Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lillyjane_gw

some old crafts ')

lillyjane
14 years ago

Here is a couple of things that I used to take to the craft shows, I have posted a few pics int eh past but I am soooo slow at it. Here goes ------

The brick wall & the ivy in the background I painted about 14 years ago in my kitchen ")

Lilly

Comments (8)

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Lilly,

You are very talented and everything looks great. Your stocking sign is adorable. I really like the mail box and what a cute bunny. However the brick wall is my favorite and please tell us how you painted it. I may want to do this in my kitchen in my spare time. TFS

Punk

• twinklenose
    14 years ago

I love the snowman and ivy.:)

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Lilly, I would have wanted to be one of your customers for sure! I've always been into bunnies--big time! Your bricks are wonderful and look very realistic. Cute signs too, I've always enjoyed signs. I can't even imagine getting ready for a craft show, if I do three of one thing at a time that's about my max! Just think how much you can enjoy painting now when you are just making something for yourself or to use for a gift! ;o) Thanks for sharing with us. Luvs

• lillyjane
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Luvs ")
    Hi Punk, the bricks are very easy, they are done with sponges, the cheaper ones with the larger holes in them gives ya the best detail. I used to get a bag of assorted sizes at the Dollar General store for a buck (but it has been a few years since I have painted) first paint the whole wall the color grout you want between your bricks. next cut your sponges the size brick you want. I always cut mine with an exacto knife to get a sharp clean edge, I cut 2 & then a half one for the edges & corners. Dampen your sponge & ring it out as dry as you can, then using an old stiff brush, put the paint LIGHTLY on your sponge with the old brush, then start your bricks ") you will have to reload your sponge after about 3 or 4 bricks. Measure your wall & adjust your grout line accordingly so your don't end up with a half a brick at the top or bottom of your wall. I always started at the top of the countertop, where there was a straight line for me to follow. When you walk into the room notice the first part of the room where your eye goes to. That is the part where your want your bricks & grout line to be straight for sure. I usually use a pencil or the width of my finger or my paint brush handle to measure the grout lines with. When you put your brick on, you can apply more pressure to different parts of the sponge so you don't get the same pattern, also you can flip your sponge upside down to get a different pattern or you can use your 2nd sponge. The ivy is a simple leaf that I double load on an angle brush, It comes in very handy for covering up any mistakes in the brick, ")LOL I also used outside house paint in my kitchen so it would be more durable & washable. It has held up pretty well for about 14 years now LOL If you notice in the pics, the top bricks are different sizes LOL this was my first brick wall & I didn't measure very well LOl Here is another pic of my kitchen --

This is a plywood sub-floor

This wall has a more standard size brick & 3 colors in it.

If your want more than one color just add a streak here or there on your sponge, when your apply the brick to the wall just wiggle the sponge back & forth just a hair & it will help blend in the different colors. Just remember it is only paint so if ya mess up just get out the roller & cover it up & have fun. If ya got any questions just ask.
    Lilly

• anjabee
    14 years ago

WOW! I gotta try this! ha I have been wanting to do something like this to the concrete on my back patio! Maybe I'll get up the courage this summer since I'll have a tutor!! ha That is really awesome looking! Do you seal it somehow? Especially the floor? ~Anj

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Lily, thanks so much for all the information on this. I will try to remember where this is when I'm ready.

Anj, glad you like it too and maybe between the two of us we will get some projects done with Lilly's help.

My DS stained his concrete out in front of his garage and it's stunning. So if painting would be more work you may want to check out the concrete stain.

Punk

• lillyjane
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Anj, On the floor I used outside house paint & it has 3 coats of polyurethane on it, is was still lookin good after 3 years & then the people sold the house so I don't know what happened after that. On concrete, well the walls hold up good with outside paint but the floors only last about 2 or 3 years before they will start wearing from the traffic, I really don't know how the paint made for concrete will hold up I have never used it. But I do know that once ya put paint on concrete you are stuck with it, so for the floor I would use the stain like Punk had talked about.
    Punk, if ya can't find this when ya get ready to paint just e-mail me ")
    jan")

• mcwarns
    14 years ago

finger paints
    crayons
    water colors
    anything where it has a lot of pieces that can go anywhere
    (foam frames are awsome) either put glue everywhere on it or as her where she wants the piece then put glue there and let her place it

Here is a link that might be useful: Down Pillow

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x