Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

This Must Be My lucky Day!

calpat
17 years ago

I was perusing the Trash To Treasure Forum and someone mentioned Decorative & Tole Painting Forum...WELL,says I, how did I miss this? I love all kinds of painting and used to be rather good at it. These past few years I haven't met one single person my age who is interested in any of things that I love doing. Here I am with a special room, an almost new easel set up, canvases stacked against one wall, boxes of oil and acrylics and brushes up a gump stump, frames from yard sales, everything one needs except that special kick in the butt to get going. Hopefully, I can visit with all you talented people and get going again on things I love doing. Now where do I start? I've got lots of clay pots that I want to brighten up for my patio plants, but not sure what kind of paint would hold up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Please..can I come and play with you all? Pat

Comments (16)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi Pat, You sure can come play with us--we're more than happy to have you join in. Sounds like you have lots of talent (and supplies).

I am what I call a "craft" painter--just do fairly simple things for the fun of it and to brighten my surroundings or to give as a gift. There are others on this forum with much more talent and experience.

This forum has three sections--this one for discussing anything painting related, the gallery where we post most of our pictures of our projects, and the conversations side where we can go to chat about things even if they don't relate to painting. We sort of use it to leave messages and to get to know each other better. Hope you will have time to check out all of the areas, especially the gallery. Please join right in and post pics of any of your creations too, We love pics.

I know nothing about painting on canvas, but I have painted a few flowerpots. The new patio paints would probably hold up the best in outdoor weather. With that said, I just seal the pot inside and out, then paint it with regular acrylics, and then two or three more coats of sealer. They will last longer if you use a plastic insert--but mine have stayed nice for about three years now without using one. The key is to seal the inside of the pot I think. And your design choices are unlimited. Just about any pattern can be reduced to fit, or you might just like doing lines and graphics.

One of the posts on here lists some web sites that offer free painting patterns too, so you might want to check that out.

If you have any questions, we will all try to answer them for you. One of our members, Painting Fool, used to own her own shop, and teaches classes, so she is probably the most qualified to answer questions, but the rest of us will jump in with our advise and experience too.

Again, welcome to the Painting forum. We will look forward to getting to know you.

Luvs

• diarich
    17 years ago

I use regular acrylics and reseal them every spring.
    They are holding up real well.
    Hugs
    Diana

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Hi Calpat, Welcome to the forum. I've painted flower pots and do it for fun also as Luvs does. First ones I painted with acrylics and planted in them though, when watered, the water seeps through the terra cotta and bubbled the paint. Diarich says she didn't have this problem though. So, next ones I did I bought the terra cotta liquid sealer, sponged it on (and recently picked up the spray on kind) and sealed all the pots first, inside and out. Can't give you an update on those though, haven't planted in them yet. When the acrylics didn't hold up, I switched to enamel paints for the pots. You can also check out the "Patio Paints" Michael's sells right next to the terra cotta pots. If you do, please let me (us) know how that works on the pots, I've never used it before.

Sal

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    17 years ago

Welcome Pat, I'm new here too. Can't wait to see your paintings.

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you All! I have a few pictures in my album, but just a few as I have been editing. Try this URL to album.

http://www.picturetrail.com/Mizpat

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Pat~ finally got a sec to peruse your pics. Wow and Wow! Very very nice. Wish I could do something like that, but will have to wait to take classes after my kids are all a little older. Look forward to seeing all that you add to our forum. So glad you are with us.
    I've painted some flower pots, but mine are mostly inside holding pens, pencils, scissors and toothbrushes. ha Looks like you've been given some good advice here by the ones who have actually used theirs as intended (as flower pots). :) Can't wait to see what you come up with for your pots. Later ~Anj

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anj, thank you so much, I can relate to the pots holding pens, pencils,etc.! Although we've been having incredibly nice weather(today 71), it's still a bit chilly for me outside. Got bundled up and finished resealing most of the pots. I even got my garage straightened up, that's a real accomplishment for me. At the moment I'm trying to get all the preliminary yard cleanup done ready for spring planting. Get the feeling sometimes, I'm jumping the gun when it comes to planting. Hopefully this year, when the weather is to hot for me outside, I'll get back to doing some fun crafty stuff along with some oil and/or acrylic paintings. It's been so long since I've really done anything, that it's going to be practice, practice, practice! Oh well se la vi! I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you, your enthusiasm & encouragement are inspirational and boy I really need to be inspired!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Calpat, I take it that you are in Calif.--so am I. I'm in Rancho Cucamonga, east of Los Angeles. Where are you?

