Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anjabee

Meet Belcher...

anjabee
15 years ago

I know it's a little after the fact, but I finally got my John Sliney Halloween project painted. This was my first time using the candle wax to make the edges rough and I should have been a little more agressive with it, but it turned out ok. I like the look of it and will use it again on other projects. Anyway, hope ya'll enjoy. I'm moving on to Winter/Christmas projects now. ~Anj

Comments (12)

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry you guys. Photobucket is really getting on my nerves. I guess anytime we put in thumbnails now....even if you have your album set to private....it lets everyone see your album unless you delete certain codes in your picture. Blah Blah Blah. So I tried to re-do my pics, but that screwed something else up and I think it unlinked my other pictures, but still linked to my album so here are the regular sized ones. (shaking fist at Photobucket!!) What a pain!

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, the first pictures are now back again and my album is not showing now. ha Photobucket AAAAAAHHHHHH! Sorry for the doubles you guys. ~Anj

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

I love Belcher. What a great project. You did a fantastic painting job on him too. I like the border and all. Did you copy this from the book or is most of the extras, your own creation? I have never painted any of his work but will try to find some books and see if I can do as well as you have. I have a whole year so it could happen. LOL

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I was having so much problems posting the pics that I forgot to put the book name. It's from A Road to a Holiday Past 2. Kraftymom painted his "Too Much Fertilizer" from the same book and it's posted on the Discussion side. There are a few more in this book that I want to do. I pretty much painted it from the pattern, but I used different colors since I didn't have the ones called for in the book. They are pretty close though mine's tongue is a little more magenta than his pink one. ha Glad you like him. My kids LOVE him!! ha ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Anj, He's a pretty strange character! I can see why your kids would love him! I love the squiggly Happy Halloween words. Your shading and hi-liting are all really good, and I like the edges too. As always you did a really good painting job on him.

What's up with our Photobucket? It was just great and now they're doing something to mess it up. Wonder if it's because of all the new background options or something. I wish they would just put it back the way it was--working!

Luvs

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I figured out what the problem was when I was posting. I had signed in when I did the pics, then just clicked the window off. When I went to view the pics in my post, photobucket kept signing in for me so I could see my album and I thought everyone else could too. I went to a photobucket troubleshooting blog and read that a bunch of people were having problems with it, but the mediator just said that photobucket was working on it, never gave a solution. I then figured out that I had to actually logout and then when I viewed the pics I couldn't see the album. So I think I can count mine as user error. ha Just not used to the changes since I haven't used it much. Need to play around with it a little more. I wish they'd left it alone though. It was simpler to use the other way without all the popups and backgrounds and stuff.

Thanks for the comments ladies. His stuff is a little different, but I like it for that reason. My kids have had fun trying to figure out exactly what Belcher is. I think they decided he was a gumball. ha I was nervous doing the teeth and the eyes. Didn't think I was gonna get them right, but I think they turned out ok and pretty close to his pic. ~Anj

• colorgal
    15 years ago

I think you did a wonderful job on this Anj. I can understand why your kids love it!! I'm having trouble with photobucket too, that's why I just posted my picture the other way. I wish they would leave things alone.

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Anj, Thanks so much for the name of this book. I'll have to go back now and buy one. When I went to his sight I didn't have a clue where you came up with this. Is your last project (the green eyed ?) from this same book? I think they are to funny and you do such great work they turn out wonderful.

• luthien
    15 years ago

belcher is soooooo cute! i love his teeth! hahahaha... maybe because they look somewhat like mine!!!!! what did you mean by candling the edges?

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone....thank you for the nice comments on my ugly critter. ha

Phonegirl...the green one was painted by Kraftymom and yes it is from that same book. That is one that I want to paint too. The book has 1/2 Halloween 1/2 Christmas stuff and he is a folk artist so if you like that you'll most likely like his work.

luthien~ Let's see if I can explain the candling. ha You paint the basecoat that you want to come thru. Let it dry, then you take a candle and rub it all around where you think it would look good rubbed off. His instructions say to be generous with the wax (I should have done more, but it was my first time). Paint your second color over the whole thing. After it dries, get some steel wool and rub where you put the candle wax and the top layer of paint will come off and leave the bottom color exposed giving it an aged look like peeled worn paint. Then of course wipe it down before you continue on with your project. Hope that will work for you. I'm excited to try it again on future projects.

~Anj

• luthien
    15 years ago

hi anj,
    right... i see... it's sort of like a distressing effect :)) that's cool! i always just sandpaper off the top coat... and some of the bottom coat will come off as well! doing it with the candle sort of keeps the bottom coat untouch :))) i will try it :)))))) thanks!

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Wow! to Belcher! He is super and I too am interested in the candle idea. Think I will practice on a scrap of wood.

Great Job on the painting, can't emagine his tongue anyother color!

Belle