Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

I have an idea!

luvstocraft
17 years ago

Okay, here I go again wanting to make something "different". I bought a used Mary Engelbreit book while I was still working at the shop. The title is Decorating Ideas, Projects to make for Indoors and Out.

One of her ideas was to paint rocks to look like flowers and arrange them in your flower beds or along the pathway. She uses very vibrant colors in her designs.

I have a side yard that just has a wood mulch walkway, so thought that would be a cute thing to put over there.

While camping in the desert, I took along a bag each time I walked the dog, and collected some rocks that I thought might work. Would have liked lots of nice round ones with a flat top, but I will see what I can do with the ones I found.

My plants look so bad now after the freeze, and I'm getting ready to cut the roses back--so I am going to need some color in my yard until everything starts greening up again.

Do I have you curious yet? Or maybe you are just thinking "boy, is she ever crazy". LOL

You know I'll share pics when I get them painted and arranged. Luvs

Comments (17)

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    17 years ago

What a coincidence -- I just ordered from Amazon the book "Painting on Rocks". I won't be able to do anything until spring, though. Looking forward to seeing yours.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gracie, Yours will be much more detailed than what I am doing. They do some amazing things with rocks--make them look like houses, animals, flowers, etc.

I have actually done some stenciling on rocks that I really enjoyed.

The ones I plan now are very simple--Just a roundish rock for the middle of the flower, then longer rocks around it to look like flower petals. It's a "just for the fun of it" project.

Hope you get lots of great ideas from your book.

Lus

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Luvs~ I checked that book out at the library once. It has some fun stuff in it. I've painted on rocks, but mine were Japanese symbols for love, happiness, etc and I also did some with petryglyphs on them and one with a beehive on it that's a paperweight. The ones that were outside wore off after a few years even though I sealed them really good. I need to re-paint some for this spring. The flowers sound cool. Can't wait to see what yours look like. About how big were the rocks you collected? ~Anj

• diarich
    17 years ago

I have that book and haven't done anything with it yet. Can't wait to see yours.
    Hugs
    Diana

• craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

Sounds like a great idea Luvs. I'm going to be painting three BB's to look like ladybugs. Saw that in a mag on line and thought it was so darlin' looking.

Sal

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yahoo! There are people on here talking to me! Good morning all.

Anj, I think my rocks are bigger than the ones in the book. I just picked up any that I liked the shape of. Could have probably bought those smooth river rocks in the bag at the store,but I wanted bigger ones so they really show up. If I'm going to do it, I might as well make a statement, right? Ha ha And it gave me something to look for while walking the dog out there too. Hope to work on them this week. Your painted rocks sound great. The ones I stenciled on are still holding up so far. Nice thing is that they are a free surface to paint on, right?

Diana, I saw the book at the little shop where I worked--the dealer had it priced at $14.00. On Market night, I was chatting with her and said something about liking it and might just have to buy it--so she told me I could take 50% off. I was thrilled. I've painted some flower pots using ME designs for my neighbor--she is a big fan and passes her magazine on to me when she finishes with it. Her use of color is usually pretty bright--more so than what I usually use--but for this shady side of the house, I think it will add a nice pop of color and just be fun.

I've seen those ladybug BB's, Sal. They are so cute, especially the pic that you shared. I can't wait to see your's all painted up and in your yard. Will look so cute. After having glued half marbles all over one BB-I think I would prefer to just paint them. I have two plain ones setting out in my yard that I haven't done a thing to yet. One is green, one is blue. Sort of pretty just as they are.

How are all of you doing? All snowed in? Too cold to think about Spring projects? Seems like I always hit a slump after Christmas is over. Gotta snap out of it--times awastin! LOL Great to hear from all of you.

Luvs

• diarich
    17 years ago

It's 15* here right now. My poor furnace isn't staying off very long. It snowed before the temps dropped so I'll probably have my grandaughter today. I'm sure school will be canceled.
    I'm starting another cold. This has been a miserable winter for me. I bearly get over one cold and start into another. I'm drinking OJ and vitamin C's
    It's just not my year LOL
    Hugs
    Diana

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Diana, that sure doesn't sound good. So miserable when you are having to cough and blow your nose all the time. Worse thing is it sort of cycles through the family and comes back to you!

