Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintgirl2008

Before and After

paintgirl2008
15 years ago

This is a before and after pic of an old box I found at TS. When I saw it I immediately thought PAINTING SURFACE!! Don't know what I will use it for, but it turned out pretty good. I enjoy painting old things. When I go to thrift stores or yard sales I always look for things that I can redo. It is amazing what a coat of paint can do! I have a couple of other boxes I will post later

when I finish with them. Have a happy day and happy painting!!!

Comments (11)

• learningtopaint
    15 years ago

Can I just say WOW. Beautiful .
    Sue

• anjabee
    15 years ago

It turned out just beautiful! I was gonna suggest using it as a magazine holder, but it looks like it has a divider in the middle. I know you'll find lots of uses for it. You could use it for holding tv remotes or put a pot in each side to hold plants or flowers, on your desk for holding pens and scissors and small notepads, on your kitchen counter to hold wooden spoons & flavored oils, even utensils and napkins on your picnic table. I love repurposing too. Let us know how you decide to use it! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Love what you did with it! Your painted roses are so pretty--I love roses. Really like the background too. Want to share how you did it please?

Now as for what to do with it--you could send it to me! LOL Just teasing, but it sure is pretty and so great that you gave it such a pretty new life.

Luvs

• paintgirl2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you ladies for the nice compliments. I am leaning toward a flower arrangement for the box.It is so nice to be able to share things like this with others who have the same interests. The background was sponged on. I did a base coat and sponged with Berry Wine and White. I like sponging, it makes a very good background and you can make it as soft as you like-there is no limit to what can be done with a little paint! I love it!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Paintgirl, did you follow a pattern for your roses or do you do them freehand? They have a very "old world" look to them I think. Very nice. Luvs

• paintgirl2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did not have a pattern for the roses, and thank you for saying they look "old world". That is an effect I have been hoping to achieve.I love old roses and Victorian themes. Old barns and old houses, anything with a nostalgic feel. My Mother had roses the color of these in her yard, and their smell was wonderful. We had roses for a few years, but in my area they get "black spot" really bad so we gave up on them after awhile.They are still my favorite flower, tho.
    Happy Saturday and God bless!
    Shirley

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Wonderful makeovers and love your choice of color and flowers. Keep posting and know we enjoy.

• luthien
    15 years ago

wow! that was a real transformation! good job phonegirl! yea... i agree with luvs, it's old world but lovely... you used a square brush for this? or you used the slanted brush (forgot what it's called... is it shader?) your style looks like the one with the slanted brush...

• paintgirl2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Luthien for the kind words. yes I used an angle brush, When I first started trying to paint roses I tried every kind of brush and the angle seems to fit the way I paint.There are very few painting classes around here,so I mostly relied on books and "trial and error". I love all styles of painting, but victorian seems to be mostly my thing.I am always amazed when I paint something and it looks good!!I am thankful to be part of it and the wonderful, wonderful people on this forum.
    "painting people" are the best.!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Paintgirl, I'd love to see more of your "victorian" painting, especially your roses. I loved this project when you first posted it too. And I really love "before and afters", it is so great to be able to give a piece a "makeover" isn't it? Luvs

• luthien
    15 years ago

oops! sorry paintgirl...think i must have been fuzzy when i wrote the name :) in any case... wonderful wonderful work :) yea... angle brush, now i remember :)... hmmm... really fuzzy...

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living