Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calirose_gw

Paper towels, rags, or what?

calirose
13 years ago

I wipe my brushes to remove excess paint before cleaning them. What do you use for wiping paint from brushes? I feel like paper towels are such a waste.

Comments (7)

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

I agree but I use heavy paper towels to wipe my brushes while painting. I use rags for dusting, washing windows, painting and other tasks. Will be interesting to hear what others use.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I always keep a folded paper towel tucked under my rinse bucket and keep flipping it over until there are no clean sides left. I just wipe my brushes on this and don't feel it's a waste at all. Luvs

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Calirose....I also use paper towels while I am painting, both to wipe off excess paint and to blot excess water from my brush's while painting. But I do not us only one water bucket to clean my brushes. I actually use 1 food storage container which is about 4" square and quite shallow for washing my brushes and then a jelly jar to rinse the brush. The third is my clean water jar for when I am floating or just need clean water to water down the paint. Using three jar lessens the use of the paper towels.

The only problem with this method is "Moo" kitty likes to drink from the clean water glass, so I have to refill it often.

Belle

• calirose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL I am sure if my water buckets were large enough and low enough either of my dogs would try to drink from it also.

I am trying something which seems to be doing well. I tore older newspapers into about 4" squares. I am wiping my brushes on the top layer, paint seems to be staying on top and what little moisture seeps,but dries.

I also blot excess water on that. When I use paper towels they are cleaner now so I am letting them dry and reuse them.

I just started the newspaper yesterday, so far so good. I will see how it goes and report back.

I have a water bucket that is divided into 3 parts. One part has slats for wiping the brush, the other 2 are wells that I use for rinsing. I use a spray bottle to dampen paints or palette for floating or thinning.

thanks for the replies.
    cali

• calirose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just wanted to update that the newspapers are working great. I use the classified section as there is less color and pictures. I tore them into about 4" squares. I have even spritzed my brush while on newspaper to help rinse it. The amount of paper towels used has been reduced considerably. Since the brush is now clean when I use a paper towel, I let the towel dry and reuse it.

cali

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Cali...sounds like you have a winner!

Belle

• paintingfool
    13 years ago

Cali, that newspaper trick sounds like a really good idea. I love the blue shop towels and always get them from the grand children at Christmas. I use them when taking classes or going to meetings. I also keep my old towels (not the velour type) and I have one in my lap. I use it to blot my brush a lot of times when I am painting, then I just through it in the wash. I hate using a lot of paper products and absolutely hate - hate - hate - strofoam products. So I try to conserve when possible.

I am going to try the newspaper idea this weekend.
    B