Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lady_beejay

Attn: Kraftymom, Re: Birdhouses

lady_beejay
22 years ago

Kraftymom, I certainly can tell you really love the

birdhouse books. I can't wait to start painting them.

One is cuter than the next. I especially like the Christmas

one with the M&M's on the roof. That will be one I sure

want to try. You mentioned that you cut your own. I

would like to know what patterns you used to cut yours?

I bought a couple houses at Joann Fabrics yesterday, but they were

expensive and not really what I was looking for. I can

get my son to cut some for me and I would be able to put

them together. I would appreciate any help you can give

me as to where to get some good easy patterns. Also,

if you don't mind telling m

Comments (2)

• kraftymom
    22 years ago

Lady Beejay, some of the books I have like the one by Faith Rollin's and others have the patterns in them. BUT I also have a lot of patterns from The Winfield Collection. A Saloon, Western Hotel, and other cedar birdhouse patterns. In fact I just ordered a large set of 31 birdhouse patterns from them for $19.95. There is a large variety of buildings in this set including a lighthouse and the tallest structure in this set is 16" tall. They are actually for indoor decor but they can be made to go outside as long as the hole is cut to the proper width for certain birds to use. (That info usually comes with the outdoor pattern itself).

Go to http://www.thewinfieldcollection.com and look under 'Outdoor Projects' for Birdhouses & Feeders. The set I just purchased is listed as DBSET DECOR BIRDHOUSES for $19.95. You'll be able to see pictures of the complete set. They have others there that might interest you too. And you are allowed to sell Winfield patterns at craft shows.

Remember that The Winfield Collection is basically a pattern source so any painting instruction is very limited. But if you enjoy painting birdhouses like I do the patterns can save you a lot of money. I just cut mine from 3/4" pine like you find in the craft stores or cedar. And don't forget that any of those birdhouses in your books can be painted on wood or papier mache birdhouses or birdhouse ornaments. I manage to find a lot of those in Joann's 'bargain aisle' in the back of the store sometimes with slight damage but nothing that can't be repaired easily with some glue and paint and of course a lot cheaper.

Have fun and let me know how you make out.

I would suggest while visiting The Winfield Collection at their site that you request a catalog and get on their mailing list. They have tons of stuff in the catalog that they can't possibly put on-line.

• lady_beejay
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Thanks so much for all your good info. I used to get
    the Winfield catalog, and I might even have an old one
    around. Someone else sent me some sites for paatterns also.
    I am so anxious to get started. I have put a couple bids
    in on Ebay for a couple houses at a good price. I also
    got another of Dorothy Egan's book today in the mail, so
    I plan on getting busy as soon as I get all my Christmas
    things put away and the house back in order. Thanks for
    all you help. JOY