Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anjabee

Patriotic Pumpkins Glass Block

anjabee
15 years ago

This is a glass block I painted. It's a Barb Jones design from the Oct issue of Painting magazine. As soon as I saw it I had to paint it. I am going to order a wooden light base from her site that the glass block will sit on instead of drilling a hole in the back of the glass block to put lights in. That way I can change out the glass blocks easily for each holiday. So I'll be painting more of these along the way. I got a deal on the glass block...only $1 at the TS.

Luvs~ this is one of the things I had on the table at the ladies social. I got quite a few compliments. Yay! Made me feel good. =) ~Anj

Comments (10)

• learningtopaint
    15 years ago

HOw sweet is this!!!!!! It is very cute. Wish I had TS here like you. Mine never seem to have anything good. Of course I keep going and keep looking. It a hard job but someone has to do it.hahah
    Sue

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm with you Sue.....somebody's gotta do it! ha Our TS's are really good here. I can find something to paint every time I go so I have to restrain myself to only a few times a month. I've got quite a little stash to work on already. Glad you liked this. Barb Jones is my new favorite artist!! ~Anj

• paintgirl2008
    15 years ago

Love the block!Will you do one for Christmas?Can't wait to see it! I like the idea of a light box, instead of drilling.Around here the TS's never seem to have anything like you find! And they seem pretty high on some of their stuff (to me)
    But I still like to go!!

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    15 years ago

Great job on the glass block; can't wait to see more. Didn't know about the light; will check it out.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Anj, sorry I'm late to getting on here to see your cute block. It is just darling. I remember seeing that pattern in the mag, you did the artist proud. ;o)

I think that is such a great idea to be able to set them on the wooden block with the light in it. Will be fun to switch out different ones for the seasons/holidays.

Aren't there some "plastic" blocks that look like the glass ones? I think I read about them somewhere and they already had openings in them. Anyone seen any like that? I thought they were a good idea too.

Anj, did you spray paint your block white first? I love the bow you tied around it too.

Luvs

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya'll. It was a fun one to do and I'll try to get a Christmas one done. I could really just paint the back of this one since I'm not drilling a hole, but don't know how that will work with the light coming thru only the middle part.
    The light box that Barb Jones has on her site is sold out right now so I'm waiting for her to get more. If she doesn't have more soon I may try to come up with my own version. Yeah, me building something. That should be fun to watch. ha

Luvs~ I've seen those plastic ones online, but not in stores anywhere. Haven't been to Hobby Lobby in a while, but wonder if they'd have them.
    I didn't spray paint it first cause I didn't want overspray on the sides. Guess I could have painter taped it. Can't remember now, but I may have sprayed it with a clear matte before I started painting so the paint would stick better? Had so much going on around then so I was kinda working on auto pilot and just didn't retain a lot. Either way, I probably will on the next one.
    Got the cute ribbon at Michaels and just taped it underneath so I could change it out and then tied a dark raffia around the top. I thought it went good with the snowmans stick arms. Looks kinda fallish.
    ~Anj

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Fantastic piece! I have worked with glass blocks before but didn't care for the effect...your is great....you made the glass into a canvas and then added the picture. The drilling of the block isn't hard it just takes time, but I like your idea better.

Can't wait to see your christmas block!

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Anj, That glass block is so cute. Keep the fun rolling.

• paintingfool
    15 years ago

Anj, you know I love everything you do. Can't wait to see what you are doing for Christmas.
    B

• anjabee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks phonegirl and pezabelle....My DH drilled almost 40 of those glass blocks for a class I did at church last Christmas. (we modgepodged pictures on front & added the lights and bows) It does take a lot of time to drill them. I like the lighted box idea better too. ~Anj

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!