Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandi_w_gw

Folk Art Enamel needs thinning

Sandi_W
16 years ago

Here I am in the middle of a project and have a bottle of Folk Art enamel that really needs thinning and I don't have any Folk Art Thinner and live no where near a store that sells it. I just read online to not use water as a thinner. That seems strange since it's a water base paint. I'm painting on a window that will hang inside. Has anyone used anything besides the F A thinner with good results? Thanks.

Comments (13)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Sandi, I've never used the enamels. Wonder if you could go to the Plaid website and contact them for an answer? Luvs

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I saw on their website to use their brand thinner & not water, but I didn't check any further. I thought someone on here might know. I'll google again and see if I can find more.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I tried to find what was in the Folk Art enamel thinner hoping I had it here, but couldn't. I did find that you aren't supposed to add water (at least when painting on glass) because it makes the paint less durable.

• kraftylady23
    16 years ago

I use enamel paints all the time. You can add Folk Art Clear Medium to thin down your paint. It is with the Enamel paints and also comes in a white bottle just like wicker white. The reason you don't use water is that it breaks down the properities and the paint would then wash off the the glass it was painted on. There really is not a thinner except the clear medium and it does work well.
    Donna H.

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donna, Thank you. I finally got to a craft store yesterday and bought the clear medium. They had an extender for enamel paints also, but I didn't buy that. Do you ever use the extender on glass?

• kraftylady23
    16 years ago

Sandi,
    No I do not use the extender and rarely use the medium. Just wondering do you use the Enamel paint brushes? They really do work well and lets the paint glide on better and without the brush strokes. They give a nice smooth finish. I use the medium when I want to glue something such as glitter to a glass ornament. Paint your ornament or glass and then let dry and then paint on clear medium and then sprinkle glitter lightly Good luck and Happy Painting. Let me know if you have any additional questions.
    Donna
    Donna

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donna, No, I haven't used enamel paint brushes. I've been using oil paint brushes. If you think the enamel brushes are better I will buy some of those. May I ask what brand/type you would recommend?

I've found the Folk Art enamel to be so thick that I haven't been able to paint a really smooth surface. And thank you for the tip to use the clear medium to apply glitter. That will certainly come in handy.

• kraftylady23
    16 years ago

I am a One Stoke instructor so I use the Folk Art One Stroke enamel brushes. If you are using oil paint brushes that is probabley why you are having problems with the thickness of the paint. These brushes are ususally in the craft section at Michaels Hobby Lobby Joann, etc. They have a light green handles. I was recently exposed to PeBo paints have you ever tried them? They are from France and I also like them for a different look and they are a transparent type of paint. I will try and post some of my work on here soon as soon as I figure out how. I just found out about this site yesterday. You can see some of my work here:
    http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=kraftylady23
    Good luck with your paintings.
    Donna

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Donna, Nice to have you posting here, Welcome. Thanks for sharing your albums, you have certainly done allot of painting. Enjoyed seeing all your projects, your craft show setups, and your wonderful studio that your DH fixed for you.

Glad you were able to give Sandi some advice on the enamel paints too, hope her project goes well.

Hope you will come back often to chat with us. Oh, I should probably mention that there are three sections on this forum, this one, the gallery (so the pictures stay on longer) and conversations where we can go for non-painting related chats. Hope you will join in on all three.

Luvs

• diarich
    16 years ago

Love your work Donna...Thanks for sharing!
    Diana

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donna, Thank you again for your help. I'm going next weekend to buy a couple of enamel brushes. Hopefully they will help me do a smoother painting finish. I've never tried the PeBo, but if I ever get the glass painting down with the enamels I would like to invest in the PeBo. How do you find painting with it as compared to the Folk Art? Do you use the Folk Art enamel brushes with the PeBo also?
    Your craft closet and studio are wonderful. And I especially love the "carpets" you painted in the closet and classroom. I enjoyed seeing some of your beautiful work. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Sure glad you found this forum. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more.

• kraftylady23
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the warm welcome and compliments. I don't know how to explain the PeBo paints, but if I want a bright and transparent look then I use the PeBo paints and I do paint with my enamel paint brushes. Just alittle about me. I paint every day and I teach painting 3 days a week. I also started a afterschool childrens art program and am very proud of it. I teach my home studio, some priviate students, 3 assisted living facilities, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns. So I keep very busy just painting. However I love it. Would you believe just one year ago I was working a full time job as a surgical nurse. I had to retire to take care of my father. I use the word retire lightly as you can see above. Well enough about me. Thanks again for you warm welcome.
    Donna

• Sandi_W
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donna, Well, I can see you are having a very busy retirement! How wonderful that you get to paint so much AND get paid to do it. I know you're not in my area of the country as we don't have Hobby Lobby here. I really need to take some classes as it's been years since I took my one oil painting class which I loved. I should check into that soon.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!