Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Please show us your painted furniture & household objects!

oceanna
16 years ago

Please post pictures of furniture and/or useful household objects you've decorated with paint and inspiration pictures you've saved. I'd love to see them and I think others would too. :-)

Here is a rocker I painted:

{{gwi:2079687}}{{gwi:2079691}}

~

Here are some inspiration pictures I've collected from the net. I DID NOT PAINT THE FOLLOWING. (BTW, if you did any of these pieces, please claim them.) Let's share some inspiration!

{{gwi:2079697}}

{{gwi:2079700}}

{{gwi:2079703}}

{{gwi:2079706}}

{{gwi:2079708}}

{{gwi:2079710}}

{{gwi:2079712}}

{{gwi:2079714}}

{{gwi:2079716}}

{{gwi:2079718}}

{{gwi:2079720}}

{{gwi:2079722}}

{{gwi:2079726}}

{{gwi:2079729}}

{{gwi:2079732}}

{{gwi:2079734}}

{{gwi:2079737}}

{{gwi:2079741}}

{{gwi:2079746}}

{{gwi:2079750}}

{{gwi:2079755}}

{{gwi:2079758}}

{{gwi:2079760}}

{{gwi:2079763}}

{{gwi:2079766}}

{{gwi:2079768}}

{{gwi:2079771}}

{{gwi:2079774}}

{{gwi:2079776}}

{{gwi:2079778}}

{{gwi:2079780}}

{{gwi:2079782}}

{{gwi:2079784}}

{{gwi:2079786}}

{{gwi:2079789}}

{{gwi:2079792}}

{{gwi:2079795}}

{{gwi:2079799}}

{{gwi:2079803}}

{{gwi:2079806}}

{{gwi:2079809}}

{{gwi:2079814}}

{{gwi:2079818}}

{{gwi:2079821}}

{{gwi:2079824}}

{{gwi:2079828}}

{{gwi:2079832}}

{{gwi:2079834}}

{{gwi:2079836}}

{{gwi:2079839}}

{{gwi:2079842}}

{{gwi:2079844}}

{{gwi:2079845}}

{{gwi:2079848}}

{{gwi:2079850}}

{{gwi:2079852}}
{{gwi:2079853}}

{{gwi:2079854}}

{{gwi:2079855}}

{{gwi:2079856}}

{{gwi:2079857}}

{{gwi:2079858}}

{{gwi:2079859}}{{gwi:2079860}}

{{gwi:2079861}}

{{gwi:2079862}}

{{gwi:2079863}}

{{gwi:2079864}}

{{gwi:2079865}}

{{gwi:2079866}}

{{gwi:2079868}}

{{gwi:2079870}}

{{gwi:2079872}}

{{gwi:2079874}}

{{gwi:2079876}}

{{gwi:2079877}}

{{gwi:2079878}}

{{gwi:2079879}}

{{gwi:2079880}}

{{gwi:2079881}}

{{gwi:2079882}}

{{gwi:2079883}}

{{gwi:2079884}}

{{gwi:2079885}}

{{gwi:2079886}}

{{gwi:2079887}}

{{gwi:2079889}}

{{gwi:2079891}}{{gwi:2079893}}

{{gwi:2079895}}

{{gwi:2079896}}

So... do you see anything that inspires you? I have more, but for now I'll take a break and see what you think.

Comments (56)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sky, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Are you going to do any more decorative painting? Could you post some pics of what you've done?

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anjabee, I'm glad you did jump in. If you have pics I haven't posted, please post them.

Thanks tremendously for your kind words. They mean a lot to me. After looking at all the pics of the gorgeous new homes I can't afford over on the decorating forum and the silent thud I've gotten over there when I've posted my pics, I'm ready to crawl in a hole.

I've seen your posts and have greatly enjoyed your work. Your linen closet is darling. I'm with you -- I seldom took pictures of my things or my work until I joined here. I wish we could see your furniture pieces you did.

I sure would love to know how you gals get your text to look so beautiful, like on that sign for your bedroom.

Like with Luvstocraft, looking at your artwork I can easily imagine your home must be utterly charming, apple-pie-and-motherhood-cookies-and-milk welcoming and sure to put a smile on anyone's face and make them want to snuggle up on the couch in front of a roaring fire.

• littledog
    16 years ago

Trashy? Pfffft! I'll not go so far as to suggest jealousy as the motive behind the silence, (or worse, urging you to repaint over something far more beautiful and original than anything they probably happen to have in *their* homes), but as for not "impressing" some of the folks at the decorating forum, remember that Medicrity knows nothing higher than itself. (and that talent instantly recognizes genius.)

To thine own self be true.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Littledog, thanks for your kindness, but they really are lovely people over there, always helping everyone, and are certainly very talented with their decorating skills. I really don't believe it was jealousy. Plus many of them decorate in different styles, such as antiques, and cottage style, and so on, so there is variety there. I honestly think they just didn't like my painting, or didn't like it where it is or something. Come to think of it, even in the ritziest houses they've shown I've never seen a mural or anything like that.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Oceanna, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Right now, the plain painted walls and ceiling molding is the In thing for most who are decorating. It's like everyone wants their homes to look the same.

