Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Christmas boxes

luvstocraft
15 years ago

While browsing through some old painting magazines, I ran across a pattern for some boxes. I suddenly realized that I had some similar boxes that had been stashed in my craft cabinet for years and years. Long story short, I dug them out and painted them up. The design is by Deb Malewski and was in the December 06 Quick & Easy Painting magazine. There were only three patterns and I had four boxes so I just created a design to go on the smallest box. Nice thing is that these boxes all store inside each other.

Anj, I'm not sure why I wanted to do this project, it had lots of lettering which is not my favorite thing and the sides are speckled besides! LOL

Luvs

Comments (9)

• paintgirl2008
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!I love Christmas stuff any time of year. You did a great job on the lettering. Makes me want to open presents!!!

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Well you certainly have to stop talking bad about your lettering. You may not enjoy it, but you always do a great job of it. ha They turned out so pretty! Perfect patterns for it. The big box I have is round. So how many coats of sealer did you end up putting on it before you started?? You did those so quickly. Great little set for display as well as storing holiday items in too. I love em! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks gals, they were a fun project. I just wanted to say that I did not mess up on the O in Noel, the pattern had it crooked like that. I thought about making it straight, then decided to just follow the pattern! LOL

I came to the conclusion that the sealer is not needed on this type of boxes. Actually caused the first blue I used to not adhere well. I used the brush on sealer, maybe my spray sealer would have been better--or no sealer at all.

I try really hard on the lettering but for some reason mine never seems to look as smooth and perfect as the pattern. But then, my painting usually isn't as good as what's on the pattern either for that matter. ;o)

Luvs

• anjabee
    15 years ago

"I try really hard on the lettering but for some reason mine never seems to look as smooth and perfect as the pattern. But then, my painting usually isn't as good as what's on the pattern either for that matter."

Pardon my French, but Bullhocky! teehee I think your lettering looks perfect! As does your painting. I don't think you can get muck closer to the ones I've seen. Stop being so hard on yourself woman! ha I thought the "O" was supposed to be like that so I never thought it was crooked. ha I forgot to say that you did an excellent job coming up with a compatible painting on the littlest box. It totally looks like it goes with the set. And thanks for the tips on sealing the boxes. =) ~Anj

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Your ahead of the game I see. Adorable boxes. I have been so busy with work and my yard I've been missing out on posting.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wondered where you had been Phonegirl--glad to see you back on here. I know what you mean, real life does sometimes get in the way of our "fun" time, doesn't it? LOL

After seeing pics of your yard, I can see why you have been busy--it is huge and so very nice too.

Luvs

• calirose
    15 years ago

I am a day after Christmas baby, and I love all the glitter and sparkle any time of the year.

Your boxes are absolutely terrific!! The lettering is perfect. And, the additional design fits perfectly also.

Rhonda

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Calirose, I was glad to finally decide on a pattern to use on the boxes. Now at least they can be used for decoration--better than just in the supply cabinet. It was a fun project, and I learned allot about painting on paper mache. Luvs

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Your lettering looks great. You don't really want it to look machine made, you know. Hand painted has a special charm you just don't get with factory stuff, and that's part of what makes it so very, very special. The boxes are darling and you should feel very proud of your work. Your kids and grandkids will treasure your things for years to come.