Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Summer watermelon

luvstocraft
15 years ago

Realized I hadn't painted anything for Summer yet. I cut out this little watermelon, it's from a Terrye French design.

I actually painted it on both sides just in case I might want to hang it on my lamppost, but right now I have it on the side door to my garage.

Comments (5)

• anjabee
    15 years ago

How cute. I love all the little wooden leaves and how did you do the little squares on the watermelon? The few times I've done them I cut up a sponge into a square and stamped them. Just curious if there was a better way. ha It's a great summer piece to add to your collection. And your speckling looks great! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Anj, I'm not crazy about this one, but it was interesting to do. It called for using a wet rag to rub the darker color on top of the base color--I had never done that before, but it worked good for getting the color to gradually decrease in intensity. The checks were just done using a stencil and a makeup sponge. This pic doesn't show the ones at the very top very well because of the glare. Wish I would have made the dark green shading a bit wider at the bottom too. Oh well, on to the next projects, right? LOL Luvs

• paintgirl2008
    15 years ago

That is the cutest sign!I am wondering did you cut all those leaves out one at a time? I really must get some wood and try to cut something, never have but I see so many nice things on here makes me want to!! You do beautiful work.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Paintgirl, I'm glad you liked my little sign. The leaves are different sizes, so no I didn't cut them all at once. It is possible to stack your thin wood and cut multiples at the same time, but I don't do that very often.

If you have a saw, you really should give cutting a try. I think it is allot like sewing, you just follow the line with the saw blade instead of a needle. If you ever want more details or if I can answer any questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to share what I've learned.

Luvs

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

I think your Welcome sign is cute just the way it is. Wish we had more of summer to come but here in Montana it is cooling off fast.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz