Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerf_gw

Substitute brushes and practice surfaces

summerf
15 years ago

Hi, It's me again. Before I get started on a new project I would like to practice a bit. I have a Donna Dewberry book and now I have to go out and get some of her brushes. If I am not able to buy her brushes what would be a good substitute. Also, what would be a good surface for practicing on.

Have a great day!

Summer

Comments (11)

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hi Summer, Does your new book have pages that show the strokes step by step? Many of her books do have those. I used to slip on of the clear page protector sheets over that page in my book and do practice strokes right on top of it. You can then just wipe it off with a damp paper towel and use it over and over.

Her brushes are good because they hold alot of paint, but you can use your regular flat and angle brushes as well. I don't like to buy allot of specialty items until I know that I can do it and will continue doing it. I used the 40% off coupons that Michael's sometimes puts out to get a set of the brushes. I think my first set was two sizes of flats and a liner. I have to say that I really love using the angle brushes, especially for doing the roses.
    If you have Dollar Tree stores, they have some nice little wood plaques with a wire hanger on them. They are about 4x6 I would guess. Those might be good for some projects. I sure would hate to paint on paper and have it turn out wonderful and then wish I'd done it on a regular surface, so I'd suggest collecting a few items that you can go ahead and paint on. Many of us like to check out the thrift stores for wood or metal pieces we can redo with our painting.
    Good luck to you, and come back and show us how it's going, okay?

Luvs

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

Both Michael's & Joann's has a great selection of brushes. For acrylics you want a good taklon brush that will hold up and spring back to shape when you do your strokes. The brushes in both stores are sorted by type (acrylic, watercolor, oils).

Royal Langnickel & Loew-Cornell make good starter sets found at both stores.

A piece of glass (like from a photo frame) makes a great practice surface. You can practice all you want than wipe it clean.
    Waxed paper makes another good practice surface then all you do is toss it.

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Wow! so many great suggestions. In a pinch, this is what I did. I sprayed a sheet of white paper with my acrylic spray and let it dry. That was about 4 months ago and I am still using it as a practice sheet. The paint wipes off with a wet paper towel.

Belle

• summerf
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Thanks so much for all the information. My husband does woodworking on the side for a hobby so I can get different sizes of wood (pine) usually in his shop. I am going to try all three suggestions for surfaces. When I first started painting classes we were taught to use angle shaders but I would like to try the flat as well.
    We are having a snow storm right now so I will be going out either tomorrow or Friday for supplies.
    Thanks again.
    I will let you know how I do. My problem is I don't have a lot of confidence in myself when it comes to painting so this will be challenge for me.
    However, that being said I do find it very relaxing.
    Sandie

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Sandie, you will do fine. The most important thing is the "desire" to do it. The rest will come with practice. And you know, each of us had to start somewhere. ;o) Luvs

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Sandie,

I hope all of this advise helps you and you gain enough confidence with your painting to overwhelm us, posting pictures of your projects. We will all help you any way we can. Just ask and practice. There are some really great ladies on here and I'm sure you'll get comfy if you stick around.

If you can take a class nearby, do it. I've taught alot of gals that sound like you. They caught right on. I'm not the greatest painter on all my projects but I can draw and paint anything I put my mind to. I'm self taught, because of practice, I've been able to share with others what I've learned. I would love to be able to paint with the pros and maybe someday it'll happen. I use to want to publish a book but not any more. To much work. haha

I enjoy giving and sharing more than anything. I sold my tole painting for years and it was wonderful. I no longer sell anything I paint and I Love It.My only regret is that it took me most of my life to realize what's important in my life and what's not. I'm kinda slow...

Luvs said the right word, desire. If you can see it, you'll achieve it.

Come back and let all of us know what you found on your shopping spree. I'm so happy you have ask for help and joined us here on the painting forum. Punk

• alisande
    15 years ago

You came to the right place for advice, Summer. I share your tenuous confidence and also the feeling of relaxation that painting gives. I'd have a brush in my hand--and be hanging out here myself--if I hadn't had to go back to work. Work is seriously interfering with my creativity! :-)

Anyway, I just wanted to add that AC Moore has a large selection of the Donna Dewberry brushes. Like Michael's, they offer 40-50% coupons in the Sunday paper.

Have fun!

Susan

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Hey Susan! Long time no see! Come visit with us whenever you can!

Summer~ you will only get help and praise here so don't be shy about posting. I am self taught and do it for relaxation as well....just wish I had more time to "relax". ha We'll all be looking forward to getting to know you better and seeing some of your projects! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Susan, so good to "see" you again! You've been missed here! Sorry about the work interferring with your painting time--I used to say that all the time. I'd rush through chores, laundry, grocery shopping, etc. just to be able to squeeze in a little painting time. It's sure not easy. Even if you are not painting, we'd love to have you come by to chat with us anytime. Take care. Luvs

• fourdogfolkart
    15 years ago

You can put a coat of multisurface sealer on anything and that makes a nice surface to practice on...even watercolor paper. I like Loew Cornell brushes...sold at AC Moore or Michaels. Donna Dewberry brushes don't have or keep a nice edge...they aren't made to do that. The Loew Cornell would be a good alternative. You would have more control. Good luck with your project!!!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Welcome to the forum Fourdogfolkart, nice to have some new posters on here. Wondered about your comment on the DD brushes--have you had a bad experience with them? DD uses them herself and sure uses the chisel edge for lots of her strokes. Perhaps you feel that way because the DD brushes have fuller bristles than some other brushes so don't look as thin. I have some and haven't had a problem with them. However, I also have some very inexpensive brushes that work well for me too.

So you have "folkart" in your forum name--any chance that might mean that you will have some project pics to share with us? We love pics of what everyone creates. Please come back and chat with us, we enjoy hearing everyone's ideas and getting to know each other better.

Luvs

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz