Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

snowman shutter

luvstocraft
15 years ago

Had a couple of shutters given to me by my neighbor, so I painted this snowman on one. I want to add a big red bow and some greenery at the top as soon as I pull out my Christmas decorations. Might paint something more at the bottom of the snowman, maybe another bird. I looked at one of Renee Mullin's patterns for inspiration. Plan to display him on my front patio. Luvs

Comments (16)

• diarich
    15 years ago

He turned out so cute!
    You always come off with the cutest ideas!
    Hugs
    Diana

• paintingfool
    15 years ago

How cute, Luvs, was it difficult to paint the shutter? I think it will look really nice on your front porch, as a greeter, maybe hang a welcome sign, that will fill up some of the space. Although, I do like him just the way he is.
    B

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Wish I could see a closer upper picture, but I LOVE it! Love Renee Mullins so you picked a good inspiration. ha So tell us how it was painting the shutter. I know you've painted others, but I can't remember if they had as much detail. Great addition to your porch decor! He'll get lots of smiles and DGD is gonna love him too! ~Anj

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Luvs, looks like a wonderful redo for the shutter. I'd like to see a close up also. The red bird on his hat looks good. Take another picture if you change it and post ok?

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi all, I'll take some better pictures of him when I add the bow and greenery. I just felt that I haven't been contributing here much lately and wanted to hurry up and get him posted.

The shutters were originally sort of streaked gray color, so I just did a bit of sanding then spray painted it black on both sides. I think trying to trace a pattern on might be hard, but I just looked at a picture in a book and sort of free hand painted him. (Don't have any patterns that big--this shutter is about 3 1/2 ft. tall I guess. Not allot of details, so it was pretty easy to paint.

I recently found some smaller shutters about half this size, two sets of four shutters for only $3.99 per group. Since I don't have a place where I can use them, I may take them apart and paint designs on them. At first I thought about painting them to use on the window shelf on my front patio, but they block my view too much! I like being able to see out easily. LOL

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Luv....your choice of a "canvas" is awesome. Must have been a chore to match one board to the next. And to think that I just took some apart and used the wood to do other projects when I could have painted it.

Really great work!

Belle

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Belle, where have you been, gal? It really was easier than I expected, but I made sure I chose a simple design too. So what did you make with the one you took apart? Have you been doing any painting lately? Don't forget to come share with us when you do, okay? Luvs

• luthien
    15 years ago

omg luvs! that is mega fantastic! snowman on shutters lol! too cute! your guests this christmas will be tickled to bits when they see him :)))) was it that easy to paint on shutters? looks really time consuming... but it's worth it!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luthien, it really wasn't hard at all. Of course, like I said, I chose an easy pattern since this was my first try at it. I've got all my Christmas boxes out now so will be fixing a bow and some greenery to finish this up so it can go out by my front door. I'll post another, and hopefully, better pic then.

I have two sets of four small shutters that I picked up cheap at the GW. Might have to take them apart and paint on some of them too--might make cute gifts for friends.

Luvs

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

OK Luvs, I'm here and you haven't posted the new picture.LOL My daughter brought me my camera and it's not working right so don't know when I'll be able to post again. I'm going back and look at all your last years decorations.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry Phonegirl, had a busy day and just now getting a chance to post the updated pictures. I just added some greenery and a little redbird at the left edge. I think it filled it in nicely. I still might paint another bird at the bottom right side of the snowman--maybe next year. I've already put it out by our front door. He's pretty big! LOL I'm sorry I don't take better pictures. I sure hope Photobucket will work right so you can click to enlarge these. Hmmm, the cheeks barely show up in the pic, might need to darken them a bit I guess.

Luvs

• anjabee
    15 years ago

I try not to use the "H" word so I have to say I greatly dislike Photobucket. ha Can't enlarge them, but can see them a little more closeup in these pics. The greenery looks awesome on it. It's a super cute piece. Still loving it! Has DGD seen it yet? Anybody else? I bet you are getting lots of compliments on it. =D ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DGD and DIL both saw it when I was painting it! Can't wait to see the reaction when DGD walks up to the front door and it is almost as tall as she is! She had to get used to the crow lady and now this! LOL

Wonder what is going on with Photobucket? I was able to enlarge these, and now you can't. It is really getting irritating, but I hate to have to switch to another one. I had tried Flicker for family pics, but now found out they are only free for a short time! DIL had told me about them so I didn't actually read all the fine print!:o(

Luvs

• luthien
    15 years ago

yea... for every 10 times i try to open some of the photos in photobucket, at least 7 times it doesn't work! i use flickr... it seems alright and i've never had a problem with overusing the limit they give us each month. just for curiosity... does anyone of you ladies resample/resize your photos to a smaller size before putting them in sites like flickr or photobucket? when i take pics with my digital, they are like 2.something MB! so i resize them to 500px X 375px and they will below 500kb... just a thought to save precious storage space.

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Luvs, Woo hoo, I love it. Your final touches are wonderful, you have a great finished project. My daughter stopped in this morning with her digital so I shot a few pictures to share, I'll be posting.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luthien, We never used to have any problem with clicking on the pictures and having them enlarge. This just started happening around Halloween when they made changes and added all the fancy backgrounds. I managed to get an email addy for their support staff and wrote them about how aggravating this problem is.

I've never had to worry about resizing with Photobucket. Just transfer from my own computer to Photobucket and use the "generate url and html" button at the bottom of the page. It does it all for me.

My Flicker account notified me that my "free" time is nearly up, and there will now be a fee. I don't want to pay a fee, that's why I'm still tolerating Photobucket.

I'll let you all know if I hear anything back from them.

Luvs