Your temps and snow make me ashamed of myself for complaining about mine!

Enjoy the grandkids, and keep doctoring up so you will soon be ready for a nice Spring painting project. Take care.

Luvs

• sweets98
    17 years ago

It's a good idea! I have painted on rocks just to have them around the garden for decorations and they turn out really nice (just be sure to seal the WHOLE thing so moisture doesn't get through and ruin your work!).

My step sis (14) has two painting on rock books and she does some awesome work. She has one with flowers and plants and another with animals. I wish I could do what she does but we just have different painting talents! LOL

• gram_NH
    17 years ago

Luvs, that sounds like a great idea, and I have just the perfect little narrow space that I can do this. Oblong rocks for the petals will be a chalange for me to find..but maybe down near the lake.

It would be cute to have a ladybug positioned right near one of the flowers. While googling ladybug rocks, I came across this to be published book. Thought you might all enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting for the Garden

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gran, that book is just too cute! I love that caterpiller edging--that's something I could see myself doing--I'd love to surprise guests with a sight like that. That artist has quite an imagination. Loved the alligator, turtle, and did you see those elephants on the edging? Too cute. Book is a little pricey--have to watch for it at Michaels and use a 40% off coupon maybe. That was fun, thanks for sharing it.

I dumped my rocks out and washed them good. I am a little disappointed--not as big as I thought they were (rocks are so heavy) and not as smooth as the ones in the book either. I really liked this idea, but I wanted them to be big enough to really show up. Hate the idea of paying for rocks--but might have to see if I can find some river rocks at Lowes and see how much they are. The flowers would look so much better if the rocks are smooth--especially the one ME does with the two stacked round ones--I don't have any rocks that look like those. Guess I will just paint a couple of flowers with the rocks I have--then try to find bigger and smoother ones to do some more later. ;o( Luvs

• calpat
    17 years ago

Message to all you rock painting gals: In the event you need display space, I have a big back yard that would be lovely with all your art work displayed!LOL And Luvs, I found that some of our rock, sand, mulch, etc. businesses can be very generous sometimes if you want to buy just a few rocks. It might be worthwhile checking out as they would have a huge selection.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Calpat, That's an interesting idea. We do have a rock quarry nearby but I don't think they sell to the public. There are a couple of landscaping places too if I remember right--I'll have to drive by there and check on it. Thanks for the suggestion--uhh, the one about the rock place NOT the the one about the display space! LOL No harm in trying right? ;o) Luvs

• girlsingardens
    17 years ago

I painted some round flat rocks to look like ladybugs and spread them around at our old house. Now I need to do some here at our new house. I know that the girls would love to find them hidden in the gardens.

Stacie

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Girls, That's a cute idea. When you paint more, please post a pic for us. Do you remember how big the rocks were? Dollar Tree has a bag of some small river rocks that are pretty smooth. Luvs

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

Luvs, this year at the National Society of Decorative Painters Convention in Nashville, Ken Brown - the famous calligrapher - took those small rocks and engraved our names on them with a Dremel or dentist tool. Some of the things he engraved on were the glass pebbles you see in the dollar store. He only charged a dollar and they were actually very pretty.

I haven't painted on rocks yet but my husband would bring home some white ones every time he would golf. Don't know where he found them since we don't have rocks here in the south. So, I think my little grandchildren will love painting something on them this weekend. They love their art projects when they come over to visit.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

PF, How cool to have a rock engraved by Ken Brown.

I'm so glad your grands enjoy painting and crafts. Such a great thing for them to learn--and can be used for a lifetime.

I am disappointed in my desert rocks. They looked bigger out there. Guess I'll paint a couple of small "flowers" from them and maybe collect some bigger smoother ones perhaps on another trip. Oh well, it was just a "whim" anyway--no big deal.

Luvs

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations