Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting a cedar chest

Posted by pegTN (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 02 at 9:59

Help!! My mother gave me a cedar chest from the 1950's. It had a white "finish" of some kind on it that was all scratched up. I tried to strip the chest, but it didn't work. So then I decided to paint it. Now I can't think of a thing that I want to paint on this chest. The front of the chest has "faux" drawers and is curved. If anyone has any ideas of what to paint on a cedar, blanket chest, I would appreciate it.
Thanks PegTN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting a cedar chest

I do alot of furniture, especially antiques that are just not up to stripping etc. My thing is to finish them as to maintain the integrity of the age, distressing alot so they still look antique, very popular now. YOu can get ideas in any country magazine. With some garage sale furniture, the real ugly stuff, its fun to paint and then add decorative tole, like an old chair with base paint, then distressing, then adding an old clay pot and a watering can, or a vine design, etc. If you would like to see some stuff, I can email a pic or two. My digital is really cheap but you can get the idea. Also if I could see a picture of the chest I may be able to give you an idea, I have done alot of that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here