Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardentoad

Painting tiles question

Gardentoad
22 years ago

I bought permanent paint to paint new tiles to put on the wall in my bathroom. I couldn't find the bake on paint so I have Air-dry Perm Enamel by Delta CeramDecor.

I want to know if the paint will come off when we grout it.

Does anyone have any experiance with this? I am posting this on another forum too in hopes for a quick answer.

Comments (6)

• Wanderer
    22 years ago

Gardentoad, i lurk a bit in this forum and noticed you didn't have any answers yet ... my first thought was that the paint would scrape off when you clean the grout off ... could you paint it AFTER you grout?
    in any case - i tend to think (even tho i haven't used that paint) ... it would probably adhere better if you let it age for a week or so before grouting. just my 2 cents worth - maybe someone else will have tried it and can give you a definitive answer :)

• Gardentoad
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Thanks Wanderer.
    The instructions said to wait 10 days before washing, so I planned on that. I guess I will just wait to do it on the wall. I was worried about the sealer getting on the grout and yellowing with age. I will try to tape it off.I am painting ferns and waterlilies that will span across several tiles on the wall behind the sinks.

• delta
    22 years ago

Is this a big tile job your doing ,because here is just a thought .how about covering each tile with the clear mactac ,you usually buy where there is shelf liners material ,
    delta

• Kelli
    22 years ago

I agree with the above post, paint the tiles after. I have used Pebeo paints to do tiles. It is a ceramic type paint that you back in your own oven, it sticks to the tiles like nothing else I have used.

• lulie___wayne
    21 years ago

Where can I find Pebeo paints? I would like to start trying my hand at painting some tiles. My son owns a flooring store where he sells and installs many different types of flooring and counter tops etc. He has marbles, granite, etc. I know that some people may be interested in wall murals or just a few painted tiles within a backsplash.
    Do you think that the Pebeo paints would be good enough to use for sale items as a lasting quality product?

• craftyt
    17 years ago

Hi,
    my question is this are there any types of painting techniques that can be done on ceramic tiles on walls. My kitchen has parts of the wall in tiles and I cant afford to replace them right now. thank you for any ideas. erica