Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightlilly

Spray sealers.....

nightlilly
17 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting but I couldn't resist a chance to chat with soo many painters. I live in a small town and I only know one other person who paints...the lady who taught me...lol

Anyway, I was wondering what brand of spray sealers you guys use. My favorite brand so far is Krylon, mostly because it's cheap and Walmart carries it. They have a "Triple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze" that I mainly use for my painted pots and anything I want to have a REALLY glossy finish. I use their "Crystal Clear" for everything else. The reason I'm asking is because sometimes I can't find a single can of it anywhere and I have no idea what else to use. I don't want to spray a project that I have spent days on and mess it up.

Nightlilly

Comments (15)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi Nigtlilly, glad you stopped by to chat with us on the forum. Please feel welcome to join in on any discussions, and we'd love to see pics of your projects too. I like to spray my projects first with Krylon 1311, especially if I have used any ink on them for outlining--it really keeps things from running. Then I use the Krylon clear sealer like you do. I have used other brands, but prefer Krylon if I have the choice. Luvs

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't think I've seen the Krylon 1311 before..like I said I'm in a small town (you can drive from one end of town to the other in about 5 minutes). Wal-mart only orders so much of it (seems like 6 cans tops) and heaven help me if someone else decides to buy any, I won't be able to get anymore until they reorder.

I'll try my hand at posting a few pictures before I head to bed.

Nightlilly

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

The 1311 is a matte spray, I do get it at Walmart here, but probably a much bigger town. You might ask the dept. mgr. if he could order it. If he is ordering the other Krylon, should be easy to order that too. Lots of people use it for scrapbooking and even glass painting. Can't wait to see your pics. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Hey~ I mostly use the Krylon Crystal Clear from the craft section of my Walmart too. They have a different brand over in the paint section of our Walmart that I've used before with good results, but don't remember the name brand. I've also gotten different brands at Lowe's,Home Depot, Michaels and Roberts craft stores. I just make sure they say clear and non-yellowing on them and they've always worked fine for me. I know some people use the brush on kind, but I personally don't like those much. Hope you can find another source. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hey Anj, I've never heard of a Robert's craft store. Is that just a local store? Tell me more. Luvs

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lol...I have a cabinet in the garage where I keep all my spray paint and wouldn't you know it, I have a can of the krylon matte finish. It was at the back, I guess I must have bought it ages ago. Last time Walmart ran out of the Triple Thick, I bought some Krylon Clear Polyurethane, it was ok but not as good as the Triple Thick.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I looked Roberts up and I guess they are just in Utah, Luvs. There used to be a lot of them here, but now I have to drive a little ways to get to the closest one. I like them much better than Michaels. Better selection and prices. Hope they don't go away completely like some of the other good ones that we used to have around here.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

You are lucky to have them, Anj. For craft items, we only have Walmart, Joanne's, and Michael's now. We used to have Ben Franklin, and lots of small shops that carried painting supplies and taught classes. I always loved to go in them because they had so many samples painted up that gave me motivation and inspiration. Used to go over to one on my lunch hour just for the atmosphere--always put me in a good mood just checking out all the possibilities.

Nightlilly, so glad you fournd the matte spray. Just do a light coat of it before you put on your Triple Thick--that should eliminate any "running or smearing' problems for you. I like to spray it on before I paint on glass or metal too--just gives a little "tooth" for the paint to stick to, and is cheaper than all those specialty products. Have fun.

Luvs

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, Thanks for the suggestion, I never thought of using that. I started using spray instead of acrylics a while back to base coat larger pieces like my pots and mailboxes but I have to use the flat spray paint and there aren't a lot of color options in flat. I'll have to see how well that matte spray works on top of gloss spray paint. You may have just opened up a whole new world for me...lol

Nightlilly

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Hi Nightlilly, welcome to the forum. Would love to see your paintings when done, please post pics. The biggest mistake I made with flower pot painting was not sealing/water proofing the pot before I painted on it. When watering the plants, the water seeps through the terra cotta and crackled the acrylic paint. I've since learned to use a flower pot sealant before painting on them.

Sal

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sal,

I don't actually have any of the pots I painted anymore, I've sold them all. I hope they aren't cracking but I'm thinking they should be ok for a year or 2 atleast (hoping!!). I spray them first with spray paint, inside and out, I even get in the little drain hole. When I've finished painting whatever design I do on them, I spray them again with a Triple Thick clear coat, inside and out. The only concern I've really had is if the spray will have any effect on the poor plants...lol

I'll have to remember who has a pot of mine and see how well they're holding up. Crossing my fingers!!

Nightlilly

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Nightlilly, you would still use your regular spray sealer over the matte spray--the matte spray is just to "set" the paint so the thicker sealer won't mess up your painted project. The matte wouldn't hold up outside by itself, it is only moisture resistant--not weatherproof like your other sealer would be. I also find that two or three light coats of spray sealer are better than heavy ones too. I think painting flowerpots is fun, and there are so many options on designs. I've never bought any special products for my painted pots--just the spray sealer inside and out--and they have lasted four years so far. Luvs

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, four years sounds good to me. I haven't had any trouble with spray sealers messing up my projects so far, thankfully. The only time I ever had trouble was with a brush on sealer, once was enough for me. I use pigma pens to do any outlining cuz I hate using liner brushes...lol..and the brush on sealer made it smear. Maybe I didn't let the ink dry long enough. I still have a huge bottle of it that I kept because I paint on glass once in a while but it looks like the matte sealer will take the place of that from now on...lol

Nightlilly

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Welcome Nightlilly, I use permanent pens in a lot of my projects but I found out a long time ago you had to seal the ink or the liquid varnish would make it run. Krylon 1311 has been around for more than 25 years - they did change the formula several years back which put a lot of decorative painters in an uproar - but I heard they were going to change it back if they haven't done so already. I have used the Crystal Clear and it works great too. I have used Triple Thick in the past for items I wanted a nice shine on, but for a softer look I still like Krylon 1311. Can you believe I have never painted a flower pot?? I can't stand the feel of the clay on my hands LOL. The only time I used K-1311 on glass made the glass look frosted - and I liked it so it was a happy mistake for me.

• nightlilly
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Paintingfool, I can understand not liking the feel of the clay. My sister has a problem with sandpaper, she wont touch it...lol

Once I've spray painted the entire pot, there is no exposed clay to touch. I put a can of spray paint (with its cap on) on a $2 lazy susan and then turn the pot upside down on top of the can. That way all I have to do is turn the lazy susan and the spray can under it lifts it up off the lazy susan. No touching the pot at all and when its dry, I turn it over and spray the inside. With spray paint you dont have to deal with trying to base coat the entire thing with a brush.

I painted a couple of pots and my grandmother wanted them, then her friends saw them and they wanted some, then their friends saw them and on it went. My grandmother volunteers at the local hospital, now when I paint any, she takes them in there and sells them for me (isn't she great?!). If I don't paint any for a while, she starts nagging me and reminding me of the next holiday coming up. I got in trouble this winter because I forgot to stock up on the pots before Walmart closed it's gardening section.

Nightlilly

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company