Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Little (LITTLE!) gift idea

alisande
15 years ago

Hi Everyone -

I posted this picture last year. Fanny was a cat, Howie a dog, and Liz is my granddaughter. I made a few others for friends with their children's names. This year I'll be spending Christmas Eve with my daughter's in-laws, people I don't normally exchange gifts with, and I've been trying to think of a small token gift to bring to each of them. Eureka! These are sooo easy to do.

So now I'm back to lettering some more ornaments. I'm going to try a couple of ceramic ones this time, which will be harder because with the glass I do the design on paper and then just place the glass on top and trace.

Fanny belonged to an online friend in Canada. She was a lovely black cat, and when she died unexpectedly this summer, her owner buried the ornament with her. A grave marker of sorts. I was honored to have provided it.

Comments (6)

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

These are so neat and you did a great job painting on them. Tell us how you made them and what paint you used, please. I have never seen little ornaments like these before. Thanks so much for posting and I look forward to hearing back from you.

• alisande
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Phonegirl - Thanks for asking! The glass shapes came from AC Moore, $1 each (75¢ this week, on sale). I used enamel paints from Delta and Folk Art, with a clear gloss glaze (Delta) on top.

I just drew the lettering and holly on paper, set the glass ornament on it, and then started painting. As some members of this forum know, I am not an experienced painter. So it was very easy.

Here are some others I did last year:

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Thanks Ali, for the info on these. We don't have AC Moore here but next time I go to the city I will look at Micheal's and JoAnn Fabrics and see if they carry them. I like the two paint colors on Amanda's and Madison's as well as th fancier type on the others. Forgot to say you should be proud they kept your ornament with Fanny after her passing. I would of probably kept it and put it on the tree every year to remember her. My daughter's pet frog died and one of her husbands co-worker made a grave marker for her that is so stinkin cute. It is between the house and garage so when you walk up you see it. Wish I had a picture of it to show you.

• alisande
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope you'll take a picture of that grave marker. What a sweet thing to do!

I looked up the manufacturer of the glass ornaments, and found their website:

nicolecrafts.com

If you go there, it'll tell you where the products are available in your area.

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

They are not located in MT but thanks for taking the time to send me the link. They have a lot of cute ideas. Does the crafters have this link? I'll be going back to check the site out some more.
    Did you paint the names on the front or back of these ornaments?

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Hi...glad to see you stopping in again. We miss you! ~Anj

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths