Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

taught the stroke rose today

paintingfool
17 years ago

My chapter had it's first meeting of the year today and we painted afterwards. I taught a pink stroke rose. It was hard for several members to understand that everything takes practice and if you haven't attempted something in a year you probably will not remember how to do it. The stroke rose takes a lot of practice but eventually it will click and you will remember after that. They tried hard and they all did really well by the end of the class. I just love teaching and our chapter members are sweet southern ladies. We have so much fun together. If you can find a chapter in your area I would urge you to check it out. Being around people who share the same passion as you makes it very inspiring and it gives you the opportunity to paint and learn.

PF

Comments (9)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Glad you had a good time. I am sure the ladies appreciated your skill and patience. Always nice to go home with a project all finished. Luvs

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Sounds like you had a great time. Your enthusiasm for painting and sharing, I am sure was a joy for all envolved.

What is the name of your chapter? I don't think we have one in our area but wouldn't even know what or where to ask.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Luvs, Gram, it is a chapter called North West FLorida Sea Oats, a chapter of the National Society of Decorative Painters. You can check if there are any chapters in your area on the www.decorativepainters.org web site. We only have about 25 members, down from about 100 but painting is not as popular as before, I am just waiting for the comeback. If there is one in your area, the NSDP will give you the name of someone to contact. If you can't find anything, leave me a note and I will check for you.
    PF

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

I took a look out of curiousity--closest chapter to me is in Monrovia--not that close. We used to have some local shops that did classes, but I think Michaels is the only one left. I really don't mind learning from videos and books--then I can go at my own pace! With that said, there truly are allot of beautiful projects that I will probably never even attempt to paint--they just look too difficult for me. I really admire those who can paint them though. Luvs

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Luvs, when I first started painting correctly (I painted for a long time before I knew about the paints and what each brush could do) I didn't feel comfortable painting by myself, only in class. It took the shop closing before I actually made myself try on my own. That is the way I really learned, by doing it on my own. I think with enough practice you will find you can paint those projects. I still take classes from our visiting artists, even if I feel I could do the project on my own, you never know what tips and techniques you might pick up from someone else. PF

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing that site. Only one chapter in NH and it is not close enough.

Hopefully, when I can get out more, I will check out some of the 'store' classes. Meanwhile, when time permits, I look at pics that you ladies have done and practice, practice....actually I call it...play, play, play!!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Gram, After seeing your pavers, I would say you are doing just fine. Just keep finding fun projects to make and play away! ;o) Luvs

• sydneydavis
    17 years ago

Hello,

I don't post often here but was wondering if you could explain what this is and give me a step by step directions. I've been painting quite a bit lately. Is this with oil or acrylic? I do acrylic & water painting.
    Thanks a bunch
    Sydney

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sydney, I paint with all mediums but I taught a stroke rose in acrylic. The stroke rose is done by double loading your brush, I use an angle brush, with two colors, one a dark (plum pink) and the other in white. You blend these colors on your palette until there is no distinquishing line between them. Then I start laying in the back petals, several rows, then the center of the rose, then the back lower petals, finishing off with the petals in the center of the rose. I will look in my books today to find pictures showing you what I am talking about. It is a simplified rose and fun to do. I will get back with you later today.

I believe Luvstocraft has pictures of her Donna Dewberry stroke rose posted here, but I am not sure where. There are several very well known artists who paint the stroke rose in various styles. Once you get the hang of it, you make it your own depending on how you see it. I am attaching one of my stroke roses painted some time ago to give you an idea what it looks like. The yellow rose is oil over acrylic, the pink is acrylic {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH