Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer123_gw

Rock Painting

Jennifer123
22 years ago

Does anyone do painting on rocks? Like animals? I did one once that was an oval shaped rock and I painted it to look like a curled up sleeping cat. I was just curious of where I could see some pictures or get some ideas? Thanks for any help.

~Jennifer

Comments (6)

• Tammieruth
    22 years ago

I have done this in the past as a way of entertaining bored children. I have never seen a book on this subject, but I do have some suggestions. First, you have to let the rock dictate what it should be. Pick it up and say to yourself, "What does this remind me of?" The last time I painted a rock it came out looking exactly like a finger complete with knuckles and nail. I used to leave it out on the end table in the livingroom as a funky decoration/conversation piece. When you paint use eye-catching bright colors. I favor acrylic paints, and I always spray them with a clear acrylic non-yellowing finish coat to protect all my hard work. I have also glued wiggle eyes on to some of my creatures.

• Mary_Sue
    22 years ago

I found two books on the Artist Club web site about painting on rocks. Both are by Lin Wellford. I got my new Decorative Artist magazine yesterday and others were advertised in there. Keep Painting, Mary Sue

• wandaredhead
    22 years ago

Do a search on google.com for painted rocks. There are several sites where people have painted rocks.

• TwinOaksFarm
    22 years ago

Country Home & Garden Book Club has several different books on rock painting. Some on animals and some on flowers that I remember. They may have more.
    Connie

• Jennifer123
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone! Greatly appreciated.

~Jennifer

• terracotta
    22 years ago

Just got my monthly offer from Decorative Artist's Book Club and there are 5 books and 1 video on the subject all by Lin Wellford. Just seeing the ads gives you plenty ideas. I do have one of her books and she is especially good in painting animals.