Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

New Vase and Tray

phonegirl
14 years ago

This is my weekend projects I have done so thought I'd share. I think I'll give the tray to DH aunt and the vase to his DM or one of my friends. The other red and green snowman will be coasters or ornaments, not sure yet.

{{gwi:1446371}}

{{gwi:1446372}}

{{gwi:1446373}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• citytransplant(zone5)
    14 years ago

Oh Punk,

They are so sweet. Love the eyes and oh.. you do such beautiful leaves. The tray is outstanding! The vase is perfect for the round faces. Never though of round snowmen and round ginger faces and putting them together...very clever and the little snow guys...however you use them, too, too cute. Thanks for sharing and getting me in the mood to get down there and paint!

Joan

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Joan,

Thanks for your comments on my projects. JMP and Susan Kelley both have patterns with the ginger and snowman together. I believe this is the first time I've painted them together. I do not like painting little items so thanks. I did start some other ginger ornaments but don't know when I'll want to go back and finish.

Have you painted anything since you finish DGD stool? If so we want to see your goodies.TIA

Punk

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Hi Punk, I already commented on your tray and vase over on Holidays this morning, but will add that they are just darling and will look really cute in a vignette for Christmas. Remember you can display that tray on an easel or hang it on the wall as well as using it on a table. Is it wood? I can't tell for sure. And what a great way to use that vase, I think I have a couple just like it. Did you spray paint it for the basecoat? Designs just pop on a black background don't they? Okay, I'm getting inspired too--I need to get back to doing some more painting. Got the little GD today, but maybe tomorrow. ;o)

Luvs

P.S. Those little ornaments will look great on a tree or as tie ons to a package. Very cute! I'm not crazy about painting little things either--but they are so cute.

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

I'm beginning not to like this loosing posts business, lost 2 in two days!

Punk...WoW! The vase is so good! The little snowman looks like he is peeking around the gingerbread boy. And by using a black base they really pop.

Your little ornies have personalities all their own. They are darling and will make any tree or package special.

Thank you for posting these,

Belle

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luvs,

The tray is a heavy plastic and came from Target. It is at least 18" long. Thanks to your advise the vase was spray painted. Do you always use flat spray paint as your base? DH spray painted a purple one for me and I think it is satin paint so was wondering how it will be to paint on? I have a tall black one to paint and I just can't decide what to paint on it.

Did you get imspired enough to start another project??? I can hardly wait.

Belle,

So happy when you find time to post. I'm glad you liked them. I love painting on dark colors and find I'm doing more and more all the time. I sure don't like painting on small items. I think because I love doing eyes and I can't do much when they are so small.LOL

Punk

Was it last Fri. nite for DGS game? We need to know.

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Punk, If you think the paint is too slick, just spray a coat of Krylon matte 1311 over it to give it more "tooth".

Wow, I can't believe that's a plastic tray. I'll have to see if my Target has any--love the shape of it.

I am inspired--been selecting patterns and just need to get the surfaces ready. Need to do a thank you gift, and want to do a couple of Christmas gifts as well. My painting area is sort of messy--why do I tend to pile things in there to put away later????? Hopefully I'll get something done soon.

Luvs

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luvs,

The trays were $19.99 so not cheap but they are a nice design. I was using for a gift is why I spent that kind of money. Thanks so much for the advise on using the Krylon Matt 1311. Is this a clear spray for finishing? I always brush on my finish so I'm not up on clear finishing coats.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Yes, it's clear, just a matte finish-not shiny. I use the Krylon clear Triple Thick for the final sealer on most projects. I also have a couple of brush on products, but seldom use them anymore since I discovered the spray. Luvs

• anjabee
    14 years ago

Wow...love that tray Punk. I always love your black backgrounds. They do just pop the design right out. Everything looks great and I love the design you chose for them. They do have such sweet faces. ~A

• paintingfool
    14 years ago

I love the tray, especially the cut out area. I have always used Krylon 1311 but a few years back they changed the formula and which made it turn yellow on a lot of painted pieces. Now, after so many of our "big brushes" got together with the company, they have reformulated the product and we now have the clear spray again. The old spray would sometimes leave little white specks on a black finish. Glad to see yall are using it.

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

PF, I don't think I could paint without it! I first started using it back when I was doing allot of outlining with ink pens. The Krylon matte would seal the ink so it would not bleed when I sprayed the final sealer on. It even worked when we were painting on the heavy paper. Can't remember what that was called, something like "fraktar" or something similar to that I think. And I even like using it when I want to paint on a jar. I've bought the regular glass sealer, but find I like using the Krylon matte better--imagine it's just a matter of preference, but I think it's a really great product. Luvs

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anj, thanks and I'm glad you liked the tray and black back grounds. I like painting on black over white back ground. I'm going to try a light pink next and see how that goes.

PF, thatnks for your comment and glad you liked the tray also.

Thanks to PF and Luvs for the info on the sealer. I looked for the Krylon 1311 and couldn't find it. They had a gloss and satin. I might have to put in for a special order. The 1311 must be the number for the matte huh?

Punk

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Punk, even Walmart carries it. It is labeled Krylon matte 1311--you can't miss it. I have noticed that it is not always on the same shelf as the gloss and satin however.

You will find so many uses for it, and it lasts quite awhile because you are usually only using it to "mist" something, not to get complete coverage like you would with the regular final sealer coat. (It can be used for that too, but I usually like a shiner final sealer.)

Believe it or not, I actually got a couple projects started last night so hopefully will have something to share soon.

Luvs