Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Chips & salsa anyone?

luvstocraft
14 years ago

Found this little wooden chips and salsa bowl at the TS. Never remember to take "before" pics, but it was just your standard natural wood with a finish over it. Had quite a few scrapes and scratches, but I thought it deserved a makeover. It was nice that the little white bowl for the salsa came with it. Thought it turned out kinda cute, would be fun to paint the same design on glasses, napkins, etc. Luvs

Comments (15)

• anjabee
    14 years ago

Oh wow! I do love that. Cinco de Mayo...you are ready. I think it would be really neat to have a whole set to match. I have seen those at the TS, but the little bowl is never with them. Probably gets put over with the dishes. Well, you did a great job on it. The black background makes them peppers pop and the speckling too. Now bring on the chips and salsa!! ha ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad you liked it, Anj. I think it is fun to find unusual things and repaint them. I plan to just put a sheet of plastic wrap on it, then pour on the chips. I'd love to find a non toxic sealer to use on items like this. Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Luvs, very cute. I think it almost looks like a decal, the way you shaded it. Great painting job! I really like the different colors you splattered on the background too.

As far as a sealer that is food safe, interesting. You can buy the wooden trays, bowls, cheese server sets,etc. so what makes them food safe? We'll have to do a little Debbie detective work and try to find the answer to that question, I guess.

My brother loves chili peppers, so I buy him something with chili pepers every year at Christmas time. Both times he's came up this summer he's brought different peppers he canned. DH likes them but I don't eat hot chili peppers at all.

Thanks for sharing another great project. Punk

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Punk, glad you liked my little "redo". On the pattern for this which was a lazy susan, they just called for "sealer". On another pattern I looked at for a cake tray, it says "exterior varnish". Wouldn't think either of those would be for use with food! I think Mod Podge is non toxic, but think it would be too "sticky" for this type project, don't you? Maybe someone will come along with a good answer for us. Hope things are going well for you, and you'll be back painting soon. Luvs

• paintingfool
    14 years ago

Luvs, you always come up with the neatest ideas. This is really cute and very funtional.

I can't help you with the varnish question. I rarely paint anything that I would put food in - however, I would think that since most of the varnish we use is water based, it might be non-toxic. I like the idea of putting Saran wrap over it - just to be on the safe side.

• anjabee
    14 years ago

If it's just dry chips would it really matter? How about cutting a piece of clear plexiglass to insert. It would be easy to wash and you could still see the design real good.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In all honesty, I hadn't really worried about using it for dry chips either, but someone on another forum asked about it and made me think it might be an issue. I think it's okay since it won't have "moist" food touching it so shouldn't come off at all. Even to clean it would be with just a damp cloth. Thanks for your input. Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

I haven't had time to check out any more on food safety but thought I'd ask if any on you had looked into it any further. Your tray is so cool. Punk

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

I wish I had your imagination! I would look at this tray and go "what would I ever do with that?" And you turn it into a work of art!!!!!

Long ago when everything was varnished, and kids chewed on stuff - I don't remember anyone getting sick from it...and as you say it will be dry things. My only concern would be oils from the food coming in contact with the tray and leaving spots. Ya' don't want to go around saying "Out Dang Spot" (Shakespeare pun) Job well done!

Belle

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I finally got my little box and glasses painted, thought you might like to see them.

Let me just state that I do NOT like painting on glass! I used gloss enamels and got pretty good coverage I think. These will probably all be given as gifts I think.

Luvs

• anjabee
    14 years ago

Wow, those will go great with your tray. Looks awesome!! I don't like painting on glass either unless I can spray paint the whole thing first. =) ~Anj

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Luvs,
    They both turned out great. I love it. Are you going to splatter the caddy? What a wonderful set you have going. Punk

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good idea Punk, I had forgotten all about the spattering--and I do like the look of it on things. I figured this caddy could hold paper plates or condiment bottles maybe. Might have to see if I can use them in a tablescape. I saw some kitchen towels with peppers on them the other day--might get a couple to use with these. They were a fun project, I love to redo items. Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Luvs,

Be sure to post here if you do a tablescape with these. Will you use black dishes or do you have solid red, green or yellow? You should grab the towels and is there some way you could cut them in half and use as napkins with some colored rings? You could always add ric rac to any solid placemats or napkins to match your glasses huh?

Oh my goodness, listen to me getting into tablescapes with you. Oh I have to tell you I had a friend over and she seen my set of OLD TRENTHAM SPRAYS by ROYAL DOULTON CHINA and about flipped out over them. My mom inherited these from her aunt and then passed them down to me.

Best go and talk to you later. Punk

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

Luvs...just watched Table Talk with Patricia Rawlinson and she suggested using any wax used with wooden salad bowls to seal your painted and varnished project what will be used with food. They can be re-waxed as needed.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH