the surface with alcohol first then you could give one coat of the medium, do your painting then give it a top coat. I did this particular method but noticed the edges of my painting (top and bottom of the candle - bottom mainly) are having a tendency to peel up. I'm not sure if that top coat gets really hard or not as I just did it last evening and it is hard but not like a very hard finish. Has anyone had those same results. I know I read in a post recently that someone has used a varnish as the top coat. Is it a spray in this case? I do beleive that the bottle of medium says to mix one to one with the paint. When using so many paints I don't think that this method is so feasible.

Comments (4)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

First, I don't have any personal experience painting on candles. So why am I posting??? ha Well I was going to paint some at Christmas, but didn't get around to it so I researched it a little. I saw on the hgtv site where Donna Dewberry paints on candles without a medium. She says you don't need it if you use paint only without water. It also says if you use heavily scented candles the paint won't stick because they have more oils? Could that be your problem? Also I've read that you need to let your paint "cure" (whatever that means) before you seal it. Hope someone else has some better advice for you. ~Anj

• colour_me_violet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info Anj. I am using totally unscented candles that I bought at the dollar store. So no I don't believe that would be my problem. I have seen and have read a lot of Donna's things and she does have some different ways of doing things. The paint started to lift while I was painting and before I put the top coat on of the medium. I'm assuming it is a little bit of overhandling.

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Here's your answer - "Enamel Paint" - it sticks better to the candle, also to glass. This is Donna Dewberry's advice in her Painting on Glass book. Depending on what you're painting, you might have to do a second coat of your whole design. Put the paint on somewhat thick. You'll see what I mean when you try it. There is also a "glass medium" that you paint on first, leave overnight to dry, then "acrylic paint" will stick to the candle and/or glass. I found that this "glass medium" though, well, I'm painting the whole jar (glass) or candle with it when I really only want it under my pattern/design, so that's when I switched to Enamel Paints. Donna's suggests for glass painting - either let the piece set for 21 days before using it, or bake it at 350 deg. for 1/2 hour and let the piece cool off in the oven when you shut off the oven. Since the paint is enamel, you shouldn't have to seal it otherwise, either on glass or the candle. Another suggestion for candle painting - I've noticed my finger prints on the candle from holding it with my other hand. I put a single wool glove on that hand to hold the candle and no more finger prints.

Sal

• colour_me_violet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for all the good advice. I am going to try enamels with my next candle project to see how I make out. I had to get enough together because in my area there is not many sources for things that are a little off the beaten path. Most stores only carry the basics around here. One would think that those types of things were the basics but I guess not everyone thinks the same way. Well enough of that.... I have also made another observation regarding the candle medium. I coated two candles with thier first coat but had left them to decide what I would paint on them. A couple of days passed before I went back to them. I found that on handling them to paint the medium became tacky and stuck to my fingers and peeled away from the candle just like bubblegum. I had difficulty painting on them and getting the paint to stay. The top coat wanted to lift the paint off. Perhaps the secret there is to coat them just before painting. I don't find the finish coat to be tacky in any way.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm