Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting dried gourds

Posted by Ruby_Red (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 02 at 16:34

I posted this on the garden forum but thought I'd try here also. I've been drying some gourds to use for decorating. Is there any special way to prepare these gourds, after they've completely dried, for painting? Some have become moldy and some haven't. Do I have to remove the mold, is it removable, what do I use to clean them? All sorts of questions, but I've got plenty of time before they're ready to paint. Thanks,
Helen :o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting dried gourds

I just soak the gourds in warm water and dish soap to loosen the mold. If it's hard to get off after soaking, I use a steel wool pad. Let them dry and they are ready to paint. I use acrylic paints on mine and seal them if they are going to be outside. Good luck.

o

Yep, what Frances said. You can wipe them down with a bleach solution after washing and scrubbing but I never felt the need to. Just make sure you let them dry thoroughly before you paint.

It's kind of satisfying to see how pretty they are under that gunk!

o

I wash mine, let them dry, and then sand them with a sander called a sand-o-flex (made by Merit). It has little "fingers" of sandpaper on a wheel that turns. It's not the sanding wheel that just has flaps of sandpaper, these flaps are divided into little strips and is softer. Works great on wood, and gourds, and I have used it on metal to take off the rust. However, it is getting harder and harder to find the refills!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here