Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with hand painted pillow

Posted by glen103 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 16:11

Wow...here goes...I've got lots of questions! I want to make a pillow with a map of Key West...I saw one for $120, but cant afford that. I have some experience in painting and sewing...not a lot but enough to get me started. What is the best fabric to paint on? What is the easiest to paint on is probably the best question! I know to pre-wash but how do you seal...by ironing...how? And any other help would be really appreciated! Oh, and ideas for stencils...cheap? I don't want much do I? Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with hand painted pillow

Hi Glen103! I've never painted on fabric before besides canvas material. I went back thru the archives in our Gallery and here is one that luvstocraft did a few years ago. If you look down thru the posts she explains that she used regular acrylic paint with a fabric painting medium mixed in. You may be able to find something like that at a craft store like Michael's. Hope this helps. Luvs still visits here and may be able to give you some pointers but not sure how often she comes by. Or maybe some of our other painters have had some experience with it. Good luck and please come by and share pictures when you are done! ~Anj

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted pillow

o

I forgot to say that maybe with the fabric medium you don't have to seal it?? ~Anj

o

Glen, we were in KW at Thanksgiving, and I've seen those pillows. Very complex. Are you going to start with tracing from a map of the keys, or just Key West?

I would get heavy duty muslin because it is inexpensive, and you can try different techniques as practice. IF you are not doing any embroidery, I would find a heavy fabric like sailcloth for the final.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here