Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Sign for garden gate

luvstocraft
16 years ago

Made this little sign using a pattern from the April 2007 issue of Painting magazine. Pattern is by Jayna James and was shown on a painted bucket.

I added the little fence from another pattern in the same book. I wish I would have left out the big sun, just too big and dominant IMHO. I antiqued the sign to tone it down a bit for my tastes too.

Was just a cute, fun, easy project to paint--and it looks cute on my side gate. Luvs

Comments (27)

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Aw luvs, it's adorable. It does look good on your garden gate. I have to disagree with you on the sun though. I like it. Lots of great details. Love the look of the birdseed and your shading is perfect as always. Your rocks look really good. I still struggle with that. The incorporated fence looks like it belongs there. Ya done good once again. It's one of those that makes you smile when you see it. Totally worth the wait!! :D ~Anj

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

I love it, love it, love it. And I like the sun a lot. You always make the cutest things. Can't say that I have painted much lately, just a couple of T-shirts. The one with 40 fish I think will be reduced 9 fish. Just don't want to spend that much time on it. Gave my Macaw jeans away to a friend, another fish shirt to my grand daughters teacher, think I will keep this one.

Glad to see someone painting again.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad the two of you enjoyed my little sign. Like I said, it was really pretty simple, can't explain why it took me so long to get it finished! LOL

Anj, thanks for the nice compliments. You are so sweet. Don't know about you, but sometimes when I just have part of the base coat on and it looks not so great--I think "this looks terrible". But if I just persevere, it usually ends up looking fine in the end. Ha ha

Bebe, good to see you. I have been missing you on here and the other forum. Everybody seems to be pretty busy right now. You really should keep one shirt for yourself, your painting is so nice, and the fish theme is just perfect for a Florida lady! All the tourist will be in awe when they
    see it. ;o)

Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

BTW, I just realized that I borrowed this Painting mag from the library last visit and I must say that I like yours better than the original. I can see a few subtle changes and colors that I like better and I like your shading better too. Glad you made it your own and no worries about holding your own against the originals!! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anj, I always make some changes that fit my style of painting better. And long ago I quit going out to find the recommended paint colors--I just pull something similar from my stash.

When I first started, I thought mine had to be identical to the one pictured in the book. But then I realized that I NEEDED to substitute colors that worked with MY decor.

And trust me, my details will never be as good as the artists--and I've learned to live with that fact! LOL

My hardest thing is figuring out what surface to paint the design on. In this case, I couldn't figure out what I'd do with a bucket--so decided to just do it on something I could put outside. More room out there. LOL

You are so fortunate that your library carries such a good selection of magazines. Our's has Crafts and Things and several like Martha, and Oprah, and House Beautiful, etc. I even saw some scrapbooking ones--but no painting ones.

Almost time to fix dinner so I'd better get going. I'll catch you later.

Luvs

P.S. Check your email--I sent you one with an amazing dancing horse.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

As always Luvs, it's absolutely beautiful. I like the Sun too, you don't know what your talking about girlfriend!!!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wouldn't be the first time, Sal. LOL Glad you like it. Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

That horse was pretty amazing! I've seen them do tricks, but he was right with the beat wasn't he? Almost looked like he was floating at times. DH liked it too. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Glad you enjoyed seeing the dancing horse. I loved that it even danced with the hind feet. Very graceful for such a big animal. I'm saving that one on my laptop so I can show it to my sister when we go there in August. She and her DH used to break and train horses for horse shows and barrel racing--no dancing that I am aware of--but I know she will love seeing this one. Luvs

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, it finally popped into my brain! The plant behind the sign is a Fuschia. Not sure I spelled it right, but you get the idea.

There were three here when we bought the house. They grow really big--in fact I usually cut them back every year. After the freeze this year, I cut them way back and they are now growing like crazy.

Little GD loves to pick the flowers, and they have so many on them, that I really don't mind. I do discourage her only because her Mommy wouldn't like it if she started picking her flowers because Gramma let her do it! LOL

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Thanks luvs~ do you think they would do well here? I'll have to look for one at my nursery. If they grow big I have the perfect spot for one. I'll pop over to the gardening forum and see if I can find out about them. Thanks again. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not sure Anj. I saw some in hanging pots at our Lowe's the other day. Actually, until we moved here, that's the only way I had seen them. Had no idea they would grow as tall as my block wall! I usually cut mine back when they get to looking too bushy. They just grow back really well. I find I like them best when I can tie them to the fence, otherwise they end up drooping over allot. I like them tied up so the flowers "dangle". Luvs

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Luvs,I finally got back over here and i just Love that sign,and really like the way you do your thing with your paintings.

I also have that fuschia,and believe me you can't even kill it no matter how hard you try.Ask me how i know?? I've given away lots of cuttings from it also.I also cut it back every year and it always comes back.
    Kathi

• gail1055
    16 years ago

Luvs,
    If you don't mind I would like to use that blue jean girl in a sign I'm thinking of doing. I want to create a gardening angel sign and I think she'd look good with some angel wings. Gail

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kathi, how do you do cuttings of it? That would be neat.

Yeah, I always thought they were "fragile" until this house. Mine have been cut back many times and always come back fuller and better than before. Two of mine are tied up so they "hang" and look nice. The other one is not, so it looks like a big bush. I need to figure out a way to tie it up too.

Glad you liked my little sign. I like these cute little fun things.

Luvs

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gail, help yourself--I got this pattern from Painting magazine. Jayna James designs lots of cute garden girls. Can you just look at it to design your own? Let me know if you need a better pic. Luvs

• annielu
    16 years ago

luvs,
    It's beautiful!!! Luv it!!!

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was surprised to see this post again! Thanks Annielu, I'm glad you liked it, it was a fun one to paint. Luvs

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Luvs,finally saw this post again.For my cuttings i just cut off a piece that has a nice straight shape to it,dip it in rooting compound,make a hole in the ground with a stick and stick it in then pat the dirt in all around it,water and wait.Easy,peasy.
    Kathi

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! That sounds easy enough even I could do it! Will get some rooting compound and give it a try. Have one spot that I would like them to be a little "thicker" to fill the area better--that might be my solution. Thanks, Kathi. Luvs

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

luvs: THIS IS GREAT!!!
    JUST MAKES YOU FEEL WARM AND COZY!!
    This would be a great gift for ANYONE !!!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    I picture it must look like YOU !!!
    God Bless!
    susiesunshine

• luthien
    15 years ago

LUVS!!!!! This is totally adooooooorable!!!! it's so so so so so cute! i love the way you did the hair all curly and sticking out of the hat! LOL!!! looks like mine when i'm all flustered with work! hahahaha! too cute :))))))) it's out in the open...with all the elements... how do you protect it? it would be a shame to see it ruined!

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Luvs, It's a good thing to have Luthien on here bringing up old posts. I hadn't seen this and it is so cute. Lots of little detail. I love the bird feeder, not quite full. That's great. I still love bird houses so this is my kinda picture.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can see Luthien is having some fun browsing through the gallery. I remember when I first found this forum, I had so much fun doing the same thing!

Thanks for the compliments. I put three coats of sealer on this one, but alas, the birds seem to have a fly zone over this gate and it gets "bombed" allot! I'm thinking about cleaning it up and putting a couple coats of brush on sealer on it now.

Luvs

• anjabee
    15 years ago

This is one of my favorites too! Glad to see it again. =) ~Anj

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Luvs..........your sign brings a smile and that is the best thing in the world! It is so warn and the colors are wonderful! I love bird houses - my former kitchen was done with a painted birdhouse border, not quite half way up on the walls. And lots of actual painted birdhouse hanging or sitting. (I feed the birds outside all year long and love it)

• anjabee
    12 years ago

bump