Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phonegirl_gw

Yellow Roses Are Here

phonegirl
14 years ago

Good Evening,

I finished my yellow rose tray and need help. First I wish I wouldn't of painted the border like I did but don't want to repaint it black now. But my question is should I add a rose bud or some longer leaves to use more space on the tray?

Thanks and I'll wait to hear your comments. Thanks, Punk

{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• anjabee
    14 years ago

Well, I think they look awesome the way they are so I'll leave it to the rose experts to give their opinion on the buds. ha Great job Punk! Yellow roses were my grandmothers favorite flower. I always think of her when I see them. =) ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

The roses are very pretty as always Punk, and I even like the colors on the edges of the tray.

If it were me, and mind you, this is only my personal opinion, I would display the tray sideways with the two roses on the bottom. In that case, I do think a nice rosebud or two at the top right side would fit nicely.

So glad you are sharing your pretty rose trays with us. Are you just doing your own design, or are you following a picture or pattern? Love seeing all the colors you are using on them, there's something really special about yellow roses.

Luvs

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luvs and Anj, thanks for the comments and I'll try to paint something different for a change soon.

The blue and yellow rose trays are patterns of Priscillas. I have alot of her patterns traced out so will be painting several of her roses in the months to come. Like I said earlier I want to paint red but can't seem to just do it.

Luvs, thanks for the great idea and I will try to add a rose bud or two on the right side of the tray. I think it's prettier sitting on the side. Not sure why I took the picture up and down.

Anj, I keep thinking I will get yellow roses for around our home because my grandparents always had them on both sides of the back deck. Seems everyone likes a yellow rose and I love the song.

Punk

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

Punk........really beautiful roses and my favorite color for roses. The colors and balance is great and the leaves have me drooling again!

I agree with Luvs that a bud on either side would look nice and would fit the shape of the tray.

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the picture, and it could be the picture, is the border. It is so well painted but drew my eyes away from the center....just the opinion of someone who doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to do roses.

I have 5 roses and 3 are yellow and they bloom all summer.... just love roses, your look just like my live ones.

Belle

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Belle and Luvs,

Thanks for the comments. I painted the outside to take away from the roses since I'm a beginner.LOL I'm going to repost this sideways and tell me if you both still think a bud or two to the right (high or low) and what color bud it should be. Or should I do some leaves, bud and curleys? Thanks, Punk

{{gwi:1444801}}

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

I don't know that it really needs anything more! It is already very nice. You are no beginner, you paint great roses! Do be careful not to add too much and overdo it, sometimes less really is more! Luvs

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

It is still gorgeous! And looks more balanced in the new photo. Before you added anything I would chalk in some lines and see if you like them or not. As Luvs said less is better than more.

Now I am going to get out some watercolor paper and do 100 roses to see if I get a good one like all three of yours!

Belle

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Belle and Luvs,

You two are a kick in the pants! Not a beginner. I'm right behind you on painting 100 roses but I don't want to see failure from myself so I'll stop at 99.LOL

Now if we can be serious for a moment will you two please help me figure out why I like some of my roses better than others. Is it because some blend better? If this is the case, maybe it's important to use the colors the artist suggests. Any ideas? However if that's the case, I wouldn't have painted these roses.LOL

Thanks for the ideas and fun, ladies.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Punk, I've tried to figure out that same thing when I see painted roses. I think allot has to do with the contrast where they go from dark and BLEND into the highlighted part. For me, I seem to find the ones that look more loose and airy or relaxed most appealing. Those are the ones I CAN'T seem to paint! LOL

With that said, I've also seen lots and lots of projects that just have the "suggestion" of a rose and they lookreally pretty too--go figure! You know the ones I mean--where they just paint an oblong circle, then add some comma strokes--they can look really pretty on things too.

And have you seen the ones where they look like the "petals" are straight instead of curved and there are lots and lots of layers? Those look pretty to me too, but I sure can't paint them!

I really think we just have to find what works best for our own style of painting and go with that. Your's are looking really good, much more realistic than any of mine--maybe it's those pretty leaves of yours!

I seem to gravitate towards the more shabby chic types of roses--maybe that's because they don't require such perfect brush strokes to look good. I guarantee you that I could paint 100 roses and no two would look alike! Go figure! LOL

Luvs

• phonegirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Luvs,

I hear everything you've said and I think I'll just keep trying to paint what looks like a roses until I find my style. Maybe PF will have some answers when she gets back and has some free time.

Punk

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County