Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faux Tile Painting on backsplash???

Posted by MaryAnn_AL (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 04 at 13:24

Anyone had any experience painting a faux "tile look" on a wall? I would like to paint the backsplash to look like rough slate tile. I'm also undecided on colors. My other walls will be pale yellow, countertop is cream and kitchen cabinets are med. oak. Any ideas? I plan on using plaid valances in windows with a warm red, yellow and green.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faux Tile Painting on backsplash???

It's very, very easy. Get some very thin masking tape (it comes in all sorts of teeny-tiny sizes at a good art supply store) and tape off all your grout lines first. The basecoat color UNDER your masking tape will be the grout color, so if you want that to be different than wahatever it is now, paint and let the paint cure before doing the rest. Then tape it off, and paint or sponge away. If you are a complete novice, then the easiest of many ways to make the tiles themselves is probably sponging. One way is to have a few paint trays (say, three or four) with a different color in each. Then start sponging and experimenting till you get the look you want. Pell of the masking and it's beautiful! After it cures, you can varnish or seal it so it's very scrubbable! I have done lots of backsplashes-- they are wonderful and easy! Colorwise, you can find a sample of slate and pull colors from the other things in your room and subtly work them in! Slate has a ton of variety and is extremely forgiving to paint!

o

Thanks for responding skatiero. We're still peeling the wallpaper off. I have picked out some colors although I'm afraid they may be too dark. But it's just paint, right! Would you buy the flat latex or egg shell paint or use acrylics.If you varnish it afterwards, does it matter if you use flat latex.

o

MaryAnn,
I might sometime get time to do something with my backsplash- can you tell me how to peel the wallpaper off?

o

Don't buy expensive wallpaper remover. Hot water works just as well. get a Tiger's claw ( a hand held thing that scores your paper so water can get under it, score, and then soak with hot water. give it time to penetrate then start pulling. Use a sponge. Kinda messy but works great.

o

Here's a "tile mural" I did behind my stove. I used a store-bought poster and tore it into 4" squares using a ruler so the edges were a little rough. The second picture is my counter, faux painted to look like stone. Should give you some ideas. Both surfaces are several years old, have polyurethane over them and are holding up very well.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o

Hi there, is the paint you use to paint the faux tile just acrylic paint like you would use on canvas?? Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here