Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gram_nh

Lettering source idea!

gram_NH
16 years ago

Maybe some of you have used this idea before, but it was a lightbulb moment for me! At a Christmas craft fair, I bought some unpainted pine lap desks to paint up during the year for my GD's. I wanted to do their initials, but was having a heck of a time with the lettering. One day while looking at some monogrammed tea towels someone gave me, the light went off! I googled 'free online monogram embroidery patterns'! Walla.....Lettering!!The blue in the pic is washed out, but here it is!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)

• Sandi_W
    16 years ago

Gram, That lap desk is really cute and I know your GDs will love them. And you did a great job on the initials. Thanks for the tip on googling the monogram patterns.

• gram_NH
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Sandi. Isabella loved it and I heard the other girls saying...'How come Gram hasn't made me one!'. Little do they know that is what they are each getting for their birthdays. Best part was they were only $5!!

I can't seem to find the site I got these letters off of, but this is another one that I saved. At the bottom it also has holidays, flowers, etc. with some great patterns to print.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patterns

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Gram, your desk turned out really nice! What a great idea. That will be a special treasure for the girls. Loved the site you posted, great alphabets, and I found some cute bunny pics that I could even use as painting patterns. ;o) Luvs

• Sandi_W
    16 years ago

Gram, Thanks for posting that site. I found some really cute patterns already that I would love to paint and I haven't even been through all of them yet.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Great idea and thank you so much for the site! Your lapdesk looks great. No wonder they are all hinting to have one! ha ~Anj

• oddie
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I am sure your gift is sooo loved!
    love that site, thanks for shareing!
    has alot of great patterns, that can be used for alot of crafts.
    oddie

• kraftylady23
    16 years ago

Great idea! I sometimes use Printmaster to use for lettering. Now I have another new idea to try.. Thanks for sharing.
    Donna

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hmmm, what is Printmaster? Is that a computer program?

I really struggle with doing the lettering on a project. Mainly because I don't have good control of when to press and when to lift the brush I think. I do my neatest lettering when I just fill it in with a small brush but that is time consuming. Got any suggestions for me?

Luvs

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Gram, very pretty lap desk and what a neat trick to getting a pattern for lettering. I use the Printmaster program for my newsletter and the graphics are wonderful.
    I have often printed out the letters on the computer, trace them, then paint them on my project. I am going to take a calligraphy class at the Decorative Painting Convention which I think will help me freehand.