Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_fl

Removable painting product?

sharon_fl
16 years ago

I am in the midst of many projects in my grandaughter's room makeover. (She's 5 yrs old.) It's a Cinderella theme and the walls will have the stone block design-here and there. In the plain areas of the walls-will be arched windows. Within each of these windows I'll be painting a scene from the Cinderella story. I want to do this on some type of strippable paper, so that as she grows-the artwork can be romoved. I tried to locate plain white strippable wallpaper but to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (13)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Welcome to the forum Sharon. That sure sounds like a wonderful design for the room. I'm not quite understanding why you would need a strippable paper--couldn't it just be painted over when she outgrows it? Just do a coat of primer then your chosen paint color and it will disappear.

Now if you were wanting to preserve it--you could attach sheets of wallboard or plywood to the walls then paint your design. Those could later be removed and reassembled elsewhere.

Sure would love it if you come back and post pics of your finished project when it's painted. ;o)

Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Did you put in removable wallpaper in your search engine? A bunch came up, but I didn't check to see if they had white.
    This may be another solution for you. Here is a site that suggests using fabric that's put up with starch and easy to remove later on. It's for renters. You may be able to paint on the fabric and then apply it to the wall.
    Please post pics when you are done!! ~Anj

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric wallpaper

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your replys gals. My reason for wanting the strippable plain white (no texture) wallpaper, is because I don't want the scenes to project out from the wall as I'm painting the arches around the scenes. I went to Michael's today & spoke to knowledgable clerk who suggested I use the 16x20 sheets of canvas that come in a tablet form. She said there's a spray adhesive I could use to adhere it to the wall but that isn't what I want. I am going to a wallpaper store to see if I can buy the 'strippable paste' that is used on wallpaper rolls. My reason for wanting to be able to strip these scenes off the wall is so when my kids want to repaint the room down the road in a few years-there won't be a glued on paper mess to deal with. Maybe I should not worry about that-let them, huh? (grin)
    I have done the liquid starch on fabric-in my bathroom-works awesome, but I'm not confident enough(as a rookie artist) to attempt painting on fabric!! Give me a jar of acrylic paint & some extender & I can go until I get it right. tee hee
    Will definitely post pics when I get done. It's going to be awhile-I've got most of the furniture primed & 3 pieces painted-just have to do the trim...then I'll start the murals.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Sharon, it sure sounds like you are creating a wonderful room for your Granddaughter. I know it will be such a fun, magical room for her.

I thought you were wanting a way to remove the painting so it could be reused elsewhere. If you are concerned about them wanting to repaint the room--quit worrying and start painting. A good coat of Kilz or Zinser primer will block it out completely and then they can paint the wall the color of their choice. We did this on my GD's room when they moved to a new house. The primer covered over her mural which included a full scale brown tree, white castle, picket fence, etc. with no show through at all. ;o)

Luvs

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Luvs...Oh trust me-I know all about removal & primers. Back in 2002 when I did my DGS's Farm theme room I had a 7' barn on the main wall, sheep & cows in the meadows, a duck pond, appple tree, etc. The primer worked very well when I used it last summer as I did his makeover into an Hawaiian theme.
    Because I live near Clearwater Beach, FL..and this project is going to be done in my son's home- west of Scranton, PA...I'm trying to get as much of the time staking projects done here-leaving nothing but the ceiling,walls and the accessorizing to do to completion. I try to only be gone for 4 weeks-3 to do a room & 1 week to 'play with my friends' LOL! That's why I want to paint these scenes on something that I can adhere to the wall. Back when I did Robbie's farm theme-either HSN or QVC had a spray adhesive that was strippable, which I used on alot of the animals. Last year when I went to remove it-not exactly 'strippable' but with warm soapy water & a sponge-they came off fairly easy, then sanded those areas. Guess I'll check to see if they still have that product.

• oddie
    16 years ago

how about the wallpaper liner, you use under wallpaper
    to cover damaged wall, should have a smooth surface and can be taken down when you want.
    sounds like a beautiful project you are doing, what a lucky GD!
    oddie

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG!! I didn't know there was such a thing! Wallpaper liner? By Golly-I'm headed to HD or Lowe's this morning to check it out-thanks So, So much, Oddie!! Sounds just like what I'm looking for.

• oddie
    16 years ago

You are so welcome! my lowes doesnt carry it, hope yours does, you might have to order it on line, dont think its used much anymore, was used alot in the 70s and 80s to cover the old paneling walls before wallpapering, maybe do a search, or call before you go.
    oddie

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oddie..
    Went to my Lowe's this morning & got the liner! I have both Lowe's & HD-both within 2 blocks of my home. Price was fine-$9 and change for a Looong roll of it. Asked the clerk about a strippable paste to use on it-she said there is 'no such critter'. Said I might just as well use regular paste & hope for the best down the road when I want to remove it. Anyhoo..now the fun will begin-next week. I've been down with the flu since 8 days ago-hoping I am up and running tomorrow-it's been YUGLY!!! Thanks again for the tip on the liner!

• brendastarr
    16 years ago

this is just food for thought,,,,it seems as if you are going to put all that work into a painted wall your might consider saving it....years ago I stencilled birdhouses on a wall when my grandson was born.....it came out beautiful and as he got older it was too child like for him so we had to paint over it.....I was so sorry I didn't paint it on canvas because I would have saved it and put it in my workroom....I also worked with a woman who painted murals in historial houses.....she painted on large pieces of canvas and installed it with removable adhesive...........again just my opinion.....

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

brendastarr...Thanks for your opinion and you know what? I will probably kick myself into the middle of next week for deciding to just paint it on the liner and adhere it w/regular wallpaper paste but this is not a "pro" job-I am a rookie artist-I can do enough to get by & somehow it looks like what it's supposed to, but by NO means a professional job. Thank goodness my GD is only 5 yrs old!! LOL!

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

You know I just thought of this so will throw it out there. You know how so many people buy the linoleum and primer and paint on the back of it for rugs? Why could a wall be covered with it to paint on then roll up and take with you. Might be less expensive than canvas. Just trying to figure out a way to save all that pretty painting so someone else could use it too. ;o) Luvs

• oddie
    16 years ago

Glad the liner was easy for you to find, now I have another idea, you might think I am crazy, thought my DD was when she told me, but here goes, she used vaseline to put up wallpaper border, looked nice on her walls, said you just have to be carefull and not use very much, she has removed the border since and said you just losen one side and pull and it comes right off, tried doing a search on this but didnt bring up anything on useing it as a paste, if you think you might want to try it maybe you can find more info, but its a thought!
    oddie

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery