Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcfilley

Never fauxed painted--which one should I try?

kcfilley
22 years ago

Hi,

I posted this at the Decorating Forum so I apologize if you read it there also.

I need help deciding which faux paint would be good and the colors. Thank you guys for your help. I've never faux painted but I think I can.

I painted three major colors in this new house. The kitchen, breakfast and family room are terracotta. The entry, mudroom, den (library type room) dining room and laundry are olive green. The master and master bath are a tan.

I want the house to end up with a Western, slightly rustic feel.

While I love terracotta, with the rusty brown floor, the overall feel is just a bit too orange for me. I'm thinking maybe I should do some faux painting with the "Woolie (Home Depot) look. I can't decide what colors to mix. If you don't mind going to my link below, I would love your input.

I also included a sample of my granite--the actual piece is nicer than this photo. It's more of a true coffee with cream/tobacco look.

Another problem I have is that I used bullnosed sheetrock so it's very difficult to start and stop different colors.

In the photos the green looks more green than the true olive green it is.

Thanks for your ideas. I appreciate them.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Interior Colors

Comments (7)

• pennymacdonald
    22 years ago

You wanted my thoughts on your home well here they are...OMG, when can I move in with you? LOL What a beautiful home you have! Geesh, if I had to do anything and I don't think that you really need anything, I guess I would maybe tone down the kitchen by adding a lite touch of a wash to the walls. Boy, your home is beautiful. This would just give it more demention. I love the colours you have picked. They compliment each other so well. I have added a site that you could check out some ideas. I don't know if you know her or not but I refer to her books all the time. Go to www.debbietravis.com. Then go to Room or Technique. You can get a lot of ideas here. And she shows you how to apply them to your home. Hope this helps a bit.
    Please let us know what you have done and keep us up to date on the pictures. I love the kitchen windows. Looks like a ranch type judging by the fence I see out the window. Just BEAUTIFUL...where is this lovely home of yours? Just being nosey! LOL
    Good Luck...not that you will need it. :0)
    Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: faux painting

• kcfilley
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Penny,

Thank you for all your kind comments. This house has been overwhelming to complete. I'm 35 miles from the metro area and I was the general contractor. It's a concrete house with foam and steel. It's way too big so come on over! You can help me vacumn!!! I'm in MO.

The railing you see through the window is on the deck.

Here are shots of the exterior if I have the link right.

I'm going to try to figure out how to do a color wash. From what I've seen, that is my favorite faux look--especially for such a large space. However, the samples I tried last night just look milky.

Can the color be thinned with water instead of the glaze?

Thanks again.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior

• pennymacdonald
    22 years ago

Absolutely magnificent! The potential is incredable! Boy, more now than ever I want in! LOL... I am a advid gardener. No pro by any means, but I love it. Can I ever see plants, flowers trees and who needs to put in a pond when you alread have the "Pond elite" Thanks for the huge smile. Now, onto your painting....boy, can I go on! LOL
    When I did my living room by ragging it, I didn't use glaze. It turned out wonderful. I'll try to take a picture and show you. Anyway, the problem with not using glaze is it dries really fast. If you don't want to use glaze and do it my way, do a small area at a time Orrrrrr....have a few friends over and have a painting party. Did this at a friends house and you'll be so surprised at how fast things go and how much fun and laughing will go on. A little food, a little wine (very little wine, you want a beautiful wall) and a lot of good friends make for the best of times. Wish I could come and join in...I'll bring the hoursdouvres!(sp)
    Give everyone a rag or brush and wha-la instant wonderful!Penny

• Lynne Reno
    17 years ago

This was my first attempt at Faux finish, I found it easy and fun. Base was Benjamin Moore copper mountain, sponged with BM Terra Mauve (6 parts glaze to one part paint) The rest of the room is BM Shaker Beige with Navajo white trim.

Here is a link that might be useful: First attempt at faux finish

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Sorry, have no input, but think your homes look wonderful. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi Lynneblack, Looks very nice, I think you did a great job. I've not really done much faux painting--I did try some sponge painting in a guest bedroom at another house, but was never to crazy about how it looked. I think the glaze probably makes it look better. What tool did you use--paintbrush, rags, sponge? You must have been checking out all the old posts on here--this one was orignally from 2002! Nice they have stayed on so long. Hope you'll keep joining in here. Luvs

• Lynne Reno
    17 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. I played around with some practice boards and found that mixing the glaze 6 pts to paint one part gave me the subtle effect I wanted and took long enough to dry that it was very forgiving of errors (i.e. just wipe it off and go again). I used a 4" sea sponge dipped it in the glaze/paint mixture and squeezed it till it was almost dry. It was really easy and my husband who is a (OMG what was wrong with the white walls?) kind of guy loves it and keeps raving about it...He is particularly happy that I put his collection of old samurai swords on the foyer wall and it really shows them off.