Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Summer watermelon

luvstocraft
15 years ago

Realized I hadn't painted anything for Summer yet. I cut out this little watermelon, it's from a Terrye French design.

I actually painted it on both sides just in case I might want to hang it on my lamppost, but right now I have it on the side door to my garage.

Comments (5)

• anjabee
    15 years ago

How cute. I love all the little wooden leaves and how did you do the little squares on the watermelon? The few times I've done them I cut up a sponge into a square and stamped them. Just curious if there was a better way. ha It's a great summer piece to add to your collection. And your speckling looks great! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Anj, I'm not crazy about this one, but it was interesting to do. It called for using a wet rag to rub the darker color on top of the base color--I had never done that before, but it worked good for getting the color to gradually decrease in intensity. The checks were just done using a stencil and a makeup sponge. This pic doesn't show the ones at the very top very well because of the glare. Wish I would have made the dark green shading a bit wider at the bottom too. Oh well, on to the next projects, right? LOL Luvs

• paintgirl2008
    15 years ago

That is the cutest sign!I am wondering did you cut all those leaves out one at a time? I really must get some wood and try to cut something, never have but I see so many nice things on here makes me want to!! You do beautiful work.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Paintgirl, I'm glad you liked my little sign. The leaves are different sizes, so no I didn't cut them all at once. It is possible to stack your thin wood and cut multiples at the same time, but I don't do that very often.

If you have a saw, you really should give cutting a try. I think it is allot like sewing, you just follow the line with the saw blade instead of a needle. If you ever want more details or if I can answer any questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to share what I've learned.

Luvs

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

I think your Welcome sign is cute just the way it is. Wish we had more of summer to come but here in Montana it is cooling off fast.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio