Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anjabee

Snowman mitten...

anjabee
15 years ago

Ok, just so you know...this little guy is a mess. ha This was my tester just to see how this snowman would look on the mitten and I did it fairly quickly and at midnight last night so it's not the greatest paint job and he's on there a little crooked too. ha But... wanted to see what ya'll thought. I bought a whole bag of these mitten cutouts this past summer. We have a whole bunch of friends and neighbors that we exchange little gifts with (not expensive)and thought this might be a good idea for it. If ya'll think it's a good idea, then I'm gonna make up a bunch more. It has a safety plug cover glued on the back to plug into an outlet. If you think it's cheesy or dumb you can let me know that too. ha Didn't know what to do with the little holes that are in them so just tied some jute into a knot in it so if you can think of something better for that please tell me. ~Anj

Oh, almost forgot. I got the snowman pattern from the book...Warm 'n Wooly Friends by Renee Mullins. Her's was painted on a snowflake ornament. And I just noticed he's supposed to have snow on the top of his nose too, but you get the idea. ha If I make more I'll do them more carefully I promise! =) ~Anj

Comments (13)

• luthien
    15 years ago

omg! this is a great idea!!!!!and the snowman look just fine the way he is :))))) i'm gonna steal this idea of yours if you dun mind :)))

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

What a creative idea! Would never have thought about using those little outlet plugs, how did you ever think of that? He's a darling little guy, and looks perfect on the mitten--you did great even if your eyes were half closed at midnight! LOL The jute works fine, good thinking.

Luvs

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey ya'll. Glad you liked the idea. I'm sure I must have seen the plug idea somewhere?? I never come up with original ideas on my own. ha I was cleaning out a drawer and came across a whole bag of them that I've collected over the years having small kids. Was thinking about the mittens for ornaments, but then thought this might be cute.

I think if I do more I'll flip the next one upside down and see if it will work better that way?? That way the jute or ribbon can hang down and won't get in the way of the snowman. And think I'll do Warm Winter Wishes for the words. Any suggestions would be appreciated!! My DM wants this one already, but I'll do a better one for her. ha ~Anj

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

So creative! I like the way he is... just fine! I already have copies the idea to my "to do" list, Thank You!

Did ya just glue the pluggy thing to the wood? Thanks for sharing this great idea.

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Belle....yes, I just glued the plug cover to the back with hot glue. Glad you liked it. =) ~Anj

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Anj, you are so creative and your projects always turn out great. You will be a hit this Christmas with your friends and neighbors. What a cute snowman. Keep up the great work. This reminds me of a snowman coat hanger sign I painted years ago with hooks and it said mittens, caps and winter wraps.

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you PG!

Here is one turned the other way. I took more time on this one so it's painted a little better. I like the cheeks much better on this one and the nose color is better IMO. DH suggested the bells. I'm gonna try to find some rusty bells to put on it instead of the gold. So which way do you like better?? Fingers pointing up or down? ~Anj

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

I love it, Anj. That is so darn cute. I like the mitten up. You put more detail on it so that may be why. When I look at them together here it's like the upright mitten has more high lights. I still like the other one also. The bells are cute and rusty ones would look good too.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

I think I like the 2nd one best only because I love the addition of the bells and they would dangle over your painting in the 1st one. Tell DH the bells were a good idea. Wonder if you can rust the bells like we did the tin cans--just spray with vinegar and leave outside to dry. Might take a couple of times. But hey, I think I saw the rusty color bells at Dollar Tree. For a buck, that might be better, huh? Glad you were able to get in some more painting time. These are really cute. Luvs

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya'll. I like the second one I did better too. The first one didn't have any hilites or details hardly cause I just hurried and did it just to see how it would look and if my idea would work. ha I'll probably sand it down and re-do it. Or maybe just turn it over and paint the other side if I can pop the plug cover off. I like it pointing up because the jute and bells hang down better.

Luvs!! Thank you! I'm gonna run over to the $1 store tomorrow and see if they have any little rusty bells. If not I'll try Roberts and then as a last resort try to rust them myself. Michaels for sure doesn't have any. I wonder if I can string them onto a kabob stick and spray paint them with that rust colored spraypaint??? Guess I could try one and see. Gotta be quick I'm running out of time! ha

Thanks again everyone! ~Anj

• paintingfool
    15 years ago

Well, Anj, it is so darn cute!! But then you always have such cute ideas. Love it!!
    B

• calirose
    15 years ago

You did it again! Very cute!

• diarich
    15 years ago

That is really a good idea! My grandson is just noticing plugs.
    Diana

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living