I know there are some (like me) who still like some wallpaper, but for the most part, wallpaper is "out" right now too.

I think those of us who enjoy being creative will never fit the "mold", because we just see things differently. And there is nothing wrong with that. Just like we all have different personalities, we also find beauty in different things. Life would be so boring if we were all the same. Don't let anyone make you feel your work is "trashy", because it certainly is not.

There are still lots of forums where any type of creative talent is celebrated, and even if you look on Ebay you will find many handpainted items. Right now the Shabby Chic look seems popular, but Primitive still has a big following too.

As for lettering, Anj is so much better at that than I am. All the books I've read say to use the biggest brush you are comfortable with--well, I am finding that I have more control if I use a pretty small brush instead of a bigger one. Even if it takes me longer, I think it just looks neater. I think Anj is a fan of small brushes too.

As for the One Stroke, I've really only learned roses, leaves and some smaller flowers. Now I want to practice doing some fruit--like on the one cabinet in your inspiration photos above. I don't have a single place to use something with fruit on it--but I think it is pretty and want to learn to paint them! LOL I think the One Stroke is fast and fairly easy for freehand painting, but I can't seem to use it when painting a regular pattern. One of the gals on here, Gail, mixes it with her regular painting so well. Have you seen her chairs and fan blades? They are really neat too.

You are welcome to email me pictures, but I have to warn you that I have no clue about the right or wrong way to decorate--I will just be oohing and ahhing over you great painting! LOL Besides, it will be slow on here this month probably, so why not post your pics of the rooms on the conversation side, and all of us can enjoy seeing and discussing them. There are lots of talented people who stop by here and all have been very kind.

Luvs

• littledog
    16 years ago

Oceana. I wasn't being kind. (I'm too truthful to be considered kind...LOL) I meant what I said.

SOME of the people who frequent the decorating forum have great taste and an eye for accessorizing, some don't. You're correct, there is a huge variety of "styles" represented by the indivual posters, but, if you'll recall the thread about what's in or out, you'll realize there's also alot of insecurity and "me too-ism" going around. From the pictures you've posted, it looks like you have a wonderful collection of antique furniture, and your painted border is perfect with it.

The reason you don't see other people posting pictures of murals and/or borders *painted* on their walls is because they either
    A) don't have the talent
    B)don't have the time,
    or C) don't have the money to pay someone else to do it.
    Remember, wallpaper was originally the mass produced solution to the rising middle class who wanted to emulate the wealthy and couldn't afford to have their walls painted. As expensive as the Bradbury Apple Tree border paper is, imagine how much it would cost to pay an artist to custom size and paint it in your home at $100.00 an hour.

But yes, people who appreciate quality most ceratinly DO lavish attention on their homes, including painting. If you want some inspiration, IMHO, the Queen of Loving Detail is Punamysike. (BTW, this link shows the rooms in 360, rotating images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Punamytsike's Drop Dead Gorgeous Home & Projects

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Oceanna~ I'm so sorry you didn't get a good response to your painting on the other forum. People who don't have the talent or love for painting don't understand what goes into it and that there is a little of you in there too. I think it's just gorgeous and I'd never be able to paint over it. Trashy.....NEVER!!! Please post your house pics in Discussions or Conversations and let us ooh and aah over them!! ha I decorate in Americana Prim, but I'm not so set on it that I can't appreciate other styles. And I've never been to decorating school (the closest I get is constantly watching decorating shows), but I know what I like and I'd be happy to give you an opinion on what you are doing. Hey, it's your house, you have to live in it and if you love it.....then it's perfect the way it is!! Don't let anyone else influence you to undo something you are happy with!!
    My DM has a totally different style than mine and occasionally makes comments on my house toward the negative. But I love my style and so does my DH and kids and it feels like home to us. Other people who come in always comment on how warm and cozy they feel in my home. So I think if you love it, it will show and other people will feel that too.
    I also agree with luvs......who wants a generic house that looks like everyone elses?? I sure don't. Make it your own!! :)

The way I do my lettering is to use Microsoft Word to type out what I want in the size and font I want it in....print it out....then just use graphite paper to transfer it to my project and paint it in. Quick, simple and easy. If it's longer than a regular 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper I have sometimes taped several together to get them alined the way I need them.
    I am a huge fan of the smaller brushes. The ones I use the most are my tiny liners sized 10/0, 6/0 and 0/0 and I also have a few shaders sized 0. Don't laugh....to each his own, right? ha

Luvs....where did that garbage can come from??? I don't think I've ever seen that pic before...or the watering can, have I??? Holdin out on me are ya??? ha That can is just ever so cute. You aren't using that for trash are ya?? ha Great job! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Gosh, Anj, I thought I had posted them before. It's the small size garbage can, and I use it to hold my bird seed. Painted cats on it--I know I have a strange sense of humor! LOL

See Oceana, you are getting all kinds of good advice and encouragement here.

Sky, nice to have you come by. Please share pics of any projects you have done if you have them. Like Anj, so many things I painted have been given away and I didn't take any pictures of them. Now taking a picture to share here is priority #1. LOL

Luvs

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Luvs ~~

Your words are music to my ears. Maybe my problem is that I keep watching HGTV and all the walls are solid color. The pics they post on the decorating board are almost all solid color too. I think it's what we get used to seeing and figure is somehow "right."

I still like wallpaper! Not all of it, but certainly some of it. I hate to see that industry suppressed.

But I think those of us who are posting here and in some of the other artistic forums just don't see things that way. We march to our own drums, don't we? And I really don't want my home to be like everyone else's. I don't even want their homes to be all like each other's. It's too boring. I had colored walls back when everyone else's walls were white. I literally painted one wall with John Deere Tractor paint once because it was the only way I could find the color I wanted, kind of a brown orange.

I've seen Gail's fan blades and they're darling. But chairs? Where would I see those, please?

I think your lettering looks great. I'm like you, I like the smaller brushes too. At first the liner scared me as the bristles are so long, and I thought compared to a pencil how could I possibly control it? I thought it might flop all over the place. But I've learned to love it. It's a fun brush to use.

I've always liked detail. I had an art teacher in college who would come stand behind me and yell "bigger, bolder, looser!" For our final we had to make two huge poster boards of either the muscular system or the skeletal system. I used a croquill pen and did the muscle system. It took me 40 hours. It was kind of my way of saying "oh yeah? Take THIS!" to my teacher (you know how we were at that age -- well I was). He had to give me an "A" on it. Neener. All that attention to detail did well for me -- I ended up with a 23 year career at Boeing as a Graphics, Production and Technical Illustrator. In industrial art precision is a must.

Your roses are just breathtaking. I've practiced and practiced them, but I can't do them anywhere near that well. Yours look just like Donnas. Great job! I've never done the pattern work that you all do, but I understand what you mean about One-Stroke being applicable to certain applications and certainly not to others.

I'll see if I can get time to post pics over on the conv. board, thanks. I'm kind of struggling with the room because it's so modern, well, so late 70's anyway, and my furniture is so antique. It fit my last home perfectly. It was a tract home too but I loved the windows which were more tall and narrow. I hate my windows here as they're huge and wiiiiiiiide. They cost a fortune to drape. And they look so un-antique. So I'm trying to make it all work, kind of antique and kind of not. It's weird.

Littledog ~~

Aw shucks. Thanks.

You're right about the people on the decor board. But also some of us are talented in one way and not in another. Did you see the post in the Gallery there about accessorizing? It has some of the most gorgeous photos I've ever seen. I seem to have no talent for accessorizing but I'm hoping to get better at it with their help.

But painting? I love to paint -- whole walls one color or decorative painting. Big things and little things. Flat things and curved things. Painting is just cool and fun. It makes everything new and clean and pretty. It's the cheapest way to instantly transform something from plain to wow.

You're right about why people don't too, and I'll add that there are so many plain walls on HGTV and in magazines that it just gets to look like it's what we're supposed to do. I never have been much for doing what I'm supposed to so. Why start now?

I do think that with all the pics of very expensive homes that do all look pretty much alike over there, people like me aren't brave enough to post pics much. Do you agree? I'd love to see a much wider variety of styles over there and not everything looking alike.

And am I the only one who can't remember for five steps out of the store the name of the color I just bought? I don't care what the name is. I care if I think it's right for my space is all. I was really surprised to see so many people who seem to know all the paint color names.

Yes, I've seen Punamytsike's stuff. She is just amazingly talented! Her home takes your breath away. And she's very generous about sharing how she did something. Nice lady.

And may I add that I absolutely adore people who know what Bradbury and Bradbury is? We can communicate!

I hope Prim and Country and Shabby Chic never ever go "out of style." Like Luvs said, heaven forbid that our homes should all look identical. When I enter someone's home I like to be pleasantly surprised.

Anj ~~

I agree that it just looks easy to someone who doesn't do it. I always wonder when someone who doesn't do something says "you have such talent" -- it's kind of like they think we're born with it. They don't realize that the "talent" is the result of years of practice and of always trying to see beyond the surface. I'm always wondering "How did they do that?" My mind never rests in that way.

It hurts when your own mother criticizes your decorating style. Ouch. Sorry that happens to you. But good for you for knowing what you love and it must be wonderful if your family and friends all love it. Primative has such a cozy quality to it. I really like it. Do you have any pictures of your home posted around here, or would you please post some and let me know where? I'd love to see it.

I can appreciate lots of decorating styles... but not all. "Modern" just leaves me cold. I love embellishment and interest in pieces. I love carving, and rich woods. I swoon over fabulous mouldings and rich cuddly fabrics. The hard-line minimalist stuff makes me want to run for a sweater to stave off the chill, and then fall asleep from boredom. Sometimes someone posts over there to ask "how do you like this" and a bunch of people jump on and say they love it. The truth is I hate it. So I don't post. I doubt sincerely they would like to hear my views.

I'm also a little surprised at how many folks over there don't do a thing for themselves -- they hire everything done. I wasn't raised that way and I didn't raise my kids that way, so I can't identify. It's wonderful to be able to do things for ourselves as we can have it right now and exactly as we want it, and save money too. Then there's that great feeling of "I did that!!" Being creative is more than a choice for some of us. It's a need.

I'm so glad you all share your pictures. I love, love, love eye candy. Can't get enough! I started some threads in the Gallery over on the deco board that are brimming with eye candy. If you folks haven't seen them you might enjoy them.

I love the little brushes and liners too (see above comments to Luvs). I've done the same thing -- print it off the computer and transfer it. I did that on my welcome sign:

{{gwi:2079928}}

I love the syles of lettering I see on so many projects here.

I doubt anyone who doesn't paint looked at my border and realized that was three weeks worth of work. You're all making me think maybe I'll just repaint the wall around my B&B border and then add stripes I like better back underneath it, and keep it. Thanks! :D

• anjabee
    16 years ago

OC~ (I shortened your name Oceanna, hope you don't mind)..I don't have any pics of my house posted, and I'm certainly not going to take any right now. It's a disaster area after Christmas! ha Maybe when the kids get back to school after New Years and I scour it down again I'll take some! ha
    I agree with you on minimalistic...it can be pretty, but feels cold and bland to me. I also don't understand how anyone can have someone else decorate their homes. There is just no personality there. I guess it's all about status and wanting it to look like a magazine. That is not for me!! I love antiques. Your border looks very art deco to me. I hope you decide to paint around it and keep it in. Only change it when YOU are ready for a change! I agree with littledog, does anyone realize how much you would have had to pay someone to paint that on your wall?? :) ~Anj

• gail1055
    16 years ago

Hi, I just got back from a long trip home to Wisconsin. (I winter in FL). My dad passed away so I made the trip for his funeral. He was 90 yrs old and lived a full life but it's always hard to say goodbye. Anyway enough with the sad stuff. When I checked my email I couldn't figure out why Anj bump some of my old posts. I'm so tired it took me a while to figure it out but I finally saw this post from Oceanna. I love your painted walls. I've never gotten up the courage to paint a wall yet. Maybe someday. I take it you missed some of my painted chairs so here they are. Some of these I may have posted before but I think most are new here. These are all things I painted a year or two ago. Oh and thanks Anj for thinking about my chairs. It was nice of you to bump them. Gail

• anjabee
    16 years ago

OC~ if you are wondering where Gails pieces are I bumped up for you, go over to the discussion side of this forum.

Gail~ hi and my condolences on your Dad. Very sorry to hear that and may just be me, but it seems to be harder to lose someone at this time of year. ((hugs)) to you!

I only had a chance to look for a few minutes so I didn't think I got all your chairs bumped up before I had to leave. My memory is shot, but I don't think I remember any of these. Either way it's good to see them. I love that little pooh bear bench and that armoire is gorgeous!! That card chair would be a perfect gift for someone I know! They all look wonderful. That's one good thing about losing your mind...it's like seeing everything for the first time....over and over again! ha ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Gail, so sorry about your Dad. Glad you were able to make the trip, I know there is allot of bad weather going on right now.

What a treat! Nope, haven't seen any of these. I too love the little Pooh chair, and that musical one really caught my eye too. Great job on all of them.

Luvs

• annielu
    16 years ago

WOW!! I absolutely LOVE your stuff!!!
    I have been thinking of painting a mural on my kitchen wall, and you have given me the inspiration!!
    Your home must be awesome!!!!!!!

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Gosh, I hate that you got the silent treatment from the decorating forum. Once a teacher told me that the untrained eye cannot fully appreciate what a painter does and I think that is so true. Everything I have seen so far is beautiful! And I am not just being nice, it is true. You can count on us here at the painting forum to be thrilled at seeing any of your projects. Just wish we had more people posting what they have done. For me, I like showing what I have made or painted but I get embarrassed when someone compliments me. Painting has been a part of my life ever since I can remember and I don't think it will change.

When I read everyone's posts, I think to myself, this is someone I could really enjoy being with - they seem to have the same passion for painting as I do.

So, keep posting, I for one love seeing all the projects everyone has been working on.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anj ~~

I hear you; my house is a mess right now too. It often is. I had a dear older lady visit me one day and I apologized for my house and I'll always remember what she said. It would make a good sign. She patted me lovingly on the arm and said, "Nothing creative ever comes of a clean house." Gotta love it!

I hired a decorator once for an hour (all I could spring for and I'm glad). I didn't agree with anything she said. lol! I had to bite my tongue a lot and then pay her. Buh-bye decorator.

The border is Art Deco -- good call. I always wanted that border made by Bradbury and Bradbury. If you haven't seen their site you owe it to yourself; it's loaded with stunning eye candy. They really have a way with color, too. Anyway, I can't afford the stuff, so I decided to paint it for myself. Mine is a little simpler than theirs. I don't know what I would pay to have that done, but you couldn't hire me to do it -- it was too much like work. hehe

Thank you SO much for bumping up all Gail's wonderful chair posts for me. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed them. You made my day!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gail, I'm so sorry about your losing your dad. My mom was 86 and my dad 90 when they went, and you're right, there's never a good time to lose your parents. My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Oh my gosh I LOVE your painting!! Where on earth do you get all the ideas? When I saw your armoire, I said "WOW" right out loud. You are immensely talented. I can't stress that enough. I was hoping you'd post here and I hope you'll post the rest of your painted furniture here too. It's so enjoyable looking at what you've done. Did you take painting classes? You sure could teach them -- maybe you do?

I read where you said you charge $75 apiece for your marvelous chairs. If you sold them on eBay I think they'd go for more. I'm not quite sure how to look into shipping for something like that, but I suppose one could phone around. The buyer would pay for packing and shipping so I'm imagining all you'd have to do is drop the chair off somewhere? Have you sold any smaller pieces on eBay? I can well imagine them fighting over your pieces. I also wonder how they would do on Craigslist, and it's free to advertise there.

Your work is just wonderful and you have a marvelous sense of what will appeal to folks. Now I want to see everything you've ever done!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Wow.

I'm so happy if I can inspire you. You know, it's a bit nerve wracking for me when I step up to a wall with a paintbrush. Getting over the fear and getting started is the hardest part for me. But then I remind myself "it's only paint." I love working in paint because it's so forgiving and flexible. So I say go for it!! The work I've seen you do is charming. And then post your pictures, please.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your kind words. Most of what's posted over there on the Decorating Forum is new homes, very magazine pretty stuff, and not much in the way of any original artwork or creations -- other than the decorating itself certainly being artwork and creation. I think we can get a bit brainwashed by seeing the same stuff in magazines and tv all the time, don't you? That comes to be our expectation of what "good" is. But in truth there are kazillions of examples of "good" out there which don't resemble one another at all. I think artists' homes are the most interesting of all to visit.

Yes it's *wonderful* to be able to chat with other artists here. I dated an artist once and it was the most fun I'd ever had with any man before. He and I used to go browse the antique shops together. Having folks to chat with who truly understand is so refreshing and fun.

I know what you mean about getting embarrassed. I'm not sure if embarrassed is the right word, but it can be a little uncomfy being complimented. I wonder why our society is that way? I guess it beats heck out of being a conceited jerk, though. lol

Oh, I so agree! I wish we all lived on the same block together. Wouldn't we all have a blast together?

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Oceana, I just wanted to tell you that over the holidays I had the opportunity to meet a young couple who are both in Art school. Their Mom is my neighbor and they were here visiting. She showed me some of their work--and I was WOWED! One was a pencil drawing of a man--it was so good that it looked like a photograph! I kept going back to look at it again and again. The painted artwork was lovely too, and they are both very talented. It was so nice to see such talent.

I should have taken more classes and "stretched" myself to learn more. I got sidetracked once I was able to do the "cute" things that I loved. Actually, it was seeing signs and wreaths with pigs and cows, etc. that got me started. I couldn't afford the retail items so determined to learn to paint so I could do my own. If I would have kept learning, I might be able to do those eyes and beards like Bebe does so well. ;o) I think she is an "expert", yet she still loves taking classes and learning new techniques. Gotta admire that, and I do.

Anj has a real talent too, her painting is so neat and very good. Someday when she finally has time to take a class, she is going to learn tricks and techniques that will amaze her--and she will just love painting even more! I hope I am still in touch with her then. ;o)

Annielu has been selling her pieces at craft fairs and I am sure she will have repeat customers if she does the same shows next year. You can tell that she really enjoys painting.

Gail amazes me with her ability to look at a chair and figure out just the perfect design to fit the style of the chair. And she has mastered combining regular painting with the One Stroke painting! I don't find that easy at all.

And you--I have to tip my hat to you. I know how much measuring and math I had to do just to stencil a border in my bathroom--I can't even imagine hand painting a border on the wall like you did.

We all have our own "style" and likes, but because each of us paint, we know enough to really appreciate each other's efforts and talents.

I love seeing projects everyone paints, and I enjoy being able to share my projects on here, just makes it so fun to have a wider audience to share with. Like PF, I wish more would come share pics of thier projects with us--there is no reason to be shy or scared--we all know that everyone had to begin somewhere, and therefore not everyone will paint at the same level--but all of us will love seeing it and offering our words of praise or encouragement. ;o)

Luvs

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Ah, Luvs, you are such a nice person. I bet we would all be really good friends if we lived near each other. I cannot imagine life without painting. I think I was born to teach painting because I have such a passion for it. I am sure people think I am a bit nuts when they meet me in the painting department of the craft store because I immediately think they must be a friend if they are buying paint or a brush. Some will talk to me and others give me that funny look - you probably know the look - who are you and why are you bothering me?

I admire all the work I have seen on this forum, from the cute bears to the beautiful chairs. I love the different techniques we all have, especially when someone starts off with One Stroke and you can see how their personality developed through their painting, then it is no longer defined as One Stroke, it starts to define that person. And everyone does something a little different - I think that is the beauty of Art.

Where else can you post something you did and whether it is really good or maybe not your best piece but everyone will see it differently and appreciate it. And the thing about most painters is that they want to continually learn.

So with that said, let's see more pieces.

• gail1055
    16 years ago

Oceanna, thanks so much for your kind words about losing my dad. It really makes it especially sad when you realize both your parents are gone.

I'm glad you like my painting and thanks for the compliments. I see so many good painters here that I only wish I could do better ;~). I taught myself some one stroke painting about 5 years ago when I bought a DD book. I was sure I could do it because I did some brush lettering in school way back when. I'm a lefty though so I have to do it backwards. I also took an oil painting class 30 yrs ago but I can't say I learned anything from it. Using acrylics is new to me and much harder to paint with. And I had never painted on wood before. I saw a painted chair at a craft show and just happened to have a couple old chairs sitting in my garage. So I decided to give it a try. Soon my friends were encouraging me and ordering signs and chairs from me. Things really got out of hand when I donated a chair to a painted chair auction the historical society was having in the town I live in. I soon found myself joining the local art association. Which happens to be in charge of one of the biggest art shows in the state. That show is the only one I enter. I get my ideas the same way you do. Looking at pictures on the internet. I try not to copy anything. The chair I'm painting usually dictates the design. The custom chairs I do are inspired by the customer. They give me ideas I never would of come up with.

I do have a lot of fun taking an old chair and seeing what I can turn it into. But it is a lot of work. All the repairing and sanding. The priming and basecoating. And then coming up with the design and painting it on the chair. Then of course you have to put several coats of a sealer on it. I should be able to get a lot more for my chairs. Sometimes they go for $85. I'd say 75 to 100 is the range they sell at. I thought about ebay. I even kept track of some painted chairs that were selling and they never sold. I checked on what it would cost to ship a chair and it was way to high. There is a local ebay site called Kijiji that is free and I could do pick up only. I haven't tried it though. Right now I just keep busy doing what I'm doing. Here's a few more things I've painted.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gail, wow -- you've been busy! No wonder you're so good; you've had a lot of practice.

Your work is just wonderful. I know you hear that all the time, but maybe it takes on a different dimension when you hear it from one of us. We have a very good idea of what goes into each piece. We know nobody is just "born this way" but that when we see work like this it's a result of a lot of practice, careful thinking, research & planning, decision making, hard work and elbow grease, and often some ups and downs as the piece looks to be either coming together or not in its various stages.

I grinned reading your history of how you learned. I've done some type of artwork or another ever since I was a kid, but 23 years of it was mainly industrial. Lots of precision, and only allowed creativity some years in some jobs, but not all.

Like you, I took an oil painting class about 30 years ago. About three years ago I watched Donna Dewberry on tv and taped a few of her shows. Then I practiced on cardboard boxes, then flattened them and left them at the curb on trash day. I'd have loved to have seen the expression on the face of the trash man when he discovered roses painted all over my discarded boxes. He may still be scratching his head over that one!

Unlike you, I started painting on my house walls with the thought that I'd practice here and then maybe hire out for it. But I discovered that I haven't got the stamina to hire it out unless it were just a small job. It's one thing to paint a little then rest for quite a while and then go back to painting whenever I get around to it at any crazy hour for as long or short as I please. It's quite another to do it for hire.

Your post made me realize something; I don't think I've ever painted on wood yet. lol! I always imagine I can do anything I like, but standing in front of something with a paintbrush in hand it takes a little moxy to touch that first brush stroke to the project, at least for me. There's always that point where an utter lack of self-confidence hits and I have to push myself through it. I keep remembering Donna saying over and over "it's only paint."

Like you and apparently several others here, I sometimes do one-stroke and sometimes just wing it. I sometimes get inspiration from things and sometimes just wing it. I'm awfully scared to copy anyone's work not just from a copywrite standpoint but because I wouldn't have pride in it after all my hard work. Two exceptions are the sunflowers over my kitchen sink (from a DD book) and the border in the living room (a fair but not exact copy of a Bradbury & Bradbury border). DD was the inspiration for my bath artwork but it was my own creation, just freehanded on the wall with no pre-pencil tracings or anything. I just walked up to the blank wall and did it with a couple of straight lines for guides. For the picture on the wall I drew a partial circle around my laundry basket!

I collect a lot of pictures, not just of painting but of home decor, which I love. But my own house is always too messy, the kind of messes that come from being into one project after another and never being quite satisfied. Being creative and pursuing beauty is rather a curse; it's an unrelenting need for me. I hope others here can identify with those words because I'd sure have a hard time explaining them.

When I first viewed this house, the PO's mom was a real estate agent and she had staged it. She had placed between the garage doors the most adorable little child's rocker with a potted flower in the seat. It was not painted though. I fell in love with it. But I didn't get to examine it as I had to examine the entire house.

So I'd like to ask you some silly questions if you don't mind sharing. I have a mind that just wants to know everything. I see that the seats are gone on your flower pot chairs -- did you throw them out? Or did you actually find that many chairs with missing seats? Or did you cut them up and turn them into signs? I see in some pics you have something that looks like moss in the chair seats? Can you explain what you do there please? I don't understand.

Do you live in a warm climate? I can't imagine people keeping wooden furniture outdoors here except in summer, as it rains 9 months of the year. Our decks and fences are cedar, or they would rot quickly.

One of these days I'll do some furniture or signs. And I'll no doubt stand in front of them with paintbush in hand like a deer in headlights before I get brave enough. lol! I suspect that painting furniture or on canvas or paper is a lot smarter than painting walls. Furniture and framed artwork can be moved, sold, gifted, passed down to our kids, etc. Walls are just... there for good. Paintings on them either stay or go away for ever.

Thank you all so much for sharing all your wonderful pieces! I truly enjoyed looking at every single one and will return to look at them some more. I like to look at everyone's work and mentally try to recreate how the strokes might have been done, how I would do it, and what went into each piece, to ponder at the perfect blending, the perfect lines, the choices of colors. I have immense admiration for all of you and so enjoy seeing your work.

• gail1055
    16 years ago

Oceanna,

Your questions aren't silly at all. The chairs I paint are all old and discarded chairs. Some I find on the curb and some I buy at garage sales. A lot of them are already missing the seat or it's broken. Sometimes the seats are covered in some old upholstery and I remove them. I never thought of reusing the seat for signs. Next time I'll have to check to see if that's possible. I then put a wire hanging basket with cocoa liner in the opening. They usually fit perfectly. I buy them at Walmart for about $5. Someone suggested I buy plastic mesh that they use for fencing. You can find it at Home Depot. But I like the look of the cocoa liner and it would be more expensive to have to buy sheets of that. At first I tried making my basket out of chicken wire but it was very difficult to do. I do not live in a warm climate. My home state is Wisconsin but I winter in Florida. I tell people when they buy my planter chairs that they need some protection from the weather. They should be on a covered porch or even inside.

I love your painted walls and borders. I don't think I could do that. I like to be able to turn the piece I'm painting this way and that to make some of the strokes. I think I'd be at a loss trying to paint a wall that wont move. You do very good work.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Gail, Wow! Even more beautiful chairs. You have certainly painted allot of them. Each one I see, I think this is my favorite one--then I look at the next one and think the same thing! LOL Luvs

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gail, thanks for all the great answers. I'll have to remember those baskets are at Walmart if I ever do a chair like that. Lucky you to get to winter in the sunshine! We're so drippy wet up here in the Seattle area -- every day I go out and "windmill" my morning paper to get the bulk of the water off the plastic bag it's in before bringing it in. I mean *every* day. It makes good sense to me that your lovely chairs need to be protected from wet weather. I can't even keep stain on my deck in this much rain.

Thanks for your kind comments on my walls. Oh yes, you could paint walls if you wanted. But yes sometimes I have to do some gyrations to be able to angle the strokes just right. It takes another painter to even think of that!

• shellybedsaul
    15 years ago

I am so inspired. Georgeous stuff ya'll. Has me rethinking a dresser I'd started. I just joined this group, but I can tell already, I'll be here ALOT! For now I'll just post the pic of my humble lil coffee table. I kept the design simple because, as you can see, there's already a cacaphony of pattern in the room.

Here is a link that might be useful: tulip table

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love your tulip table, Shelly. Now I can't wait to see your dresser!

• calirose
    15 years ago

Thank you all for not deleting your pictures!! I wander through these forums and it is so depressing to attempt to see a picture that is no longer there.

All of the above work is so beautiful. I paint on canvas - landscapes and abstracts - and love all of the decorative painting you have shown here. I am glad that someone posted on the standard forum page to check out the gallery because I thoughtall posts were on the forum and linked to the gallery.

I especially loved the art deco border; I recently traveled and stayed at an old hotel built in 1929 with beautiful tile work.

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Hi calirose! Glad to have you here and hope you will join us. We'd love to see some of your paintings. We enjoy all types of painted projects here. If you need help posting pictures there is a tutorial on the Discussions side of this forum! Welcome and enjoy! ~Anj

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calirose, welcome! Thanks for your kind comment on my border. I'm actually about to paint that out, I think. It's just not doing anything for the room. I need to paint more on things that can be moved around and less on walls. Glad you enjoyed this thread! I'll look forward to seeing your work. Please post pictures.

• calirose
    15 years ago

Thanks for the invite and welcome, anj and oceanna!

Oceanna, I understand your position - all that delicate line work though! At least you have pictures of it!!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump to request that folks please keep adding your artwork and your inspiration stashes here. Thanks!

• luthien
    15 years ago

OMG! I'm gobsmacked! i totally have nothing to say except that this post should stay on the first page of the gallery forum ALWAYS... so that whenever any of us is out of inspiration... we can come here a grovel at whoever painted these things. Oceanna... your work is out of this world... makes me feel like a ninny painting small stuff! i am gonna bookmark this page in case it gets lost in the gallery!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Luthien. I'll pop this thread back up by adding a few things.

I hope you'll add some of your projects! :)

This one might be decoupaged?

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As long as I'm in the mood...

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A few more for fun...

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

There's some really neat painted items there Oceana, but too many for me to remember so I can comment on them individually!

I'd enjoy links to websites of other painters so I could read their comments as well as seeing their work. I enjoy hearing things like whether they created the design themselves or used a pattern. How they decided on which design to use for the project or vice versa. So if you come across any painter's websites or blogs, I'd love it if you would share those with us.

So have you been painting? You've been away from here for a long long time. We have had a few really fun painters joining in here, so we're more active than before. Did you end up painting over your border or not? It was such a nice one, I'm sort of hoping you kept it! ;o)

Thanks for sharing your collection of pics with us, they are fun to look at, and there's so much variety.

Luvs

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Luvs! I'm glad you're enjoying the pics.

I'm completely redoing my split entry, which has turned into a huge learning experience -- mistakes, extra work, learning how to cut wood in weird angles, malfunctioning nail guns, hammering, ripping out, mudding gouges, sanding, cursing, etc. I'm thinking about putting one little decorative painting project in there at the end, if I ever reach the end! I'll post before and after pix in the Decorator board when it's completed.

The way I collect pics doesn't lend itself to collecting web sites, sorry. But you have a great idea and I think that would make an excellent project for anyone who would like to contribute to this board in that way.

I see you folks have been busy over here. I've been admiring all your talent! :o)

• sherwoodva
    15 years ago

Oceana, I've always loved the collections that you post. Your painting is wonderful. You have a lot of patience and talent.

I was a lurker for a long time, but I totally agree with the comments on this thread - people who don't paint have very different decorating taste. An older neighbor did not say a word the first time she came into my kitchen and saw a wisteria tree "growing" up the wall. To each his own, I guess. Thank goodness DH is into color and art too.

All of you are so nice. I will echo what someone else said - thank you for keeping the pix up. It is so frustrating to open an old post and the pix are no longer there.

Happy painting!

CC

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi CC -- I agree about the pix disappearing. I've often looked at older threads on this board only to discover the photos had disappeared. That's why I don't use Photobucket. I used to use Imageshack, but switched to TinyPic and like them better. I recommend them! You don't need to sign up or anything. I have no "album."

Thanks for the kind words about my painting. Again I want to point out to everyone that the majority of what I've posted here is *not* my work. The credit belongs to other very talented artists. Where it was my work I said so.

That's a shame about your neighbor saying nothing about your tree. I hope others have been more observant and appreciative.

One of my neighbors took a look at the borders I'd painted on my staircase. She was about three feet into my house, and she looked right at my border and said, "Don't overdo it with too much decorative painting." Sheesh.

But go look at the muralist sites, and you'll often see that they're putting their work into multi-million dollar estates!

Oh, I forgot (sorry Luv) that I did do a couple of things since I was last here...

This was a little plain box from Michaels:

This is a shelf/peg rack I also got from Michaels. I fashioned my cat after one that is pictured in this post, and the rest after a painting I loved on eBay. Then I turned the ends of the pegs into ladybugs for fun.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

You're projects are really nice, Oceanna. I just love your little bird, really looks like feathers. Your shading is just perfect on him too. The kitty looks like he/she is trying to decide which house to go to for some treats! ;o) Luvs

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! That was the first bird I ever painted. The project was adapted from "Birds in my Garden" by Barbara Baatz Hillman. I really like the projects in that book and would love to do them all.

It was my first cat, too. I think he looks worried or sad, but I can't quite place why. Maybe it's in the mouth?

I have two Sherry Nelson books on painting birds that I'd love to work my way through by doing each of the projects. I also have a book marvelous on how to paint fur and feathers I'd love to work through -- kind of ala Carl Brenders quality. Gosh, if I just worked through the books I have now I'd be a lot better painter.

I am thinking about maybe doing a small bird on my staircase wall, as if he's sitting on the chair rail, but I'm a bit hesitant. I like the idea. I would make him so he's soft and almost blends with the wall, but is realistic, so he'd be a bit of a surprise and it would be amusing to see if anyone noticed him. But reaching over that chair rail may be very frustrating. I'll probably check it out just with a dry brush to see if I can get my hand in at all the angles I'd like. Maybe I'll settle for doing a canvas or two instead.

Another pipe dream of mine is to be able to paint roses like Christy Repasy. Dream on, huh? lol

• paintgirl2008
    15 years ago

All the pictures of painted items were beautiful. I loved all your chairs, and all the birds and flowers. I am bookmarking this page so I won't lose it.Beautiful work and very inspiring! Thank you for sharing and keep 'em coming!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I love Gail's chairs too, and all of Luvs' wonderful projects too. I'm so happy they both posted here. They are amazingly talented! If ever I need inspiration, this is where I come for eye candy.

• sherwoodva
    15 years ago

Oceana, your bird box and cat shelf are adorable. I think you have a great sense of color in addition to painting skills. There is no way I can keep up with all of you now, but wait until I retire, smile!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Colorcrazy, thanks! :o)

I hope people will post more furniture to this thread.

• luckygal
    12 years ago

What a fun thread! I love so many of these pieces and do appreciate the artistic talent as I don't have it myself. TFS I'll be back to look at the pics more closely.

• anjabee
    12 years ago

As I was looking thru the pics and reading all the old posts I was thinking how much I missed Gail and Oceanna and all their pretty projects and ta-da....there you are Oceanna! You should come and play with us more!! I hope we have more posts to this as well. Most of my furniture gets painted black, but I do like looking at the creativity of others. lol ~Anj

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

bump