You are ahead of me. I finally got shrub roses out front trimmed but still have more of those in the back and side yard to do--and lots of plants that are looking pretty dead from that cold spell we had for three days straight. Sorta waiting to see if they start showing any signs of life before I take the cutters to them. Congrats on getting the garage in order--that's a never ending chore around here--we tend to pile things in there instead of finding a "home" for them! LOL

Glad to have you with us.

Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I would be happy as a bug with 70's...we only get 30's this week.
    ;L( ~Anj

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Pat, you found a great group of sharing and caring folks!

I am a dabbler, crafter, and wanna be art-teest!!

I looked at your pics...awesome!

I posted a "Painted Flowerpots" post a while ago. Went there this morn and really looked around the site. Could not beleive I missed a whole bunch of stuff other than the pots. She has a before and after of an old highchair painted and turned into a planter chair that is georgeous! I think it is under misc. items.

Luv....she also has painted rocks and some of the designs look doable! I know it is not exactly what you were looking for...but they are really neat...and fairly simple. Just couldn't resist this link to her strawberry rocks! They are at the bottom of the page with a link to how-to instructions.

Now...chilly at 71 degrees!! How about 4, yes, four degrees! Think all my rocks are frozen in the ground!

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry Rocks

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Gran, those were very cute rocks. I bookmarked that site so I could go back and look some more. Printed out the pattern for those strawberry rocks--wonder if my home owner's insurance would cover "broken teeth" for anyone who might try to eat one! LOL Guess if you have a stone with a fairly smooth surface, you can paint on it--better wait until they thaw out, right? Ha ha We are getting some rain yesterday and today--mine are all wet right now. Luvs

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I too just bookmarked the Strawberry Rock site, such neat "stuff". I've got to STOP this and get busy organizing and doing! Also found "The Art of Painting Animals On Rocks" by Lin Wellford tucked away in a closet. Another project on the "to do list"! I may have to put some restrictions on myself to be able to get all this done, Now isn't that a crock full!LOL Pat

• anjabee
    17 years ago

No restrictions, Pat...just one project at a time!! :)
    Gram~ thanks for posting that again. Looks like she's added some things since the last time I looked. I painted the two little smiling daisy ones. They were simple to draw out and do. I see 2 of the slate ones that I'm going to have to do for my beds this year. The bunny one and the black welcome garden friends one. We had a tree that the previous owner paved around and since it could get no water it finally fell a few winters ago and left me with a bunch of big pieces of slate to paint on. We are going to make the hole the tree left into a fire pit area. Make lemonade from lemons, right? :) ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

That's right Anj. Take an eyesore and turn it into something useful and good looking. I love painted slates, have one I bought at Home Goods by my front door. Haven't actually painted any myself--how cool that you have some free ones.

Pat, all of us have more ideas, patterns and items than we will get done in our lifetimes--but like Anj said "One project at a time".

Luvs

• calpat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just finished talking with my sister in Darby, Montana & she's recovering from a earth dam break that wiped out her whole yard. Fortunately her home is intact and she's doing just great EXCEPT she says that she has mountains of good size river rock around the area. Now if we could just get some of those rocks down here we could zip thru all those really cool patterns that are available. Went to a business that sells mulch, sand, dirt, rock, etc. and they sell their rock by the pound! Think I'll bypass that rock project till I find a free rock someplace.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Glad no damage was done to your sister's home. Too bad she isn't into painting on rocks, isn't it? She'd have a free supply. Rock by the pound doesn't sound too good to me either. Sounds like something I can just wait and keep an eye out for when we are camping. There's lots of rocks everywhere---except at my house! LOL

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional